Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 12:28 PM

61,416 posts, read 86,419,982 times

Advertisements

I do pay all necessary bills like utility/insurance/gas/internet/phone/mortgage & buy food to prepare meals at home, but no extravaganza. I will go occasionally to Goodwill and bring me a book to read. Except that I can go for months without spending a penny for anything I really don't need. I am not compulsive buyer. When I see something I would like to have, I will walk out and think about, I would tell myself that if I still think about by the end of the week, I might consider to take a second look at it. Most of the time, I don't "remember" to think about the very next day...
I am from an old school, and I value my work and the money they pay me. I would not crumple money and just put it in a pocket, or in my purse. I would not leave change everywhere or decide not to pick up when it feel on the floor.
I check receipts, and follow up supermarket scanning. I check my bills.
Although I come from a family that didn't experienced money problems, I learned from my parents to watch the spendings.
I remember when I came from a communistic Poland to live in West Germany I was shocked and annoyed by the vast of choices. I went to supermarket to buy a laundry detergent and saw dozens of different ones. It made me think: why so many? One of each price range would be enough. Same with many other items. And then the brainwashing advertising: mine product is better that the competition! Most of the times is not, but many people believe whatever media tell them - something like: I saw it in a magazine, or in TV - a new great product - I HAVE to try it, I NEED to have it!
Advertising manipulate minds, and many customers like sheep's just follow with the newest trends and buy stuff they do not need but is fashionable to own.

Last edited by elnina; 08-09-2010 at 11:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 01:03 PM

106,171 posts, read 108,140,134 times
I finally found a way to get our bills down. my wife's credit card was stolen but since the bills are less im not even reporting it... lol

Old 08-09-2010, 02:18 PM

541 posts, read 1,336,900 times
funny with the credit card...maybe this is the solution for all husbands with wives,who likes to spend...i have no credit card,because i am european and i am used to cash and raised not to make debts..it was offered to me so many times hier in stores,i refuse...

i have an american husband who loves to spend money...but he has no credit cards..not with me...

today the first day..and the first temptations..neighbohr friend comes over in the morning..she saw a purse divider...we could get 2..if we call immediatelly and divide the costs...no..i tell her about my experiment..nothing this month...what about the movie, we intended to go together on 13 august eat love and pray...i have been waiting so long for it,i love elisabeth gilbert's books..i forgot about it..ok,i invite you,she says...so,i am saved...smile...i organize my papers later...breck's free gift coupon 25 dollar..bulbs from holland..gardening,flowers,my passion..and who could resiste europeans holland bulbs????i have to...no...oprah magazine...12 issues for 15 $..they cost normally 4,50..i like reading..i am a book woorm..magazines,books,newspapers,everything possible...my other passion...reading and writting..sorry no...i do not need that,i can read online or go to library..

i need bread,but i make my own bread today..i love to bake my own bread...european style...with or withouht this experiment i bake my own bread..
since i arrived to usa,the freezer saves me...food is a problem for me hier in usa,especially hier in south california...at home we have our own vegetable gardens (enough to feed more famillies),own orchards over 90 fruit trees:apples,pears,nuts,plums,cheeries,sourcherrie s,nuts,figs and so on...i am used to a certain taste,i can not find hier in the fruits and vegetables most imported from mexico or brougth form somewhere in usa...i am used to fresh on the table from our gardens...i like the smell,the taste of everyhting in my garden and i know,how healthy and good it is...one time a year tradition cut the pig,one or more...was fed with food from our fields..we make smoked ham,sausages,prepare the meat in different way,put it in the freezer..that meat taste delicious..one time a year cut lam (easter) and calf...make sausages,preparations...all old traditions and tastes...you know what you eat..
we have also our chickens,ducks,geese...fresh eggs..

on food we did not spend much in europe...we have everything there:fruits (great marmelades and compots every year..our pantries are a piece of paradise..americans friends come and do not want to leave...my husband remained,he married...),vegetables,grapes for wine (every year we make our own wine),own meat,own animals,own butcher traditions...

