Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 07:45 PM

2 posts, read 8,138 times

Advertisements

We have a job opportunity in Frederick, MD... Convince me as to why we should go... Should we live in Frederick or are there surrouding areas that are really nice... willing to drive 20-30 miles if necessary. We have 4 kids under 14 so schools are important - would like at least 1/2 acre so we're not on top of our neighbors. Moving from Colorado Springs - which we love, but the job is incredilble... Convince me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 08:54 AM

156 posts, read 423,750 times
Frederick is an up and coming area. It is a mix of rural and suburban. It has historical areas and is about an hour or so from Balt. and Wash. DC. It is considered to be Western MD and has small mountains/hills and is very green and lush in spring/summer with beautiful autumn leaves and some snow but relatively mild winters. There are tons of places to visit for day trips from there. Take a family trip this summer and check it out for yourself.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:45 AM

7,017 posts, read 11,307,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonna2trips View Post
Frederick is an up and coming area. It is a mix of rural and suburban. It has historical areas and is about an hour or so from Balt. and Wash. DC. It is considered to be Western MD and has small mountains/hills and is very green and lush in spring/summer with beautiful autumn leaves and some snow but relatively mild winters. There are tons of places to visit for day trips from there. Take a family trip this summer and check it out for yourself.

When I hear "up and coming" it normally means a blighted neighborhood being gentrified. Frederick is nothing of the sort. The language that I would use is that the county is in the process of "suburbanization." 30 years ago it was a small historic downtown (Frederick City) and then dairy farms. Now the city is surrounded by a ring of sub-divisions and the rural areas are seeing big houses and low density developments being built.

Also, for people in the know, Frederick County is not Western Maryland. Frederick is on the periphery of the D.C/Baltimore metro and has far more in common historically and currently with the other counties of Central Maryland along the Mason Dixon line like Carroll, Harford, and even Washington County.

The real Western Maryland is Allegany and Garrett Counties, rugged mountainous terrain, thinly populated, heavily forested, isolated from the effects (positive and negative) of the DC/Baltimore metro area.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:29 PM

516 posts, read 1,375,869 times
I love Frederick I think it's a fun place to be.. we are moving to Brunswick (in Frederick Co) and I highly suggest it. It's not trendy, but good people and fun things to do... It really depends on what you want as far as housing to know what area to suggest... I would probably say Myersville, Middletown, Brunswick, Thurmont would all allow you to get the acerage you want..

Old 05-22-2010, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,581 times
My husband and I have lived here for more than 8 years, and we love it here. We are just east of Frederick City, and we've had 2 kids and no complaints. DC and Baltimore are both only an hour away, and Frederick has a TON of stuff to do (summer concert series, Alive@Five happy hour on the creek, First Saturday, great Parks& Rec dep't, lots of parks). Check out Greatschools.com to see the ranking for the schools- Frederick County has the second best rated schools in the state, and I believe the state schools are ranked one of the highest in the country. The crime rate is low, there are 3 solid months of each season, and the people are very friendly. Downtown is more liberal, the suburbs are more conservative. Lots of civil war history w/in a 30 min drive (Gettysburg, Antietam, Harper's Ferry). Appalachian Trail for hiking runs along the western county border. C&O Canal for biking runs along the Potomac River (southern county border) all the way to DC. Two great lake areas (Gambrill and Cunningham) with beaches for swimming in the summer. It's a great place for a family!

Old 05-23-2010, 05:31 AM

36 posts, read 109,522 times
I'll just chime in specifically about the schools, since I'm currently researching that myself (and others have already covered a lot of the good things about Frederick!). Of the public schools in Frederick, Middletown seems to be considered "the best" from what i've found. Although, as a previous poster stated, the county's system is good overall, too. Outside of Frederick Co, Smithsburg schools in Washington Co are also considered very good ( and I'm sure others can speak to other stand-out schools. I live in Smithsburg, and the schools were a big "selling point" when we moved here)

Old 05-24-2010, 02:29 PM

52 posts, read 175,503 times
Default Great Mountain Views in Frederick Maryland

you can live on a mountain ( well 1800 ft above sea level) with nice views of sun rises or sunsets, and commute 20 minutes to your new job. Look at Maps and see Catoctin Ridge or South Moutain. These are wonderful places and towns are either old fashioned, or up and coming. Lots for kids to do and plenty of sports organizations. Besides, you will be so much closer to the beach than you are in Colorado !!

Last edited by knoxgarden; 05-24-2010 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: Deleted real estate advertising

Old 05-24-2010, 06:32 PM

461 posts, read 1,283,947 times
Smithsburg, Boonsboro, Myersville, Middletown are nice small towns with great schools.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:52 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Also, for people in the know, Frederick County is not Western Maryland. Frederick is on the periphery of the D.C/Baltimore metro and has far more in common historically and currently with the other counties of Central Maryland along the Mason Dixon line like Carroll, Harford, and even Washington County.
I agree (though I'm not sure I'd include Harford County in the list), but you forgot to mention the counties just across the Mason-Dixon Line like Adams County, York County, and even Franklin County.

Dating back from my time living in Harrisburg (mid-2000 to early 2008), I've long thought south central PA (especially the three PA counties I mentioned above) and central MD, especially Frederick, Carroll, and Washington Counties, have a lot of similarities. Those similarities are particularly striking in the counties that are "natural pairs", i.e. York (PA) and Carroll (MD), Adams (PA) and Frederick (MD), and Franklin (PA) and Washington (MD).

Incidentally, I really like the Frederick area and much of Frederick County in general, though I don't like the extensive sprawl surrounding the core/older area of the city of Frederick.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:00 PM

6 posts, read 15,874 times
I agree with the Smithsburg and Middletown Braddock Heights, Brunswick, point of Rocks etc as being great places to live
Frederick in many areas is still a great place to live sadly much of downtown has been taken over by people from Montgomery Co and well things are not as down home and friendly as they were in the 70 and 80's.
Now if you smile and say hi tey think you want to rob them back than you said hi it was likely cause you knew them

I miss that about this town but it is still a great place Just have to live on the outer parts to get good safe schools and lower cost housing and peace and quiet
I moved back here from Baltimore after living there 30 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick