Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 12:55 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times

Advertisements

I don't have a TV at all. Just sayin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 12:58 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I don't have a TV at all. Just sayin'.
that's because you probably don't like watching TV not because you are being frugal

Old 12-12-2010, 01:13 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
On thurs bought a 32" Sanyo Flat screen for $318 at Walmart. Placed it next to my older 32" Sharp to get a comparison of the picture. Color is better, need to adjust some of the settings as the top of a persons head is cut off and lose some of the updated sports scores at the bottom of the screen. Last night I just watched the Heismans trophy on the older TV...larger and full size picture. At this point am having my doubts about the Flat LCD TV.

In my old age am a little slower in getting things done...oh well I will manage somehow.

My 13" in the kitchen works real well for the $59.95 I paid at Walmart yrs ago.

Have three Sat receivers and only one being used for all the three TV sets.

Grandaughter coming by in a couple of weeks or so...will offer her the DVR I used off and on for one yr...extra $5 a month is not bad of a fee.

Steve

Old 12-12-2010, 03:18 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
We were all talking about TV's and the fact I still don;t own a flat screen tv everyone thought it was hilarous that in 2010 almost 2011 that I still don;t have a flat screen. Then they made fun of the fact that my biggest TV is only 24 inches.

I guess I'm just committed to sticking to my financial goals and don't feel a upgrade is necessary right now. Anyone situated like me and don't have a flat screen or a TV bigger than 24 inches?
While your co-workers were unkind to you about the TV's you own (it's really none of their $%@@ damn business!) the truth is that in 2012 all cable providers will be allowed to stop down converting digital to analog for their customers that don't have digital TV (flat screen or otherwise).

This change will require those who are analog TV holdouts to buy/rent converter boxes or new TV's. That said, now is a good time to shop for good deals on a simple flat screen TV.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
On thurs bought a 32" Sanyo Flat screen for $318 at Walmart. Placed it next to my older 32" Sharp to get a comparison of the picture. Color is better, need to adjust some of the settings as the top of a persons head is cut off and lose some of the updated sports scores at the bottom of the screen. Last night I just watched the Heismans trophy on the older TV...larger and full size picture. At this point am having my doubts about the Flat LCD TV.

In my old age am a little slower in getting things done...oh well I will manage somehow.

My 13" in the kitchen works real well for the $59.95 I paid at Walmart yrs ago.

Have three Sat receivers and only one being used for all the three TV sets.

Grandaughter coming by in a couple of weeks or so...will offer her the DVR I used off and on for one yr...extra $5 a month is not bad of a fee.

Steve
There is little doubt that the older CRT analog sets produce better color from all viewing points in the room. But hey! CRT TV's were a mature tech that just couldn't grow anymore. Not a bad thing but ,in time, the newer LCD/Plasma TVs will get better and better.

One thing I think that is a huge mistake for the TV industry now is 3D TV. IMO that's gonna be a huge costly mistake for all who buy into it. As it is now the TV industry is not to far away from Hologram TV which IS worth the time and money to build up and invest in!

Old 12-12-2010, 03:25 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
While your co-workers were unkind to you about the TV's you own (it's really none of their $%@@ damn business!) the truth is that in 2012 all cable providers will be allowed to stop down converting digital to analog for their customers that don't have digital TV (flat screen or otherwise).

This change will require those who are analog TV holdouts to buy/rent converter boxes or new TV's. That said, now is a good time to shop for good deals on a simple flat screen TV.

I want to move in 2012 so I see no need to get one until I move into my new Apt. I don' see myself bringing anything else NEW inside this apt.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I want to move in 2012 so I see no need to get one until I move into my new Apt. I don' see myself bringing anything else NEW inside this apt.
That timing should work for you OK. That said, now , then, is the time for you to learn about the newer TV to understand what your choices will be so you can buy a TV without bells and whistles you don't need/want.

Yes, I said LEARN. Buying a TV today isn't like when we bought our CRT sets years ago at all. That is also why I suggest that you find a SIMPLE flat screen and that could be a chore to sort out from all the others until you understand the newer TV's.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:53 PM

929 posts, read 2,091,883 times
If it works for you, who cares what anyone else thinks or what type of TV anyone else happens to own. Everyone has to make their own choices. I just feel for the people who have to own the latest and greatest things and are willing to go into debt to own them.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:14 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Some people are pressured to do so--sometimes by other friends or family members. Personally? I don't throw parties, I don't go to parties (generally) and I don't like it when someone else throws one for me.

I guess if it's a "surprise" party, I don't get much choice about going to it...because I don't know it's happening to begin with. That only happened once to me though.
Good for you, whatever makes you happy. I wasn't responding to your comment though...obviously you feel differently than the person I originally responded to.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:50 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Good for you, whatever makes you happy. I wasn't responding to your comment though...obviously you feel differently than the person I originally responded to.
I'm pretty sure that THAT person didn't really want to have parties either. That's why they said it was a RELIEF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living