hier in south california...missing the good tastes..i know,what good taste means..what do you not know,you can not miss...but i know the taste...so i try to find similar hier...i buy organic..it is not so expensive ,if you watch the sales...when meat is on sale,i buy more,put on my freezer...teh same with other organic products...i find my places,where i buy them...for example at home we make our own sauce for pasta...hier i buy it organic..2.50 a bottle...in albertson i found it..a good taste...i search all the stores and build my provisions,when they are on sale..i hort a lot of food..i love that..our pantries were always packed in europe...with naturally home made products...i save a lot watching the organic products in different stores hier and the sales..buying more at the right time..
i also save a lot bake and cook myself...

i do not use a dryer,i have one,almost do not touch it..i bought cloth dryer european style..i like my cloth dry in the wind..hier we have a great breeze..

clothes i generally buy on sale...i have too many ,but for school start for example,you can find on sale great quality..you only need to invest soem time in it..

i love flea markets,second hand..i lived in a big german town and we had many fleamarkets..but we have properties outside too.. more village like..
i love to restore...i love things old,dirty..love to clean,fix and restore them..
i am very artistic,so i can use my creativity and talent to restore and create new things..

buying second hand for house,for garden help me save a lot of money...do i need to?i can afford to buy all new,but i love to restore,make from something old and dirty,something new looking and beautiful..i paint,i decorate myself..i got properties from my grandparents in a young age,so i had to deal with that..i can work with wood,paint,cut rigips,garden..everything around the house..i am like a man,no better (laugh,i do not look like one..in the opposite,am very feminine looking..but i was taught to handle everythign around the house)...do it yourself was the phylosophy plus excellent workethic...if you make things yourself,you can save a lot of money..could i pay a painter?...yes i could,but i love works around the house...small projects i do myself..big projects,of course with help...

the list of savings is long..have to hurry,but i come back..

somebody wrote about icecream...i can not make good icecream...i would need some help...how you make it?

Old 08-09-2010, 07:57 PM

26,649 posts, read 28,537,679 times
somebody wrote about icecream...i can not make good icecream...i would need some help...how you make it?

(I have a lot in common with you! Use it up, make do. Fix it. Buy second hand and restore it. You sound very talented.)Just do a search on ice cream making because there are lots of methods. Mostly it's sugar, cream, vanilla, and your choice of flavors. You can use a blender and then freeze it and stir it every so often so that ice crystals don't form but the best way to is get (second hand, of course) an ice cream maker.
I have an electric one and a little hand crank one to make one serving. You keep the inner part in the freezer all the time and only get it out when you are making ice cream. You pour your blended mixture into the frozen bowl and then place the bowl inside the larger container. Then you churn it, either with a handle or by electricity.

Some of my favorite flavors are peach, coconut, or just plain vanilla. Try it! It's fun and easy and as long as you have the ingredients on hand, you can do it anytime -- even in the middle of the night if you want to!!

Old 08-09-2010, 11:09 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,786,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buburuza13 View Post
laura this is great..it looks like, you are a very finacial responsable person..there are not too many americans,who could say,their house and car is paid..you are in minority

maybe you have some advices for us,specially women hier?how to resist all these temptations,not to buy?...especially things on sale..

my rule is :I LOVE IT AND I NEED IT...only if this 2 conditions are fulfilled,i buy it...if only one is fulfilled,i refuse to buy and resiste the temptation...
not my husband,who is an american,who likes to buy and shopping wiht him is a struggle sometimes...
People generally spend as their parents taught them.

Being children of parents raised in the Great Depression, my husband and I tend to be frugal; it makes us an oddity among friends ( I often keep clothing until it wears out and people find that odd; especially when I use the good material for quilts, rather than buying new cloth) My husband and I bought a small house on about 4 acres of land 40 years ago. We had our family here, raised them here, paid off the house and still live here. The house is worth about 5 times what we paid for it and the half of the land we could easily sell is worth even more. A definite bargain.... we raised our girls to save money; one has her house paid off in 10 years.... everyone in the family has cash in the bank and all of us buy on a credit card just what we need and pay it off every month... my husband and I share a car; both girls are grown and each has a car. We grow a large garden and I dry or freeze foods; also hunt and freeze meat. (I quit canning, it is too much time!)

