Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 08:48 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,861,703 times

Advertisements

I never buy cheap wine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 08:58 PM

61,662 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Usually if is about health or safety.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:58 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Usually if is about health or safety.
It's funny how different people can be about that. I'll pick something that looks edible up off the sidewalk, brush most of the dirt off, and enjoy it. Lucky thing I don't chew gum. I wouldn't spend one cent more on something just because it has a safety feature. I quit using blunt-nose scissors a long time ago.

I only read the safety warnings on extension cords when I need a good laugh. "Do not leave plugged in when not in use". Yeah, right. When I quit reading in bed, and ready to go to sleep, I crawl under the bed and unplug the extension cord on my reading light and put it in a safe place where my kids and dog can't find it, and where it won't be exposed to extreme temperatures.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:48 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I only read the safety warnings on extension cords when I need a good laugh. "Do not leave plugged in when not in use". Yeah, right. When I quit reading in bed, and ready to go to sleep, I crawl under the bed and unplug the extension cord on my reading light and put it in a safe place where my kids and dog can't find it, and where it won't be exposed to extreme temperatures.
I read the safety warning tag on my truck's sun visor just this past week. The big thing that covers the whole windshield?

"Do not drive with shield in place."

Old 06-12-2010, 07:08 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,945,187 times
I am not frugal when I think the extra money being spent actually brings a good value.

I buy good and healthy food (though not organic) because it makes me feel better to eat it than it does if I eat cheap and unhealthy food. But I won't spend $300 for a pair of ripped up jeans, since there is no extra value to spending that amount on something when I can get essentially the same thing for 1/10th the cost.

I'm not all that frugal overall, but I try not to waste money. I have nice TVs, a nice house, a nice car, etc. But I don't like mindless wasting of money.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:18 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,185,309 times
I am on my 7th new car in my lifetime.

I buy cars new and expect 200,000 miles of trouble free $$$$$ driving out of them.

Amazing that many of my friends/relatives who ridicule me for buying new, sure seem to stick a lot of money into their vehicle they bought used. ( before it even hits 100,000 miles )

Old 06-12-2010, 07:27 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,185,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alixjack View Post
Do you pay more for organic produce? Or environmentally-friendly products? Are big tvs your thing? Do you like to stay current in fashion trends? Maybe you really like fancy shoes? Or cars?

Just curious.

I consider myself to be pretty frugal. I cut coupons. I don't really buy new clothing unless something becomes stained or sprouts holes, and even then I start at thrift-stores and move on to low-priced stores, like forever 21 or Target. I do a lot of cooking at home and rarely eat at restaurants. I use washcloths and dishtowels to cut down on the expense of sponges and paper towels.. BUT, I have a big television and a blu-ray player and I only buy organic foods.

I feel that the blu-ray player and television KIND OF pay for themselves since we don't go to out the the cinema anymore, and the organic food might keep health costs down?

What are the things that you won't skimp on?

Many people are brainwashed when it comes to food they believe is healthy.

Last night on tv( KSTP Minneapolis) they reported 3 more cases of E-coli traced back to a small dairy farm in Minnesota.

The cases came from his customers from Minneapolis who pay top dollar to buy raw milk from him.

The spokesperson for that group from Minneapolis is a woman with a PHD who refuses to accept the fact that the raw milk from that farm is unhealthy.

Using phrases like--" tasty"---"nutritous"---" healthy" she ( and others) have brainwashed people into paying high prices for an unhealthy product.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:00 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I am not frugal when I think the extra money being spent actually brings a good value.

I buy good and healthy food (though not organic) because it makes me feel better to eat it than it does if I eat cheap and unhealthy food. But I won't spend $300 for a pair of ripped up jeans, since there is no extra value to spending that amount on something when I can get essentially the same thing for 1/10th the cost.

I'm not all that frugal overall, but I try not to waste money. I have nice TVs, a nice house, a nice car, etc. But I don't like mindless wasting of money.
Everybody, whether fugal or not, thinks the extra money actually brings good value. I know what you mean, though. Designer labels, right?

You mean you can find ripped-up jeans for only $30? Tell me where.

As for "cheap and unhealthy", I hope you're not talking about generic branding. There are probably some name brand food products that contain a more healthful mix of ingredients, but not many.

I'm glad I didn't waste money buying a "nice TV" two years before the switch to HD. It wouldn't have mattered, though, I still never replaced it with HD. But the picture and sound are still perfect, and I paid only $130. New! 20".

Last edited by jtur88; 06-12-2010 at 09:09 AM..

Old 06-12-2010, 09:13 AM

50,345 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I hate poor quality, so I won't skimp on things like the furniture we sit on every day, mattresses, pillows, and things to do with comfort. I will also pay more to buy something from a local company over something imported or a chain store.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:33 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,945,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Everybody, whether fugal or not, thinks the extra money actually brings good value. I know what you mean, though. Designer labels, right?

You mean you can find ripped-up jeans for only $30? Tell me where.

As for "cheap and unhealthy", I hope you're not talking about generic branding. There are probably some name brand food products that contain a more healthful mix of ingredients, but not many.

I'm glad I didn't waste money buying a "nice TV" two years before the switch to HD. It wouldn't have mattered, though, I still never replaced it with HD. But the picture and sound are still perfect, and I paid only $130. New! 20".
You can buy any old pair of jeans, and rip them up yourself! No need to effectively pay somebody else $270 to do it. And it's more fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living