Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 08:36 PM

176 posts, read 584,493 times

Advertisements

While lots of products are cheaper online, when you add shipping/handling the total price is usually higher for lower priced items. Consequently I buy little online, as I buy very few more expensive items. Consumer electronics and shipping supplies for my business are the big ones. I buy some books and veterinary supplies online.

What does everyone else buy online?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 08:47 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,698,570 times
If I were to buy anything online, it would have to do with out of state travel, or music or books that are no longer "hip" enough to be sold in the stores.

For instance, "Lucky Man" by Dave Koz has been out for more than five years, so it isn't likely to be found in stores now. If I wanted that disc, I would have to buy it online.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:54 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,286,096 times
I'm rebuilding the library I lost a few years ago via amazon. I'm perfectly fine with ex-library books and even prefer them over newly printed ones. The older ones were better made. I can search on an author or subject and they have that nice email suggesting things I might like. Problem is I usually do.

I also get my medical stuff online as its a lot cheaper. They deliver on time so I don't have to hope the local order comes in on time. I'm even considering branching out with pet food. I'm thinking of the higher qualty types (augumented with meat and such) of kibble that I can get if the weather is bad or not and I don't have to worry about finding a ride.

I like amazon for books and movies and discovered they have much else. I also, even if I end up buying it in a store, will look up reviews for products on various sites. That is how I discovered that the previous keyboard which had died again was known to have problems with keys simply stopping working. So I researched the similar kinds and got one with numerous five star reviews and NO noted problems.

I expect that I will actually end up buying more from online sources than I do now as it doesn't involve going to the next town and hoping that that day they have it on the shelves. I have also had no problem with returns online where this cannot be said of stores.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:38 PM

805 posts, read 1,086,448 times
I can't say enough good things about amazon.com. It's getting to the point where I don't really need to go to a retail store anymore, due to the low cost on Amazon, no taxes, no wear and tear on car, etc. Plus, all the reviews are right there! Personally, I can't feel good purchasing a product over $50 in the store without having seen the review page, and Amazon makes that so convenient.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:48 AM

37,501 posts, read 61,499,915 times
I commonly find tools online much cheaper and with much wider selections then I do in local stores.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:51 AM

804 posts, read 2,895,078 times
We signed up for auto ship on Amazon for our childs diapers and it saves a fair amount. The shipping is free and the diapers are cheaper than Fred Meyer or Costco has them. Plus we do not have to run to the store for diapers. If we are getting low we can go on and click ship and we have them in two days. I highly recommend it.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:57 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,381,127 times
I live in Seattle, so Amazon is a local store for me. And our Amazon Prime membership has paid for itself.

Also, I live in Seattle so shopping at small merchants in popular areas means time wasted in traffic and money wasted for parking. The malls have the same stores that you can find anywhere else, so there isn't any local benefit there, either. Plus, I loathe shopping. Absolutely loathe it. It seems pointless to spend all the time to drive to a store to get something that I can buy online with a few clicks. That leaves me more time to spend playing with my daughter or doing things around the house.

The only things I go to the store for are groceries and clothing. Everything else I pretty much buy online. Running out of razor blades? They are cheaper on Amazon, I get free shipping, and I'll have them the day after tomorrow. Need replacement wiper blades for the car? Heard about a good book? The kid wants that new Tinkerbell movie? Amazon. I do have to admit that once I find a style of pants that I like, it's easy to buy the same type online using the brand and style number.

I bought a replacement mirror for my wife's minivan online and replaced it myself. $60 for a job that the Mazda dealer wanted to charge me $350 to do. Got a car stereo for Christmas and a pair of speakers. Wanted to get another pair of the same speakers and saw that Best Buy had them in stock. Then I pulled up Amazon on my iPhone and saw that they, too had the speakers. At half the price. Press, "buy with one click" and two days later they are on my doorstep. Instead of dealing with someone asking me if I wanted an extended warranty on my speakers and parking in a dark garage filled with cell-phone-chatting suburbanites in SUVS, I was able to buy what I wanted in 15 seconds.

I can see a time when I only go to the grocery store to buy produce and meat. Amazon and other stores like Safeway and Albertsons deliver to my address.

Would I rather spend my time with Sam Walton's boys or with my own daughter? Would I rather spend a Saturday schlepping from store to store, or going for a hike with my family?

Sorry, local retailers, but my family is more important to me than you are.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:08 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,218,665 times
Sign up for Amazon Prime. $80/year and you get free two day shipping on all orders. I order pretty much all books/gifts, and even some groceries through Amazon now. When you spread the $80 membership across a full calendar year, the shipping costs become negligible. I also don't have to plan. I can order a $2 tube of toothpaste and have it shipped to me in two days without shipping costs. The $80 you spend is much less than you would even pay in gas driving to/from physical stores in a calendar year.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:08 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,499,602 times
If you have a mobile device..

Shop normally as you do for deals in your local stores. Before you buy it, check the price online. If it's cheaper, see if you can bargain the price down.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:27 PM

386 posts, read 1,016,507 times
Furniture. I am saving two thirds the retail cost (even with shipping charges) for the same merchandise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living