Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 06:39 AM

599 posts, read 498,540 times

Advertisements

I asked the owner of our local facility about the whole auction deal. It's a pretty big place with at least 100 10x15 and bigger lockers, located in a rural, middle and working class area. She claimed that the whole TV reality version of the auction scene is a farce. They work hard at trying to get the renters to pay up, since getting at least some of the back rent, and a customer who is willing to haul their own junk back out of the unit, is always better than an auction. They have at least one auction a year, and rarely end up with big numbers on bids. For every $500-1000 bid, they have several that have no offers, and they end up hauling mostly trash to the dumpster, to get the unit cleaned up and ready to rent again. Her goal is to get the thing empty and ready to rent, at the least cost and headache. Most of the time, the answer is not an auction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 06:45 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
When my husband died, we had two storage rooms filled with all kinds of stuff some of it valuable including a riding lawn mower, an outdoor fountain, outdoor benches, 200 beanie babies, etc. Whoever bid on those units got themselves some nice things. Unfortunately my wedding dress was in there along with a large collection of Creative Memories stuff I had.

Losing some of my sentimental items made me realize that things are just not that important and I don't concern myself much with saving much of anything if it doesn't have a practical use.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:45 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
There are plenty of articles about how storage wars is staged... in fact almost all of those supposed reality shows on all those science channels are faked in some way or another, which is why in many cases I find I can't stomach watching them. This is especially true of those ghost hunting shows.

With storage wars they plant valuable items in the lockers to make the show more interesting. In pawn stars, they just plain exaggerate the value of the items.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:12 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
I'd think that the odds of finding something good/worthwhile to me would be so slim that I wouldn't bother bidding. My thought process is that most people are going to find a way to get their crap out of storage if its really, objectively valuable and you can easily realize that value.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:56 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Auctions are meant to drive the selling-price UP. Couple that fact with the trendiness of auctions via TV shows, probably not that good of a way to buy stuff anymore.

Old 05-20-2022, 09:38 AM

198 posts, read 71,697 times
I went to an auction once. A 'friend' asked me to bid on her unit to save her stuff. I did, for $30.

When I told her I purchased the unit, she acted like she was insulted and the end result was, she refused to pay me because 'I had no right to buy her stuff'.

There were mainly clothes and personal papers inside.

The papers went to the trash as well as a lot of the clothes.

I kept the quality clothes, and I wore them.

I think I got my money's worth, barely.

Some of the clothes were very nice.

Photo from: SpareFoot.com

Old 05-20-2022, 05:53 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
A next door neighbor went to one of those and bought a storage unit, which was full of pretty much worthless junk. She had a yard sale and sold what she could and hauled the rest to the dump. She just about broke even. She had a small loss and spent a lot of time on it. Said it was an interesting experience but she wouldn't do it again. I think she only paid $30 for the unit and didn't even get that much back.

That TV show where they buy storage units, all I see is a bunch of worthless junk, They will be going through it saying "I can get $100 for this and $40 for that, and I'm looking at the stuff an thinking "I doubt it".

People do put good stuff into storage but if the unit contains Grandma's diamond tiara and an 18th century sterling silver punch bowl set, they aren't going to abandon the unit. The abandoned units are much more likely to be the belongings of tenants who were evicted and stuff that didn't sell at someone's moving sale.

Possibly, there might be nice things in a unit that got abandoned because someone died and the heirs didn't know the unit was there or couldn't arrange to get the stored stuff, but that is going to be unusual.

Old 05-21-2022, 08:45 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
The TV show the 'buyers' have someplace to 'move / Sell it' like a second hand store. So while the $100 / $40 is probably high, If they can get a larger locker for $40-50 that might clear $200-300 from it.

Old 08-10-2022, 10:58 PM

11 posts, read 15,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
A next door neighbor went to one of those and bought a storage unit, which was full of pretty much worthless junk. She had a yard sale and sold what she could and hauled the rest to the dump. She just about broke even. She had a small loss and spent a lot of time on it. Said it was an interesting experience but she wouldn't do it again. I think she only paid $30 for the unit and didn't even get that much back.

That TV show where they buy storage units, all I see is a bunch of worthless junk, They will be going through it saying "I can get $100 for this and $40 for that, and I'm looking at the stuff an thinking "I doubt it".

People do put good stuff into storage but if the unit contains Grandma's diamond tiara and an 18th century sterling silver punch bowl set, they aren't going to abandon the unit. The abandoned units are much more likely to be the belongings of tenants who were evicted and stuff that didn't sell at someone's moving sale.

Possibly, there might be nice things in a unit that got abandoned because someone died and the heirs didn't know the unit was there or couldn't arrange to get the stored stuff, but that is going to be unusual.
Let's see how it all works. The storage units can be anywhere between 10′ x 5′ or 10′ x 30′. So the average storage unit is around the size of the master bedrooms. Now, let's take the average and assume that it is 20′ x 10′. In such a case, you can fit around 12-15 rooms in a storage unit. If there is enough stock of the same item and if all of it is functional, then it will surely sell. If the item is not popular, then you will have trashed that unit. That is the normal way of thinking. But, on the contrary, you can actually buy unique and antique stuff and make money out of it. Things like vintage furniture, antique look knick-knacks and the likes can be really profitable. Therefore, the storage unit can be a great place to shop for some really good antiques.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living