Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 06:52 AM

37,277 posts, read 61,034,194 times

Advertisements

No flat screens here.

We have one TV, an old 17inch model. We only use it for watching DVDs. No TV signal here, our town has no cable, we have no desire to pay for a dish subscription.

We do more with internet [Netflix, Hulu].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 09:28 AM

15,115 posts, read 32,173,278 times
I have a 13" tv, it's not a flat screen, and it works fine. I have basic cable, and a DVD player that I've never hooked up. Eventually, I'll get a larger tv, but it won't be a flat screen, and I'll buy it from Salvation Army on a 50% off day.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:01 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,035,320 times
The only reason we have a 26" flat screen (flat panel) TV is because a friend gave it to us. It was brand new. I guess they already had too many tvs. Otherwise we would still have a tiny 13" tv. We would never pay $500 for the flat screen tv.

Hey, your co-workers might make fun of you now, but just wait.

Years ago I worked at a place that was at the top of a big hill. We only had one (old) car and I rode my bike to work. I liked riding my bike. My coworkers would zoom by me in their new cars as I rode or walked my bike up the hill. After working there a year or two and saving a bunch of money I quit that job to take a 2 month road trip all around the USA (in that old car). Many of my coworkers were quite envious.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:16 AM

15,633 posts, read 26,144,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
We were all talking about TV's and the fact I still don;t own a flat screen tv everyone thought it was hilarous that in 2010 almost 2011 that I still don;t have a flat screen. Then they made fun of the fact that my biggest TV is only 24 inches.

I guess I'm just committed to sticking to my financial goals and don't feel a upgrade is necessary right now. Anyone situated like me and don't have a flat screen or a TV bigger than 24 inches?
Our old TV went out and right before then, we were lucky to find a large tubed (are they tubes?) tv that is fine. We're using that for now. Works okay, color's good.

We are heavy tv watchers. And we watch tv together, and talk about it. (during the commercials -- never while the program is on!)

We are looking to upgrade to a flat screen, and have been looking for well over a year.... we might not make the jump until the old Sony dies. And there are things we don't understand about flat screens, and don't like about flat screens, like picture loss and dark spots when you move. But I don't think you can find the other kind of tv.

The biggest thing that gets me about all sorts of new technology that we "have" to have is so often why is the new stuff worse? Like the dark spots on flat screens, our cordless phone (and other peoples) is pretty useless, cell phone drop offs.... and we take it because we have to have it.

And yet my favorite phone in the house is my rotary dial....

Old 12-11-2010, 02:16 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,991,853 times
No flat screen here, still have a couple of CRT's. They still work so why fix it if it isn't broken? Also don't have cell phones. Well DH has a prepaid, but only because he commutes about 60 miles to work through areas without towns, so if his truck breaks down he needs a way to call AAA.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:24 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,239,147 times
Laugh your way to the bank! I don't have one either...tv is not my life. I save my money. And really, if tv is that important to some people, isn't that sort of sad?!

Old 12-11-2010, 02:46 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,844,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Laugh your way to the bank! I don't have one either...tv is not my life. I save my money. And really, if tv is that important to some people, isn't that sort of sad?!
That's exactly what I will do and told them if I really wanted one I could buy one today.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:49 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,943,364 times
Quote:
We were all talking about TV's and the fact I still don;t own a flat screen tv everyone thought it was hilarous that in 2010 almost 2011 that I still don;t have a flat screen. Then they made fun of the fact that my biggest TV is only 24 inches.

I guess I'm just committed to sticking to my financial goals and don't feel a upgrade is necessary right now. Anyone situated like me and don't have a flat screen or a TV bigger than 24 inches?
You should just lie to them and tell them you have a full-on, dedicated media room with a 100" flatscreen TV, theater seating with 'Butt Kicker', and a fully stocked bar, soda fountain, and popcorn maker.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:55 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,367,298 times
Quote:

lol... are you for real?

Old 12-11-2010, 02:56 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,844,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
You should just lie to them and tell them you have a full-on, dedicated media room with a 100" flatscreen TV, theater seating with 'Butt Kicker', and a fully stocked bar, soda fountain, and popcorn maker.
I guess it was easy to laugh with them because I have the money to get one today but just have no interest-lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living