Many people you will find in this country simply have an attitude of "its new, I have to have it" or "everyone has that, I need to as well". I feel sorry for them. You have a certain amount of money, you should put away as much as you can and then be reasonable in what else you spend. I am glad we did it; we have many friends who regret they did not.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:59 PM

61,416 posts, read 86,419,982 times
Basically I agree with Buburuza life style and savings ideas, except I do not agree with not having a credit card. Credit card is an important concept in the US. It helps to build credit history.
Credit history is an essential tool. Having a good credit means to have an access to many savings. When someone wants to buy a house or car, the first thing the lender is checking is the credit history. Good credit gets the best loan terms. You can buy car and pay cash, but who can buy a house and pay cash for it?
Building good credit is a must: It will help you qualify for loans, auto insurance, rental applications, cell phone plans, and can even affect whether you get a job.
It is hard to rent a car or buy a plane ticket without credit card.
I am not talking about temptation to spend more, but credit card can help you to save more. Deals online are great but how do you want to pay for it?
Having a credit card means that you have to be disciplined and use it properly. Don’t treat this new purchasing tool as free money, but only as a means to establish good credit.
Pay your bills with it, and then pay your card off every month. Is same spending, but with a good payment history on this card your credit history can build upon it.
Establishing a good credit history takes time. There are no shortcuts or tricks that can take you from no credit at all to a high score in a matter of months or even a few years.
I remember when I came to this country and wanted to buy my first car. The car dealer went to check my credit and came back with a puzzled face. He found out that I don't have credit history. Of course, I told him, I just moved here less than a year ago. He said that he understand but cannot get me any good deal on the purchase, because I don't have credit history. I ended with paying a high interest rate, but I also learned my lesson. If credit card is going to make me a better person in eyes of the lenders, then I will try to establish the best credit history possible. Today my FICA score is 805 and I can negotiate any deal and get the best terms. I am saving money!

Old 08-10-2010, 01:54 AM

3,852 posts, read 12,845,530 times
Once you figure out how much crap you didn't need in the first place you soon realize that you don't need to make lots of money to be happy with life. Hell, I only work 20/hrs a week these days. Why? I simply hate working 40/hrs week. It just drains the life out of me. Making the extra money is NOT worth it! Just cut as much non essentials as possible.

Cancel cable TV - watch everything online
stop buying processed food buy rice, beans, and corn in bulk. (grow it yourself if possible)
Get rid of your car. Ride a bike instead.
sell your home, rent a 1 bedroom in someone else's house. (unless you live in a very low cost of living area, in that case, buy your own home with cash)
Buy everything second hand. No need to buy new clothes, when there is goodwill store!
Make everything in your house low water/energy use.
Don't water your backyard.

If you do the above, you'll probably save yourself thousands upon thousands of dollars. I know I have. Thats why I have the ability to pay cash for everything. Zero debt, zero credit cards, zero student loans!!!! and I'll never, ever take out any loans. Of course its at that exact point that you realize that you now have money to do things that make you happy.

Don't fall into the materialism attitude - the idea that you need to buy xyz item to impress others!

Old 08-10-2010, 05:57 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,177,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Sure, maybe.

I would play along if we did "Buy Nothing from a Corporation."
Why just corporations? The millions of people who work for them in this country don't deserve money, but mom and pop stores do?

Old 08-10-2010, 08:49 AM

541 posts, read 1,336,900 times
killer 2011..i could not do that...live in one room...i have a familly,i need my space..being frugal and financially responsable ist ok,but this would be too much for me..do not water my backyard??oh no...i love gardening,flowers...my gardens in europe are like corners of paradise..in north california i had huge yard and garden,hier i have a big pool with little green,but i still have many pots with flowers,tomatoes,herbs and so on...no,i can not be withouht them...not whithouht plants,flowers...my place even inside is filled with all type of flowers,little palms..my friends love it,they come and do not want to live...

killer,but i like your attitude towards debts..it is exactly mine..i will never ever take a loan...even if i had not had,what i have,i would have thought like you..

yes,elnina it is true,i have no credit history..but i can live withouht it...if you have no credit history,you have to pay guarantee money in advance,like at cell companies,gas companies and so on...at my cell,was 400 dollar...i do not need a good credit score,because i will never get a loan..i am in the lucky position never to need one..

