Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 11:27 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,957,681 times

Advertisements

ilovemycomputer90 wrote:
Renting a room or small apartment is certainly a reasonable thing to do when you're young, but I wouldn't want to be living in someone else's attic at the age of 50.
50 IS young, especially when you are older than that by more than a decade!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 10:25 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,784,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buburuza13 View Post

buffalo..i do nto really udnerstand that..they have to have it..although they can not afford it..i can afford a lot of stuff,but still i do not threw with money around,i try to buy,what is necessarry..i donot understand,how somebody can make a 50000 dollar loan,when he has familly and kids and his old car was driving fine...totally finacial irresponsable..i do not get that..and so many people,the big majority hier in california..
I think you misunderstood me.

We bought our home over 40 years ago and paid it off as soon as we could. All we pay are taxes, the insurance and the gas/electric/phone, etc. [It makes living very cheap, and the house is now worth over 5 times what we paid for it when we bought it. If we were to sell it, and move, the profit would be very large. We do not plan to sell it, because living here is so inexpensive] One of our daughters bought her home about 10 years ago and she has already paid it off. Homes here are much less expensive than California.

We have no loans of any kind. Our car is also paid for. I use my credit cards for one thing: so I do not have to carry money. I carry only a small amount of cash. If I charge almost everything I buy, when the bill comes in, I pay the entire thing. This way, I can se exactly what I spent and where I spent it. It is almost like an accounting system; this is for convenience, nothing more.

We grow a large garden and I shop at the farm stands near us ( we live almost in what city people call 'the country' with a hayfield at our back property line, so there are many farm stands). I can freeze and dry much of the fruit and vegetables for winter; I would never have it any other way. We have lots of advantages in getting eggs ( the big area supplier to the stores) is about 5 miles from us and you can go to their chicken farm and buy eggs). Lots of people here hunt (mostly deer and turkey) and our friend is a butcher and he butchers deer/venison for us.

This is the way our parents raised us: only buy what you can pay for and save the rest. Our parents were brought up in the 1930s and it was very bad economically in this country and they worked hard and still saved money and passed those values to us.

Many people were not raised that way; that is why so many people do spend too much money, get into debt, buy houses which cost too much, etc. many people think they have to have the newest of everything to show their success in the world.... so they always spend and are "cash poor".

I would rather be wearing my old jeans than fancy clothes and have money in the bank.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,647 posts, read 57,711,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Cancel cable TV - watch everything online...
Oh for the want of something faster than dial-up ....

PLEASE WIRE AMERICA (preferably for free, such as the developing nations are doing to aid commerce and productivity) so us rural dwellers can balance our checkbooks on line!!! Movies, YouTube... We have to drive to town and hope the library is open, and we can get a connection before our 1 hr daily cap expires... Skype, no dice

I swear, it is a left wing conspiracy to get everyone to move to town

Buy nothing month with NO internet! (or fees per byte)

Old 08-11-2010, 01:14 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,939,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
PLEASE WIRE AMERICA (preferably for free, such as the developing nations are doing to aid commerce and productivity) so us rural dwellers can balance our checkbooks on line!!! Movies, YouTube... We have to drive to town and hope the library is open, and we can get a connection before our 1 hr daily cap expires... Skype, no dice
why would anyone spend money to connect the few outliers who choose to live way out in the boonies, when there are plenty of people willing to stay in town and pay for internet?

Old 08-11-2010, 05:56 AM

12,999 posts, read 18,838,989 times
Sounds like you should all read "My year without shopping." by Judith Levine. Pretty interesting, no shopping or eating out. Also she went by bus to Washington instead of taking the Acela and other penny pinching measures. But it cleared out credit card debt.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:13 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,340,927 times
I lived with a "buy nothing that is not absolutly necessary" for years.. .. had to, as I was a self supporting adult who made very little money. Although I am also in the category of "financially responsible" - house paid for, vehicles paid for, I have , over the past several years, spent a lot of money on things that are not really necessary. . .adding several rooms to my home, owning and maintiaining a small truck as well as a passenger car, and indulging my love of books, music, fine arts. Now, approaching retirement, I will again be living on an amount of money that prohibits a lot of that kind of discressionary spending, and am looking forward to a simpler way of life, and the opportunity to actually read those books, play those musical instruments, etc.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:34 AM

541 posts, read 1,336,680 times
buffallo..i understood you completely...i meant "i do not understand that" regarding to the people,who have to have it (not regarding you) and to the people who spend so much on stuff they can not afford...

you are one hundred percent right,i am 100 percent with you..same thinking..

