Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:19 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,527,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think you contradicted yourself. A frugal person is one who NEVER thinks about saving money. It just comes naturally. Spending money feels like having your shoes on the wrong feet, and it's unfair to criticize someone for doing something that feels good and natural.

A frugal person is one who, if you invite him out to lunch, will still order the cheapest thing on the menu and pass on the dessert, because it makes him feel uncomfortable doing otherwise.
I think your confusing frugal with cheap.

As long as your out at a restaurant spending money you may as well enjoy yourself. Why order the cheapest thing if your not truly going to enjoy it, as long as your spending may as well enjoy.

Cheapest option is probably grill cheese or PB&J at a restaurant. Your still paying $7 for either of those which is crazy. You may as well spend an extra $2 or $3 and get a pasta dish or chicken dish and actually enjoy what your eating and get a real meal.

The whole washing sandwhich bags blows my mind too. I buy the cheap walmart brand, cost nothing for like 500 bags. The amount your spending on water and the wasted time is more than just tossing the bag would cost plus to most people thats just crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 06:49 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
I'm frugal for sure or as my Scottish ansesters would say, "canny" with my money.
I like to save whenever I can but I don't have an obsession about it.
I have had a couple of real misers in my family and it's truly a mental illness. One cousin was worth millions and yet he lived in an old house without any heat, a roof that leaked like a seive and he looked like a homeless bum.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:54 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Ooops, just realized I never actually answered the question:

Quote:
You know you've gone overboard with frugality when..
My running shoes are so worn out that my feet hurt.

Don't worry I corrected this this weekend. Even found a killer-deal on made-in-the USA New Balance running shoes!

Old 02-08-2011, 07:51 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I disagree. That ^^^ sounds like a stingy person, and stingy is neither happy nor healthy.
There are myriad ways in which other people's lifestyle differs from mine. It would be very easy for me to declare that they are neither happy nor healthy, as a consequence of not being like me. But I do not have such a narrow view as to that I have chosen the true path or happiness and health, and all others are in error.

By the way, if you offer to buy me lunch, and I try to save YOU money by ordering something simple, exactly how does that make ME stingy?

Here's a deal. You buy me lunch, and I'll decide what to order. Let's see which of us is the stingy one. Hint: You won't buy me lunch, will you? Why not?

Last edited by jtur88; 02-08-2011 at 08:03 AM..

Old 02-08-2011, 09:48 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Quote:
I think you contradicted yourself. A frugal person is one who NEVER thinks about saving money. It just comes naturally. Spending money feels like having your shoes on the wrong feet, and it's unfair to criticize someone for doing something that feels good and natural.

A frugal person is one who, if you invite him out to lunch, will still order the cheapest thing on the menu and pass on the dessert, because it makes him feel uncomfortable doing otherwise.
I find myself doing this whether the other person is paying or I am paying. I guess I am used to cooking at home 80 % of the week.

When I say cheapest : I get the chicken . I actually love it...!

Or I try to get those neat specials where you get entree, drink and dessert.

I don't * miss * steak and expensive items. But on RARE occasion I will spring for Lobster. ..

Old 02-08-2011, 10:47 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Default You know you've gone overboard with frugality when..

....Your family and friends are mad at you because you've never bought a cellphone. Whats so wrong with saving money and staying out of touch at the same time?

Old 02-08-2011, 11:38 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,874,369 times
Quote:

No...no contradiction that I see. Even frugal people spend time couponing, deciding where they will get the most value for an upcoming purchase, etc... I don't think being frugal comes naturally for everyone.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:45 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
It goes too far when you are doing things for short term savings that are costing you money in the long-term or are otherwise quite risky.

Things like driving cars with dangerously worn tires, not having mandatory car insurance, not taking medicine etc.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:48 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
.. your janitor drives a nicer and shinier car than you. (True story!)

What's yours?
That may be the case but it also be missleading. I may be frugal and pay my last two cars cash whereas he may have a shinier late model car then mine but is stuck with payment for the next 4 or 5 years, take care.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:51 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
No...no contradiction that I see. Even frugal people spend time couponing, deciding where they will get the most value for an upcoming purchase, etc... I don't think being frugal comes naturally for everyone.
Not necessarily. A frugal person already knows from experience quite a lot about where and how the bargains are, and spends very little time fretting over them. Comparing prices is fine for big-ticket items, but frugal people don't buy many of those. If I compare 3 or 4 prices, I'll just buy the best deal, instead of exhausting myself trying to top the best of those. I'd never spend more than a minute or two comparing prices of a jar of peanut butter, and I already know which store has the cheapest one, and I won't keep going back to the higher priced store just to verify it. When I see a good price, I know it's a good price, and I might stock up, but there no time spent making that decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living