Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 02:58 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
lol... are you for real?
About what? the 24 inch tv?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 03:06 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
I have a regular CRT TV, 24", cost me 225 bucks 4 years ago. I have no need for anything bigger or newer.

Additionally, I don't own a cellphone and still use rotary dial telephones in my house.. And my car is a 14 year old former rental car. So don't feel like the Lone Ranger.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:13 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
You should just lie to them and tell them you have a full-on, dedicated media room with a 100" flatscreen TV, theater seating with 'Butt Kicker', and a fully stocked bar, soda fountain, and popcorn maker.
That's not a good plan. Then, they'll pester you for an invite.

The BEST part of the CRT TV is that noone expects (or wants) you to be the host for big games.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:51 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
I don't have a flatscreen

Old 12-11-2010, 05:08 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,527,116 times
I agree with the other posters, who cares.

In 2nd grade Jimmy Wallace made fun of me because I didn't have the LA Knights that lit up

If your happy with the televisions you have then keep them.

I have a flat screen but only because it was in a storage unit I bought at auction. It was a 50" Flat screen. I actually just sold it last weekend. Its bigger than I need and I dont see the advantage of hi def, doesnt really make much diff to me. I plan on buying one in a few weeks, it makes sense, it probably saves a little on power b/c more efficient energy star or whatever, also they are so light, you can have a 50" tv now that weighs like 40lbs as opposed to your 24" that probably weighs almost twice that.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:25 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
I've got a co worker who doesn't have a flat screen either. She has a perfectly good tv that is probably older than me (29). Once it stops working, she says she'll get herself one.
She may get flack from others for it but she's living within her means and that's the most important thing of all and doing other things with her money instead.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:00 PM

107 posts, read 214,303 times
No flat screen here. We have the little 13" we bought at a yard sale in 1992 in our bedroom. I bought a $15 Sony DVD player for it this week through Craigslist. We have a 19" tube TV that we bought in 1994 downstairs in the living room that nobody watches. Our neighbor recently upgraded to a 55" flat screen (which, if we look out our front windows can watch for free, LOL) and gave us his old 33" tube TV that gets a GREAT picture and we got it for free. What more does anyone need? I've heard that flat screen TV's are finicky, fragile and will have a short life span. And they cost how much???

Last Christmas I thought my husband and son (big Patriots fans) were going to buckle and come home with a gigantic flat screen HDTV. I pretty much threatened their lives and they did not come home with one. I just cannot justify spending $1,000 to $2,000 on a TV, $100 on a pair of jeans or sneakers, or $300 for a video game unit. I have to hear my college age son complain all the time that his friends' parents have 50"+ flat screens, Wii, playstation, expensive German cars (the kids, not the parents). People in this country got into serious debt and lost homes because they HAD TO KEEP UP WITH THE JONESES. When are going to learn?

Old 12-11-2010, 08:46 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Maybe they just think it's odd since you are so obviously INTERESTED in TV. For heaven's sake, you call yourself "TVandSportsGuy"! My TV is not a flat screen, but I'm known more for reading than watching TV. Nobody would think it strange that my TV is ten years old, but they rightfully would think it weird if I didn't have a library card. I'm not criticizing your frugality, I just can imagine some confusion on the part of your co-workers. Would you expect someone called "MrNASCAR" to ride the bus?

Old 12-11-2010, 08:53 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Maybe they just think it's odd since you are so obviously INTERESTED in TV. For heaven's sake, you call yourself "TVandSportsGuy"! My TV is not a flat screen, but I'm known more for reading than watching TV. Nobody would think it strange that my TV is ten years old, but they rightfully would think it weird if I didn't have a library card. I'm not criticizing your frugality, I just can imagine some confusion on the part of your co-workers. Would you expect someone called "MrNASCAR" to ride the bus?

That's what one of them said. She said as passionate as I am about TV she wasn't expecting to hear that I only had a 24 inch tv

Old 12-12-2010, 12:04 AM

40 posts, read 185,783 times
That's crazy. In my circle of friends, the status is that you don't ever watch TV because you're too busy with work or some other lofty pursuit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living