Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 11:21 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,159,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Food - organic (when I can find it locally), grass fed meats, farm raised free range organic chicken. Food is, after all, what keeps us alive.
Me too. And no, I'm not brainwashed.

I also will spend more on a quality pair of shoes as they will last longer. I don't however buy more then 2 new pairs a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 11:24 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,112,116 times
Quote:
One case of e-coli poisoning from raw milk and it's all you hear about on the news for WEEKS. 250,000 people die from medical treatment, drug interraction and overdoses from prescribed medications and people just shrug their shoulders and look the other way.

Raw milk is not dangerous. Unfortunately, the people who were selling this milk did not take the necessary precautions to keep it from getting contaminated. Restaurants get busted 5000 times a day all over this country for exactly the same thing and you never hear about it in the newspaper.

God, I'll NEVER forget the food poisoning I got from Red Lobster one time. I was sick for two days straight.

Didn't read about that in the papers either, did you?

20yrsinBranson
---IF-- it was confirmed to be e-coli, I'll bet Red Lobster would have made the papers.

The farmer in Minnesota had 3 confirmed cases this week and a total of 11 over the past couple years.

But, " floppy hatted" people who call themselves " homesteaders" will cover their eyes, cover their ears, ( like a monkey) and deny it while they pay for that raw milk.

The same people who accuse farmers of being brainwashed by Monsanto are brainwashed themselves.

Just brainwashed by a different agenda.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:34 AM

15,631 posts, read 26,117,738 times
Fabric. Life's too short to quit with cheap fabric. And by that I mean bad quality. If I can find good quality inexpensively, I'm there.

And milk needs to be pasturized. The only time I saw raw milk being consumed my uncle was squirting it from the cow to the barn cats, all of whom were lined up for it.

As for homogenized...... I sort of liked the old fashioned cream on top milk....

Old 06-13-2010, 02:03 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,598,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post

I also will spend more on a quality pair of shoes as they will last longer. I don't however buy more then 2 new pairs a year.
Shoes is about the only thing I buy new, because it's too hard to get a fit in used. I only own one pair at a time, although I also have an old pair of tennies for emergency.

I buy work boots, they're better than hiking boots. I walk about a mile a day, my current pair of $40 Hermans from WalMart (via China) have about 500 miles on them, and soles not yet half worn, uppers still perfect, so I should get at least 3 years out of them, maybe 4. I never wear them in the house.

It makes no sense (to me) to pay for uppers that will outlast the soles, because it costs as much as a new pair to have them resoled.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:43 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,008,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

I find it incredible that so many are ready to put aside 150 years of science. However, I should not be surprised as I have seen hundreds of children hospitalized because their parents don't believe in vaccinations.
People were consuming raw milk for thousands, hundreds of thousands, perhaps even millions of years before science even existed.

I would wager that more people have died from "science" than from raw milk over the millennia.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-13-2010, 06:27 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,112,116 times
" see no evil, hear no evil"

Old 06-13-2010, 09:22 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,032,955 times
My bicycles and camping gear. I want good quality gear and rides. I do keep a sharp eye out for bargains, and have found many outstanding deals, but I'll pay full pop occasionally for just the right item.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:35 PM

16,358 posts, read 30,066,770 times
Quote:
People were consuming raw milk for thousands, hundreds of thousands, perhaps even millions of years before science even existed.

I would wager that more people have died from "science" than from raw milk over the millennia.

20yrsinBranson
Yes and people were dying of diseases like dysentary, diarrhea and the like throughout the 19th century until Louis Pasteur was able to link the diseases to foodborne bacteria.

Pasteurization is a well accepted practice for nearly 150 years. There is no need to go back to the Middle Ages.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:31 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,598,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Yes and people were dying of diseases like dysentary, diarrhea and the like throughout the 19th century until Louis Pasteur was able to link the diseases to foodborne bacteria.

Pasteurization is a well accepted practice for nearly 150 years. There is no need to go back to the Middle Ages.

But there has also been progress in diary farm regulations, and they must meet very stringent conditions. It is probably safer to drink fresh milk from a modern commercial dairy farm, than to drink pasteurized milk from a glass in the average restaurant.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-13-2010 at 10:52 PM..

Old 06-13-2010, 11:13 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,771,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
You can buy any old pair of jeans, and rip them up yourself! No need to effectively pay somebody else $270 to do it. And it's more fun!
Hey, I have lots of pairs that are 7-10 years old! You want to pay me for them? I just bought the same ones ( to replace the 7 year old ones) for $35/each ( 3 pair). They will last another 7+ years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living