Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 11:37 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,585,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
You can buy any old pair of jeans, and rip them up yourself! No need to effectively pay somebody else $270 to do it. And it's more fun!
What I meant was, why would anybody pay $30 (one tenth of $300) for a pair of jeans in ANY condition? You can get brand new ones, off the shelf, retail, for $10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 12:00 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,665,772 times
Where does your frugality end?

When I am 6 feet underground pushing daisies...

Actually I learned the other day that all the maintenance that you do on your car can have your car lasting 200,000 to 900,000 miles. Thats the secret according to the mechanic. Maintain your car with whatever it needs and it can last many , many years...

Old 06-12-2010, 12:55 PM

18 posts, read 44,972 times
I guess it's what you are used to. Our microwave died, we thought maybe we should buy a new one. After a month we didn't even think about it. We drink coffee so it was heat the water on the stove and make some joe, no big deal until my sister came over for Thanksgiving and said she needed a microwave to cook. She brought a microwave gift for us. Wish she hadn't, I liked the extra counter space.

Our dryer died, again...we thought, we should buy a new one. We didn't. My wife would hang clothes around the house at night to dry in winter and outside in the summer. I felt better that winter, seemed like a bit more moisture in the air than usual, less dry nose problems. Then some relative thought we needed a new dryer and bought us one. Then there goes the electric bill again.

I buy all of my work clothes at goodwill and tshirts too. People will read something on a tshirt and comment about it and I'll say, "what?" then they'll point at the shirt, my reply, "got it at goodwill and have no idea what it means....nor do I care". My jeans, goodwill. They last about 6 months to a year with the type of work I do, $3-7 for a pair of jeans, works for me.

Frugality end? Not with me. Besides, I don't have a bunch of money or cushy job so frugality is not something I want to do, it's a way of life. I have a computer and internet for my wifes work and my business, required and tax deductable.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Where does your frugality end?

When I am 6 feet underground pushing daisies...

Actually I learned the other day that all the maintenance that you do on your car can have your car lasting 200,000 to 900,000 miles. Thats the secret according to the mechanic. Maintain your car with whatever it needs and it can last many , many years...
And all the lottery tickets you buy CAN win you 20 to 90 million dollars.

The lottery tickets and the car maintenance have two more things in common. Neither is guaranteed, but the investment increases your chances.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:59 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,004,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alixjack View Post
Do you pay more for organic produce? Or environmentally-friendly products? Are big tvs your thing? Do you like to stay current in fashion trends? Maybe you really like fancy shoes? Or cars?

Just curious.

I consider myself to be pretty frugal. I cut coupons. I don't really buy new clothing unless something becomes stained or sprouts holes, and even then I start at thrift-stores and move on to low-priced stores, like forever 21 or Target. I do a lot of cooking at home and rarely eat at restaurants. I use washcloths and dishtowels to cut down on the expense of sponges and paper towels.. BUT, I have a big television and a blu-ray player and I only buy organic foods.

I feel that the blu-ray player and television KIND OF pay for themselves since we don't go to out the the cinema anymore, and the organic food might keep health costs down?

What are the things that you won't skimp on?
Food - organic (when I can find it locally), grass fed meats, farm raised free range organic chicken. Food is, after all, what keeps us alive.

I also keep my heat/air at a comfortable temperature.

My car is 16 years old, but I buy premium gasoline for it and get the oil changed every 4,000 miles.

We don't have a television and the last time I saw a movie was 2004. So it's a trade off, I guess.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-12-2010, 10:05 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,004,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Many people are brainwashed when it comes to food they believe is healthy.

Last night on tv( KSTP Minneapolis) they reported 3 more cases of E-coli traced back to a small dairy farm in Minnesota.

The cases came from his customers from Minneapolis who pay top dollar to buy raw milk from him.

The spokesperson for that group from Minneapolis is a woman with a PHD who refuses to accept the fact that the raw milk from that farm is unhealthy.

Using phrases like--" tasty"---"nutritous"---" healthy" she ( and others) have brainwashed people into paying high prices for an unhealthy product.
One case of e-coli poisoning from raw milk and it's all you hear about on the news for WEEKS. 250,000 people die from medical treatment, drug interraction and overdoses from prescribed medications and people just shrug their shoulders and look the other way.

Raw milk is not dangerous. Unfortunately, the people who were selling this milk did not take the necessary precautions to keep it from getting contaminated. Restaurants get busted 5000 times a day all over this country for exactly the same thing and you never hear about it in the newspaper.

God, I'll NEVER forget the food poisoning I got from Red Lobster one time. I was sick for two days straight.

Didn't read about that in the papers either, did you?

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-12-2010, 11:00 PM

764 posts, read 1,552,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pktn View Post
I buy all of my work clothes at goodwill and tshirts too. People will read something on a tshirt and comment about it and I'll say, "what?" then they'll point at the shirt, my reply, "got it at goodwill and have no idea what it means....nor do I care". My jeans, goodwill. They last about 6 months to a year with the type of work I do, $3-7 for a pair of jeans, works for me.
I do the same thing for my shirts. I bought one that said "Jersey Shore is the pump king" I had no idea what that meant but it only cost a dollar. Later on i found out it was about some gay show. Oh well i still where it. By the way, my frugal ways end with my sweet dvd collection.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:04 AM

16,349 posts, read 30,059,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Many people are brainwashed when it comes to food they believe is healthy.

Last night on tv( KSTP Minneapolis) they reported 3 more cases of E-coli traced back to a small dairy farm in Minnesota.

The cases came from his customers from Minneapolis who pay top dollar to buy raw milk from him.

I have dairy farmers on both sides of the family and I know of no one who either consumes raw milk or will sell raw milk except to licensed dairy processors. Any one who has spent hours milking cows by hand or by mechanical milker knows that there is bacteria all around the process.

The last dairy in Ohio to sell raw milk poisoned a minimum of 75 people in 2003.

I find it incredible that so many are ready to put aside 150 years of science. However, I should not be surprised as I have seen hundreds of children hospitalized because their parents don't believe in vaccinations.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:33 AM

I bought milk for my family for 7 years, exclusively from a dairyman, who allowed his trusted friends and neighbors to come and help themselves to milk right from the cooler, and leave the money in a box. If I got there at the right time, the milk was still cow-body temperature. My son grew up on it, and is now a professional athlete. There was corn, apples, eggs, wheat, whatever they had that was more than the family needed.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:14 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,109,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I have dairy farmers on both sides of the family and I know of no one who either consumes raw milk or will sell raw milk except to licensed dairy processors. Any one who has spent hours milking cows by hand or by mechanical milker knows that there is bacteria all around the process.

The last dairy in Ohio to sell raw milk poisoned a minimum of 75 people in 2003.

I find it incredible that so many are ready to put aside 150 years of science. However, I should not be surprised as I have seen hundreds of children hospitalized because their parents don't believe in vaccinations.

Bingo !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living