Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 04:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Sounds like the people who only purchase gas at the coldest time of the day (so it's most dense.. amounts to maybe similar savings.)
No, gas stored above ground has quite a high coefficient of expansion. But nearly all modern gas stations have underground tanks, which remain at a constant temperature all the time, so you would save nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 05:17 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
You put your sunglasses on when you visit friends because you are not used to so much light, and find it uncomfortably warm because you're not used to over 55 F temps. Of course during the summer you put on a sweater.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:39 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
1) No
2) No
3) Yes, I've done that on occasion.
4) No
5) No
same as your answers

Old 01-29-2012, 03:36 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I have a friend who always goes to the produce aisle, where there is a mist sprayer, and picks out his greens first, to let them dry off by the time he gets to the checkout, so they don't weigh the water and charge him for it.
That's cheap?? I do it all the times...
- I peel off bad leaves of cabbage or take off rotten pieces of bagged fruit - why should I pay for something I cannot eat or use?
- I occasionally wash/reuse sandwich/freezer bags, jars, bottles or containers.
- "A frugal person is one who, if you invite him out to lunch, will still order the cheapest thing on the menu" - not even a matter of frugality, but I find it extremely rude when people order the most expensive dish, when invited out to eat, but when they invite to eat, they will go to the cheapest place and order the cheapest dish.
- I also agree with this: "When I see a good price, I know it's a good price, and I might stock up, but there no time spent making that decision." - because I remember the price of items I buy frequently. With other items, I just make a quick decision if they are worth TO ME their asking price.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:58 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
The whole washing plastic bags is one thing that frugal people do that seems to be the touchstone for everyone.

About five or six years ago, I bought a boxed set of freezer bags -- 4 boxes of of 38. That's a 152 bags.

I have one new bag a left..... and with the others I have washed, it might be another six months until I buy another set of bags.

At Safeway, a box of Ziploc Freezer gallon bags runs 5.39. I use ziplocs CONSTANTLY. I keep my brown sugars (light and dark) and my confectioner's sugar in them. With my lack of storage it's far easier to have a malleable shape for storage.

I bulk buy meats, wrap them in paper (freezer or waxed -- frozen bacon!!) and corral the frozen meats in freezer bags. This doubles the protection from freezer burn. I store hard cheeses in bags, I bake lots of cookies, freeze them in bags, long term storage of nuts (I chop nuts and store in sandwich bags in recipe ready amounts and corral them in freezer bags).....

Things I don't use bags for? Storing refrigerator meat, like lunch meat. Or marinating meat. I find it wasteful to use a good bag once, and toss. Grease and plastic bags are a very bad match. After marination, or storing greasy meats, you aren't getting all of that out of the bag. It HAS to be tossed. I use a glass bowl with a lid to marinate meat, and a whole lot of lunch meat is coming in it's own plastic storage container -- very washable.

I estimate I use 60+ bags a year. Using somewhat faulty math, I've saved 70 bucks over five years by washing bags.

I believe whole heartedly that you watch your pennies and your dollars will follow.

Now -- to wash a bag -- hot hot soapy water. Get in the bag with your washing tool (I use nylon net, just loose) and give it a good scrub out. Rinse well in hot water. Take a balloon whisk, insert in in the baggie, and knock it around, holding the edge of the bag. Shake that whisk like a maraca! This gets a lot of the water out of it and usually opens it up so it will stay open. Put the bag and the whisk in the silverware part of your dish drainer, so it stays upright to drain and dry. Store when it's dry completely.

If you have more than one bag -- use your long wooden spoons to drain the bags...

Old 01-29-2012, 12:19 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
When saving things means your house is messy. My Mom never throws anything out. She might "need" it again...that smacks of hoarding mentality.

I was asked out the other night to a symphony and dinner, and could not go, because I had nothing to wear. I wear scrubs for work, and jeans at home. I literally had nothing fancy to wear to go out to dinner and a symphony...maybe it is time to buy a few nice outfits.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:46 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,046,153 times
I'm waiting for yard sale season to buy clothes. I'm priced out of Goodwill.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:43 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Some good one liners here......but if you find yourself re-using condoms your would be the grand champion! Thankfully I never have been that frugal!

I will say some of my best lessons in life have been from spending money, usually lots of it.

A few of my best lessons:

A. Staying at the Delano hotel in South Beach for $1,000 a night (big convention week)
B. Buying a brand new Mercedes, putting 50k miles on it in 20 months and then couldn't get 50% of what I paid for it!
C. Vacation on the fly....zero planning...had a great time but paid at least double what it should have cost!

I can make more money, but being smarter the second time around is the lesson without feeling like you may have missed something!

Old 02-02-2012, 02:56 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
I'm waiting for yard sale season to buy clothes. I'm priced out of Goodwill.
Check your local thrift stores. Some (in my area one in particular) have dollar days when clothes are $1.00 a piece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living