Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 10:44 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,937,379 times

Advertisements

Does that include gas? I'm not sure how a buy nothng month is possible. Someone enlighten me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 05:33 PM

541 posts, read 1,339,966 times
elnina..i have no debts on my properties in europe..hier we rent..the monthly rent,utilities of course we pay on regulary basis...these are considered necesity, a must in the experiment..it is not about them..what is not a necessity for you?for example new clothes,new householdstuff,new furniture pieces,going out for dinner,new toolls and so on...

of course i bought things....year for year...it is only about one month experiment..not a whole year...yes,not to buy for one month...i will be tempted in this one month...for example i saw a beautiful dress the other day...was 90 dollar...on sale for 12....it is hard to walk away,especially when it fits perfect,right?...do i need one more dress?????...no..no..no....i walked away..thinking at it..so,yes, i am tempted,i tell this honestly...or household stuff..or many other stuffs..i can afford it,i love it,but i do not really need it...

no,not buy one time in a month,buy any time you want in that month,but only,what you need...

but it looks like,in this section the most people are finacially responsable...they know,when to buy and what...if all america would be like you ...why are you different then the big majority?is it education at home?or why are you saver and not shopping addicted?why were you not tempted?How come you handle finances soo good?it would really intrest me...is other state mentality?hier in california people spend shocking much...especially women...

how much do you spend on cooking every month?and what do you cook?maybe you can share some recipes...

Last edited by Buburuza13; 08-08-2010 at 05:43 PM..

Old 08-08-2010, 05:48 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
My computer crashed a year ago, and I had to buy a new one. Since then, I am in my 11th consecutive buy-nothing month. No, wait, a couple months ago my folding canvas-sling deck chair sun-rotted out and I had to take the bus to Walmart to replace it, $12 I think.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:01 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,211,711 times
I could (and have) easily go a month without going out to eat, shopping, etc. I go several months without stepping foot in a department store or mall.

If we totally cut down to bare necessities, I guess we would have to cancel cable and internet for a month. It would be an interesting experiment.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I've lived like that all my life.
fairly similar
The only non-necessity I used to buy was a weekly splurge to Wendy's for a $.99 Burger. That was when I had income, now no job = no splurge, (Tho I confess that I will buy 1/2 gal of ice cream / month if it is 1/2 price or less. ($2.00 max per month on Ice Cream))

I am back to my weight from Secondary School (45 yrs previous), I had only strayed 15 # due to lots of international '1st class' travel. Now I eat twice / day, spend less than $100 / month on food and entertainment (combined), and drive a $35 car (paid for ) that gets 50 mpg on free fryer grease.

I do have a small loan on home (~ 15% LTV) but it is at a 2.7% interest rate so I am not interested in paying it off right now.

Btw: It takes 5 wks to break a habit, so EXTEND your month 1 week for best benefit if you desire to change lifestyle.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:36 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,650,295 times
We bought nothing all last month out of necessity. (Well, there were two enormous car repair expenses, one huge vet bill so there was nothing left over so it was out of necessity.)

Normally we are frugal anyway but I might have bought a plant for the garden or an ice cream cone on a hot day. I paid the bills last month, bought some gas but that's all.

We made our own ice cream and we always cook at home anyway. I think eating out is too expensive to be justified unless it's on a day when I'm really too tired to cook.

We always make good use of the library for books and magazines. Anyway, by the end of the month, we did feel deprived -- we ran out of paper towels and toothpaste. (Used baking soda instead of toothpaste and real towels instead of paper towels -- but they needed to be washing all the time so is it really cheaper?)

I tried to cancel cable tv -- it is criminally expensive even for the lower bracket of channels but they told me I had signed an agreement for one year and couldn't cancel.

You do run out of free things to do -- we are starved for something exciting to do and have decided to go to an amusement park and cut loose and have fun to make up for the month of deprivation. We finally took the dog to have his toenails clipped (but I groom him myself now for free.)

The end of the summer is a good time to shop for summer clothing so I may even pop into a store and get a few things to put away for next summer but I think that's frugal, not wasteful. I'm going to get my hair cut instead of doing it myself but I learned how to cut my husband's hair and it looks better than when he pays for it--I'll keep cutting his.

(My mother grew up during the Depression in the 1920s and told us all about it. People of my generation can have a hard time letting go of money--I still save and re-use aluminum foil.)

(I'd be interested in hearing some European ways of spending or saving. I do think you should spend on quality items.)

Old 08-08-2010, 09:46 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Re-using aluminum foil and other things are just good for the environment, anyway.

We have plenty of money, but I hate waste of any kind.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:39 AM

171 posts, read 444,256 times
I like the idea. I think maybe a Buy Nothing Week might be an easier place to start for people. I've just moved, and do need to pick up a few things eventually--my broom is lost and I need an outdoor trash bin--but could make do without either for a bit. Have a vacuum, could place bag directly on curb. (Allowed where I live.)

I've had the idea in mind myself, and have been making an effort to ask myself "Ok if I really do need this, do I have something else I could use instead?" For example, I needed a new cat litter pan, BUT realized I already own several shallow plastic storage bins and could repurpose one. The cat's don't care and I saved $10-20 on a place to collect poop. LOL!

It's working pretty well so far. So count me in. :-)

Old 08-09-2010, 07:41 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buburuza13 View Post
I am European,came 2 years ago to California,am financial very responsible person,can good handle money and like to save money,have zero debts (no car payments,no house payments..zero).I have a good material situation,because i can handle money so good and my parents and grandparents did the same.My family are 3 persons,husband and junior.But saving alone (group is better) does not make fun.I would like to have a "Buy nothing month",starting 9 august to 9 September,save as much as you can.Does anybody want to take the challenge with me?Saving in group makes more fun,we can talk about our experiment,temptation,successes,ideas.The rule is:buy nothing except strict necessary. On long term is no good for economy not to buy anything,but from time to time,such an experiment teaches self discipline and a new approach to money.Who wants to join?

Please no bad comments..if you want to join,good,if not,move on,read the next post..very simple...

and if nobody wants to join,oh well,i do it alone...smile!
I would join however, we are having a "purchase nothing in 2010" day, so far it has worked out well. Only necessities and anything that breaks that is a necessity ie: water heater for the house, alternator for the vehicle, etc.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:29 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,491,299 times
Default moratorium

My wife and I have a "moratorium" Monday through Friday where we agree not to buy anything. This makes our accounting much easier and as well as providing much needed thinking time for the things we really need.

Maybe we will try a month now..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living