Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 12:46 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,434,004 times

Advertisements

We've had more overcharges on items at Safeway than anywhere else. In fact the last time it happened the guy behind us looked at his receipt as we were waiting for a refund and saw he had also been overcharged...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 02:06 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
I shop at my local HEB about 2-3 times a week, for the past three years. That's maybe 400 trips. (600 miles on foot.) I have not been overscanned once. I don't always check carefully, but I add up my basket in my head, and know what approximate total to expect.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:53 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,688,265 times
This forum is about saving money and it is more difficult to save a dollar when a retailer has priced their items inaccurately. Some of us may remember the prices when purchasing a few items but as the amount of items increase it becomes impossible to remember them all.

Today I used my cell phone and clicked on every item I bought. When I got home I removed the flash memory card from my phone and inserted into a flash card reader. I was able to see each pic of every shelf label I bought and compare it with my receipt. When I finished I deleted all the pics as there were no discrepancies. I will keep this inexpensive flash card for this reason only. It is a 512MB and will hold about 500 pics. I found this method fast, easy, and accurate.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:06 PM

464 posts, read 803,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
This forum is about saving money and it is more difficult to save a dollar when a retailer has priced their items inaccurately. Some of us may remember the prices when purchasing a few items but as the amount of items increase it becomes impossible to remember them all.

Today I used my cell phone and clicked on every item I bought. When I got home I removed the flash memory card from my phone and inserted into a flash card reader. I was able to see each pic of every shelf label I bought and compare it with my receipt. When I finished I deleted all the pics as there were no discrepancies. I will keep this inexpensive flash card for this reason only. It is a 512MB and will hold about 500 pics. I found this method fast, easy, and accurate.
I like this idea. I think I'll try it next week.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Really my wife can read the label and then the price and remmeebr the cost of a whole basket loand of groceries. I really see more peopel wrong because they didn't read the entire label on what the pirce was for the item correctly.I hate rpoice chacks with some peole holdig up the lines so long.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:10 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,062,717 times
We go to that place to buy toilet paper, paper towels, paper plates and RC cola, nothing else.
I price shop by phone because I have to drive for over an hour to do any real shopping and most items I can buy for less right in our tiny little town that I can ride my bike to.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:01 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,923,139 times
I was in the grocery trade for 23 yrs so am knowledged with their procedures.

Lately at Walmart noticed the shelf price tags missing on some items where the shelf was stocked full...same with the reach in cooler. Bought a couple of things and when looking at my receipt saw that ...WHOOOPS... they had increased the price dramatcally since my last purchase. I understand that prices can fluctiate some but they pull the shelf tags when the price has gone up while displaying large tags/signs of an item being reduced.

I used to buy (am by myself) some items that were reasonably priced in my opinion and would buy several canned goods etc so as to stock up my shelves at home. Noticed that a good price would find the shelf item almost gone...needing to be restocked. This gives me and idea of what the people are buying and their train of thought. Also saw where when the price of a fast moving item was being sold and the price increased the shelf item stayd full with noone buying the product. A 20-25 cents increase in price makes a person hesitate....at least I do being on SS.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:12 PM

337 posts, read 1,431,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
In the Albertsons ( not sure if they are still around ) I had an item and the lady quoted me my price and I told her it was wrong. compared with the item was marked on the shelf , they confirmed this and I got the item for FREE !

That was their policy ( back then ) if it is MISMARKED its FREE !
I MISS Albertson's!!!! I now live in central Florida, and haven't seen an Albertson's store since two states ago! (I move a lot!)

Will shop at Walmart strictly for the price, but hate feeding the beast! Wish Publix's prices would come down to be more competitive with Wmart!

Old 10-08-2010, 07:21 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,690,750 times
WALMART has done more to destroy Americas Economy than Al Quieda, if it is a choice between WALMART or doing without, I'll do without

Old 10-08-2010, 08:37 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Michigan has a retail pricing law, that requires every store to have the price marked directly on every item. A store like WalMart is allowed to have, I think, 20 items that are not directly priced, and they have to have a list of those items at the entrance to the store, in order to give the retailer some leeway on the kinds of products that would be problematic to individually price. Which means WM employees have to go through the stock and put a price tag on every item.

The price tag on the item can be matched against the ring-up at the register, or against the ticket in the shopping bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living