Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 07:43 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,295,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
my show shoes are a mens size 10 and I wear a ladies size 8
20yrsinBranson
I wear dh's shoes after he thinks he's worn them out. They are my yard shoes. I put on my cleanest Walmart shoes to go into town.

For me, it isn't going overboard, because they fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 06:09 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,244,818 times
"You know you've gone overboard with frugality when.."

When you steal paper napkins form the fast food place to use for toilet paper at home....

Or is that just being CHEAP?

Old 02-13-2011, 10:08 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,527,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
Guilty. I also ask my co-workers to bring me a bag of plastic forks/spoons when they go to Chipotle or Mr. Goodcents.
This isn't frugal, it's cheap and it's stealing.

Sure your not going to be arrested for it but condiments, plastic utensils, etc are there for you to use as a customer and while eating at a restaurant, not for you to stock up your own home.

I have a buddy who managers a restaurant and though we may think oh those cheap silverware sets at the fast food place, that, condiments, napkins, etc are a huge expense for restaurants.

You taking extra causes prices to go up for everyone, and it's not frugal its cheap.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:14 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,002,221 times
You buy stuff you don't need in sizes that don't fit you (but you hope will someday) because it's dollar days at Goodwill?

Old 02-22-2011, 12:31 PM

168 posts, read 308,106 times
you have calculated the expense of heating water and instead of washing ziploc bags you write on them with a sharpie what was in them so you can reuse them with something from the same taste/food group. (small sandwich and snack bags)

you brush your teeth with hot water so by the time your done brushing the water is actually hot so you can shave and not dump water down the drain waiting for it to get hot.

you and the wife have argued over .02 for 2 boxes of pasta in the middle of a grocery store and the defense you used was "but think if we spent the extra .02 every week. do you realize the savings if you put it into a savings account and add interest starting tomorrow and do it every week for 30 years?!"

you live in downtown indianapolis and you consider putting up a windmill to reduce your electric bill.

you have talked to your boss about adjusting your work hours so you miss rush hour and get 2 more mpg.

i have done or still do all of these.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:07 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times
To me, there's a fine line between saving money and getting what you pay for. There's nothing wrong with looking for a bargain, but when quality stops mattering, you've gone too far. My father is a classic example of this. Several years ago, he had to replace the alternator on his car, but instead of buying a brand-new alternator for $100, he bought a rebuilt alternator for $40. The rebuilt alternator died a year later, so he bought another rebuilt alternator for $40. That one died after six months. At that point he'd wasted money because the cost of a third alternator on top of the two he'd already bought was more than the $100 he could have spent on a brand-new alternator, regardless of whether the third was brand-new or rebuilt. He also wasted time on repairs that he could have avoided.

I need sunglasses when I drive because my eyes get tired easily, but my head is a bit larger than normal, so all the cheap sunglasses I ever bought would eventually break. I'd actually gone through four pairs in one year, with each pair costing between $30 and $50, but ultimately breaking. When my fourth pair broke shortly before my birthday, my mom took me to an eyeglass store to get a custom-fitted pair. My new pair of sunglasses cost $180, so of course my father flipped out. They're still in good condition over 10 years later. These days, anytime my father scolds anybody about wasting money, I remind him of my 10-year-old pair of sunglasses and his three replacement alternators.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:11 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,325,718 times
You stop off at the cemetery on your way to meet your girlfriend for her birthday so you can surprise her with a nice bouquet of flowers.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:40 PM

168 posts, read 308,106 times
^ dont forget to sneak your own alcohol into the restaurant.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:43 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
I have a friend who always goes to the produce aisle, where there is a mist sprayer, and picks out his greens first, to let them dry off by the time he gets to the checkout, so they don't weigh the water and charge him for it.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:18 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I have a friend who always goes to the produce aisle, where there is a mist sprayer, and picks out his greens first, to let them dry off by the time he gets to the checkout, so they don't weigh the water and charge him for it.
Sounds like the people who only purchase gas at the coldest time of the day (so it's most dense.. amounts to maybe similar savings.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living