Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:56 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What I meant was, why would anybody pay $30 (one tenth of $300) for a pair of jeans in ANY condition? You can get brand new ones, off the shelf, retail, for $10.
Not ones that fit me properly. Apparently the jeans industry largely refuses to recognize that pear-shaped women exist, and I've never found cheap jeans that properly deal with my waist-hip/thigh ratio. I'll gladly pay $60-$70 for pants that fit me properly.

The bright side from a financial standpoint is that I end up buying relatively few pairs of pants because of those fit difficulties. (and no, my frugality does not extend to sewing my own clothing)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 07:02 PM

55 posts, read 97,330 times
I've been a student for the last 11 years, so frugality has been the one thing I've learned really, really well. But it's worth it to me to spend more money on health-related stuff: I belong to a gym in my neighborhood instead of using the one on campus; most of my food budget is spent on fresh vegetables and organic dairy products. My frugality begins in my mind but it ends in my body.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:09 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,243,243 times
I eat well. I have a soft spot for sushi and oysters.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:32 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,588,276 times
I try not to skimp on food or diet in general. Ramen noodles, boxed macaroni and other processed crap might be cheaper than real food, but a strong healthy body they don't make.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:40 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,401,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
I do not skimp on vehicle maintence and I do purchase Coca-Cola, the real thing.
I'm with ya 100%!!!

Old 07-29-2010, 08:53 AM

40 posts, read 185,723 times
There's a middle ground that exists. I truly have to ask myself what I want and what's important to me. To me, being frugal, living simply, is about not wasting and getting what will truly make you happy instead of just getting everything all the time.

Spending a little bit of extra time (patience) to save some money is a balance I strive for. Or spending a little extra money on things I enjoy or to make my life easier. For example, I just bought a sofa. I could have bought a $600 sofa from IKEA that would have lasted five years and had it in a week. Or I could have spent $2,000 on a sofa and had it in a month.

Instead, I researched sofas, found the best sofa maker, narrowed down my options, found the best online dealer and price point and got a really well made, high quality sofa for $1,400. I could have got the sofa for $1,000, but I spent an extra $400 on a higher quality leather, because that was important to me. $400 for a piece of furniture I'm going to have more than 20 years is worth it to me.

Having lunch out every day and buying coffee, or owning a car instead of taking the bus and walking, or having cable or a cell phone, or paying for haircuts (I'm a guy), is not.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:06 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Not ones that fit me properly. Apparently the jeans industry largely refuses to recognize that pear-shaped women exist, and I've never found cheap jeans that properly deal with my waist-hip/thigh ratio. I'll gladly pay $60-$70 for pants that fit me properly.

The bright side from a financial standpoint is that I end up buying relatively few pairs of pants because of those fit difficulties. (and no, my frugality does not extend to sewing my own clothing)
They also seem to think that the longer your legs or arms the LARGER the waist/hips or chest needs to be - sigh

So I'm 5'9 and 130 lbs with a 36" inseam , long legs do NOT require a 42" waist

Old 07-30-2010, 05:30 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,165,026 times
I don't think there would be much reason to be frugal if you weren't doing it in order to have money for the things you really enjoy or want in your life. It's not like you can shred up your cash savings and take it with you when you die as coffin filler.

In my case, I will cut all kinds of corners in order to basically live where I want to and be able to enjoy a mini-vacation every now and then.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:31 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Toilet paper. Must have blue charmin.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:24 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alixjack View Post

What are the things that you won't skimp on?
Entertainment, and vacations. Sometimes they go hand 'n' hand, sometimes not.

We pretty much blob out from January to June and do "nothing". Those are the hardest months financially for us, and this area goes quite dormant in comparison to the summer months. We may go to the movies once in awhile, play pool, or check out a restaurant. That's about it.

But in July we are always doing something. Some of it is free entertainment, others aren't. And typically we take a trip every April and September. I always save cash for those trips and do a pretty good job of it, but at the expense of our everyday lives.

We have the most basic cable, I've never had a manicure, neither of us has ever joined a health club of any kind, and I haven't been to a hair-dresser since '72.

But while it's never been hard for me to do without those things, I would not be happy living as a miser, not ever doing anything at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living