i love public transport and i am a big fan of bike riding..i do not really like cars..i came to usa and i had to have a car,hier in california you can not be withouht it to survive daily needs..so i could have bought a new car cash,but i decided to buy a second hand car..drives great and i am very happy with it..an exampe..i have properties seven digits in europe,zero debts and i drive a 3000- 4000 dollar car..my american neighborh drives a 50000 dollar car (in california you buy things,you do not need to impress people ,who you do not know),is in debts till his neck ..

a house in usa..yes,an own house is importante for me,because i can make it at home,i am only 2 years hier in usa..we rent right now,but buying a house is on the list sooner or later..i loved northcalifornia,i do not like south california so much,so we might move back,when middle school ends...but a house is on the list and we will buy it.I am in the lucky position to be able to pay cash for it,nothing extravagant,a good size 4,5 bedrooms with a nice,big garden.

my husband is californian,he lived many years abroad,but he always wanted to come back to usa,he hates the winters,stores closing at 6 pm and a lot more...i am european and will always be,europe is first for me,i am four season person,i like european way of life,culture,everything,what is in europe..in order for both parties to be happy,we will live on both continents...i am because of love hier and i know,my husband is happy at home,in his country (everybody speak english hier),hier is home for him...i did not fall in love with california,i like europe much better and will always be number one for me..i did not sell anything in europe,nothing,not even a furniture piece,i have everything in europe,the way i left it..junior will be able to choose,what he likes more europe or usa or he can have both..he will have possibilities on both continents..

buffalo..i do nto really udnerstand that..they have to have it..although they can not afford it..i can afford a lot of stuff,but still i do not threw with money around,i try to buy,what is necessarry..i donot understand,how somebody can make a 50000 dollar loan,when he has familly and kids and his old car was driving fine...totally finacial irresponsable..i do not get that..and so many people,the big majority hier in california..

older couple with high earnings..150000 - 200000he 100000 - 150000 she...they could have paid their 400000 house long,long time ago...no they spent more then they earned,live on big food..bought second house,although first not paid off...recession came she lost job,he cut hours..both broken...i do not understand that..high educated people

Last edited by Buburuza13; 08-10-2010 at 09:03 AM..

Old 08-10-2010, 11:01 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,178,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Once you figure out how much crap you didn't need in the first place you soon realize that you don't need to make lots of money to be happy with life. Hell, I only work 20/hrs a week these days. Why? I simply hate working 40/hrs week. It just drains the life out of me. Making the extra money is NOT worth it! Just cut as much non essentials as possible.

Cancel cable TV - watch everything online
stop buying processed food buy rice, beans, and corn in bulk. (grow it yourself if possible)
Get rid of your car. Ride a bike instead.
sell your home, rent a 1 bedroom in someone else's house. (unless you live in a very low cost of living area, in that case, buy your own home with cash)
Buy everything second hand. No need to buy new clothes, when there is goodwill store!
Make everything in your house low water/energy use.
Don't water your backyard.

If you do the above, you'll probably save yourself thousands upon thousands of dollars. I know I have. Thats why I have the ability to pay cash for everything. Zero debt, zero credit cards, zero student loans!!!! and I'll never, ever take out any loans. Of course its at that exact point that you realize that you now have money to do things that make you happy.

Don't fall into the materialism attitude - the idea that you need to buy xyz item to impress others!
I agree with pretty much everything you said except the car thing and renting a room. I have a great respect for those who can live without a car, but for some people that is simply not an option. I live in a rural area with no sidewalks and walking on the side of the road would be too dangerous. Everything is way too far to walk. Some may say, move to a city or a place with better accessibility. Well I'd be willing to spend money on car insurance and a modest home in a suburban or rural area since I prefer that sort of environment. Renting a room in someone else's house? No thanks, I value my privacy and think a home is a good investment (not necessarily for economic purpose, but for quality of life, happiness, etc.). Renting a room or small apartment is certainly a reasonable thing to do when you're young, but I wouldn't want to be living in someone else's attic at the age of 50.

I do agree with your points on food, clothes, energy use, and materialism though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living