Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 04:37 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times

Advertisements

If you think you are saving money at W-mart you may be in for a big surprise. I recently shopped at W-mart and on two consecutive occasions I was charged more for two separate items at the register than the label on the shelf. They did return the difference but with a nasty attitude. I found two overhcarged items by buying less than ten items on two separate trips to W-mart. With that indicator in a store stocking 10,000 items plus can you imagine how many items are overcharged?

A word of caution when shopping W-mart; I suggest making a store list with enough room to jot down the shelf price and recording the shelf price as you shop. Before you leave the store compare your shopping list with the register receipt. You just might realize a savings you didn't count on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 06:46 AM

176 posts, read 583,759 times
This can happen at any story; I don't believe it is a bigger problem at Walmart than elsewhere.

I primarily go to Walmart for one-stop shopping--the time savings over going to multiple stores.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:02 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense01 View Post
This can happen at any story; I don't believe it is a bigger problem at Walmart than elsewhere.
I agree; this absolutely is not unique to WalMart. In fact, I've seen TV news segments and other news articles over the years about this very issue at various grocery stores. In virtually all cases, the stores were just as guilty as underpricing items as they were at overpricing them. When you have 100s, if not 1000s, of items to price, and the prices on many of the items are changed weekly or even every three days, mistakes are going to be made. I have made it a habit to always check my receipt for any obvious mistakes before leaving the store or the parking lot.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:21 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times
I also agree that W-mart is not the only one doing this, but do you think this practice is acceptable?

I remember went scanners first went into use and customers were very cautious of them. Many stores had the policy that if you found one item not priced correctly you order was free.

I believe these stores do this intentionally assuming most people won't check and those that do will be given the money back with a lot of inconvenience.

My intention here was to raise awareness to the problem. Most of us are trying to save money and being ripped off is not the way to do it.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:47 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
I add up my budget before I go and while I'm putting stuff in the buggy. I only check it if it is really off from what I guessed it to be. Maybe I should check it closer.

I really don't think WalMart would be more guilty than any other store and even then, I would be more prone to think it was a mistake rather than intentionally done. In this economy, none of these stores need any more negative publicity than they already get.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:18 AM

458 posts, read 1,670,396 times
I had this experience at Target the other day. A racetrack toy set was on clearance for $14.99, (normal price $49.99). It had a sticker on it declaring the clearance. When I checked out, it rang up for $49.99, and when I pointed out that it was marked at $14.99, the checkout person was very nasty about it, saying it WASN'T on clearance. I replied that that was fine, I was okay leaving it if it cost $49.99, but she should be aware that there were 7 identical toys in the back with the same markdown on them.

It happens everywhere, at all stores, and I don't think it is intentional. I DO think it is inappropriate if they are rude about checking the price. They need to accept that they make mistakes, and be polite in verifying the price, rather than assume every customer is out to cheat them. I always watch the receipt (at least when I don't have 2 toddlers with me) and usually the worker is nice about double checking the price for me. Even at Walmart.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:37 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I've only had two experiences that I can remember in which a store fought me back about an overscan or a mispriced article. Both were at WalMart.

Michigan has a very strict overscan law that applies penalties to the store on the spot. In Michigan, every individual item has to have the price on it, no shelf pricing. In the Michigan WalMart I shopped at, there was a very snotty jerk who's job seemed to be to insult and threaten shoppers, and he was always called when there was a price dispute.

He once told me that the law was that the shopper had to leave the store, and then bring the article back if they discovered an error. If the shopper finds the error before leaving the store, the store only had to correct it. He then refused to do anything, because the sales slip was timestamped only a few minutes ago, and he accused me of searching the store for something mismarked (it was a loaf of bread) in order to rip them off. Michigan law requires paying back double the mismatch, up to $10. He would have had to pay me back 66 cents instead of 33. He finally gave me my 66 cents, and never acknowledged that it was actually mismarked, and told me I would no longer be allowed to shop in that store. I told him I've been kicked out of better places than WalMart. I was kicked out of the Gold Museum in Bogota, I bet WalMart can't top that.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:50 PM

362 posts, read 392,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
If you think you are saving money at W-mart you may be in for a big surprise. I recently shopped at W-mart and on two consecutive occasions I was charged more for two separate items at the register than the label on the shelf. They did return the difference but with a nasty attitude. I found two overhcarged items by buying less than ten items on two separate trips to W-mart. With that indicator in a store stocking 10,000 items plus can you imagine how many items are overcharged?

A word of caution when shopping W-mart; I suggest making a store list with enough room to jot down the shelf price and recording the shelf price as you shop. Before you leave the store compare your shopping list with the register receipt. You just might realize a savings you didn't count on.
I agree with the other posters. It happens in many places. But on the upside, if an item is marked on the shelf lower than it usually is or is supposed to be you can get that price. Actually I think they have to give you the price on the display or shelf. I've gotten a lot of things for less jsut because they forgot to take down a sign or change a display.

Most times if you go to CS at walmart and say an item was marked less than it scans for they will give you the diff without even checking it.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:14 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
I agree this can and does happpen anywhere.

A friend who was a checker at a grocery told me that they were rated on how many items they scan per hour, regardless of the price. so, if you have a baskeq brimming with stuff, she would double scan some inexpensive items while you were distracted, 99% of the time you'd never notice. she said she felt pressured into this because the other clerks did so, if not her statistics would be off.

After that I watch my scanner like a hawk. I don't let them scan while I'm putting stuff up. If I have my kids, I let them unload, otherwise, I insist they stop scanning while I'm unloading. helpful I have an excellent short-term memory. If I've price-shopped 50 itesm, I know those prices, I can tell at a glance if its off. But I've found the biggest mistake they make is double scanning an item.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:50 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
In the Albertsons ( not sure if they are still around ) I had an item and the lady quoted me my price and I told her it was wrong. compared with the item was marked on the shelf , they confirmed this and I got the item for FREE !

That was their policy ( back then ) if it is MISMARKED its FREE !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living