Old 08-11-2010, 09:48 AM

541 posts, read 1,336,680 times
pvande thanks for the book advice..i will sure read it..i love books...that is one of the reason,i would not do the experiment for one year..too long for me..i like to buy second hand,new books,like to go with junior cinema,concerts,musicals,events,short trips..like fleamarkets,not buy one year at fleamarkets ????neeee....not buy one year plants,flowers and so on??neeeeee..could i save on that long term,one year?yes,i could,but i do not want to and i do not need to..if i were in the situation,i would deal with that and i could manage it for sure..but right now certain things are important for me,like acces to cultural things,certain best quality medical care and so on...is going to cinema,musicals,cultural things a necesitty?no,it is not....but i am not ready to give it up a year..although they cost a lot...a 3d movie is hier in california 18 dollar a person ( i am very selective with movies)...not to talk about musicals,theater,concerts (clasic only) and so on...i see the pedagogic value in this for my junior (13) and i am not ready to give this up,if i can afford it...
certain things i am fine with (if i see the value,the win in them,especially for my junior,he and his education is my first priority in life),certain i am not..

for example hier in southcalifornia parties,bbq..a weekly event..i have to say ,i loved parties and i had a lot of party in my life,more then enough,being an excellent dancer in addition..but i settled down,child ,husband,party is not a priority in my life now...only birthday,christmas,new year and so on..but familly most..and what i like parties for children...hier parties are a weekly issue..every weekend,old young people make party..especially in sommer..

and i do not agree with that...i tried to find out,why do they do that???30.40 people a couple has invited for weekend...they bought most of the food,so it is related with 200,300 plus drinks 400 dollar cost..you would say,ok rich people,they can afford it..APPEARANTLY,it looks like that,this is the presented exterior...but reality:.NO,house not paid,car not paid!!!debts till neck,but every weekend 30,40 people in house...how sick is this??how brainless?
so we have a beautiful,huge pool,the perfect conditions for such californian parties..so they asked me,when i will organize the first party,so they come over...
i am european (the only one around) and i am very direct,talk my mind (to the desperation of my husby sometimes)..so i told them...i do not think so...i do not like the stress related with having a party for 30,40 people..am i crazy to clean the kitchen after them and this weekly??? (or hire a maid extra for the event),to make all the stress through for the preparations...to let everybody in my pool??i hated public bathplaces in germany,i will not invite everybody in my pool hier...
pool is for my junior and his friends,children....i also do not mind to make party for children,in northcalifornia we had in sommer 14,15 children invited over..this summer were not too many hier in south,he is getting older,but has some good friends..but i like to cook for them and take care of them..but only children..i do not like alkohool,smoke,half drunk adults in my house...i do not need that and such californian parties in my house! i told them to their face..sorry it is me..i talk my mind...people should accept me the way i am..or leave it..i have enough friends..like me..same chemistry,same mentality...

i really do not understand,why the big majority hier (30 - 55years old) organize parties they can not afford...it is hier in california,such a show off thinking..and a lot of fake,sugar coat hollywood style..
pretend to be,who they are not..pretend to be rich and threw parties,go to tennis clubs,buy expensive cars, clothes,do this and that,just for the exterior..although their mortgage is not paid,their car is not paid...i really do not understand these people..the big majority san diego and around.....some asia people are exception,they have a similar thinking regarding money..
the state is broke,foreclosures,job loss ,finacial poverty everywhere and they continue...they continue such habits and behaviours,even in such times....i do not get them,i really do not get them...all the classes..the ircher they are,the more they spend,live over their means - national sport hier in california

Last edited by Buburuza13; 08-11-2010 at 10:03 AM..

Old 08-11-2010, 12:16 PM

17 posts, read 21,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buburuza13 View Post
I am european,came 2 years ago to California,am finacial very responsable person,can good handle money and like to save money,have zero debts (no car payments,no house payments..zero).I have a good material situation,because i can handle money so good and my parents and grandparents did the same.My family are 3 persons,husband and junior.But saving alone (group is better) does not make fun.I would like to have a "Buy nothing month",starting 9 august to 9 september,save as much as you can.Does anybody want to take the challenge with me?Saving in group makes more fun,we can talk about our experiment,temptation,successes,ideas.The rule is:buy nothing except strict necessary. On long term is no good for economy not to buy anything,but from time to time,such an experiment teaches selfdiscipline and a new approach to money.Who wants to join?

Please no bad comments..if you want to join,good,if not,move on,read teh next post..very simple...

and if nobody wants to join,oh well,i do it alone...smile!
I'm with you. No house payment (on 2 homes) and no car payment. But if I see a pair of jeans I like, I'm buyin' them. I don't spend much nowsadays. I'm savin up for a foreign wife.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:19 PM

17 posts, read 21,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Oh for the want of something faster than dial-up ....

I swear, it is a left wing conspiracy to get everyone to move to town

Buy nothing month with NO internet! (or fees per byte)
You have dial up? Maybe your name should be stealthtourtise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living