U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 02:37 PM

464 posts, read 708,520 times

Advertisements

I always track my car's MPG with each tankful. Helps me drive more efficiently and safely. This practice has expanded to tracking my vehicle's overall cost to me, including gas, maintenance, and insurance.

Is anyone else tracking their mileage also? My wife says doing so is a "guy thing".....personally, I think it's a frugal thing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 02:42 PM

9,230 posts, read 18,582,719 times
I use to, but after a while i look at the little book in the car, and it had been two years since i had done the math. thats when i stopped doing it.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:57 PM

2,081 posts, read 3,334,322 times
Depends. I just bought a new (well, used) truck. So far I've tracked every tank on it. Helped me identify a few problems I fixed. I'll stop soon, as I now have a good sense of what to expect from it.

I also have a 1976 Monte Carlo that I bought 25 years ago. Only track mileage on it about once a year, unless something seems out of whack. After years of driving it I KNOW that it gets 15-15.5 mpg.

With that said, I just put a K & N air filter on the Monte. They claim to pay for themselves because they are permanent, and increase both power and economy. So I'm tracking it now. The same filter increased economy by over 2% in the aforementioned truck. I haven't run a full tank in the Monte, but definitely increased power.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:00 PM

53 posts, read 47,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountrywinefan View Post
I always track my car's MPG with each tankful. Helps me drive more efficiently and safely. This practice has expanded to tracking my vehicle's overall cost to me, including gas, maintenance, and insurance.

Is anyone else tracking their mileage also? My wife says doing so is a "guy thing".....personally, I think it's a frugal thing.
Yes, I track mine. Mine gets 37 hwy and 27 city and it's 10 years old. Tracking your gas mileage will tell you way ahead of time if something is wrong (generally speaking). When my gas mileage falls I know to start sniffing around.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:57 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 1,957,869 times
I do mine...guess it's not just a guy thing

Old 08-24-2010, 09:09 PM

15,179 posts, read 26,032,481 times
Quote:

I used to track the mileage on every tank of gas for years. In general, when the gas mileage started to drop, it was generally one of the first signs that there was a problem with the vehicle.

In 2007, I bought my first new car and I have been tracking the mileage and the expenses. I guess that I want to make sure that I am getting my money's worth.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:40 PM

3,411 posts, read 8,564,342 times
My car has an average mpg calculator built into an accessory gauge on the instrument panel. It's easy to re-set at a fill up, and like others have it's a good indicator of the overall car performance. I know that on a long road trip, the car should average 30-31 mpg @ 70 mph. One time I drove to Tucson, and the mpg calculator showed that I averaged less than 27 mph. I got out my tire pressure gauge and found low pressure on one tire. I found a nail in one tire, just enough of a nail to drop tire pressure that dropped the mpg.

I don't bother tracking expenses on my car, because it's almost nothing. I drive less than 10K miles per year. That means I change oil and filter just twice a year (myself) and a few other routine fixes (myself) each year.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:46 PM

45,207 posts, read 64,679,110 times
I know the size of my gas tank (17 gal), so when is near empty, after I put in gas, I reset the mileage counter to zero. I usually get 370 miles in the city and 450 on hwy with A/C on and little more when the A/C is turned off. 2 x a year I will add fuel additive recommended by my Honda dealer. I have good quality spark plugs ( Bosch ), change my air filter regularly and check tire pressure at least once a month. I use synthetic oil.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:51 PM

15,849 posts, read 32,129,263 times
Quote:

I don't have to, my car does it for me. There is a display on the instrument panel that gives me the mileage. But if it didn't, I'd probably track it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-25-2010, 12:02 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,810,925 times
There is a website for people to record it. I think there are other similar sites, but you can see similar vehicles or other vehicles and their ranges.

Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living