Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 06:41 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,806 times

Advertisements

1. Pressure cooker - amazing how fast things cook, saves gas
2. Gas clothes dryer (when I bother to use it), normally hang out clothes
3. Black/grey septic system: all washer, bath, sink water is used for irrigation
4. unplug stuff I dont use much to eliminate "vampire" drain on electrical system/power strips
5. only use lighting when needed, no security lights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 07:53 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,996,842 times
Well, we could always be more like Europeans and not shower every day. I guess that falls into the category of lifestyle change though and not money saving device, except that you do save water that way.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:04 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Well, we could always be more like Europeans and not shower every day. I guess that falls into the category of lifestyle change though and not money saving device, except that you do save water that way.
If you wanted to stay clean and save water... there's always bucket bathing. It saves a lot of water compared to showering. Personally, I enjoy my showers though.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:15 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,996,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If you wanted to stay clean and save water... there's always bucket bathing. It saves a lot of water compared to showering. Personally, I enjoy my showers though.
Personally, I am "into" bidets myself. I don't know why that contraption has not caught on in the states. It certainly would help on the water bill.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:43 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Personally, I am "into" bidets myself. I don't know why that contraption has not caught on in the states. It certainly would help on the water bill.
I have bidets in our bathrooms (sans powder rooms), but don't use them. My home is french chateau styled, so that was part of the design.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:24 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1999 View Post

1. Installed a programmable thermostat.

4. Evaluated how much empty space I have in my refridgerator/freezer. I bought appropriately sized plastic containers, with lids, at my local dollar store.
If I had a programmable thermostat, it would always be programmed to "off". I live in the natural environmental temperature, as long as it is between 60 and 85 indoors. My thermostat hasn't been touched since February. Stoicism is a lot cheaper than energy.

Why not just save up empty plastic containers that you buy food in, like milk jugs and yogurt tubs? If they split in the freezer, throw them away. Perfect for leftovers,too. Plastic containers full of food cost about the same as empty ones at the dollar store.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:25 AM

468 posts, read 1,541,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
For those who use a clothesline, do your clothes smell weird when you bring them inside? I've tried using one, but I end up having to wash everything again when I bring it in because it smells bad.

Not that I've ever noticed. My clothes have a different scent to them when line dried as compared to using a static sheet in the dryer.

But, the clothes don't smell "bad". Just different.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:26 AM

468 posts, read 1,541,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why not just save up empty plastic containers that you buy food in, like milk jugs and yogurt tubs? If they split in the freezer, throw them away. Perfect for leftovers,too. Plastic containers full of food cost about the same as empty ones at the dollar store.

Of course that is always an option. My way isn't the only way.

But, I think you missed the point of using the plastic containers in order to hold water for the cooling effect. The containers aren't empty.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:50 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,807,624 times
Default Money Saving Devices

My greatest money saving devices are my two hands and a well-equipped toolbox.

Quick-fixes and gimmicky stuff always seems to cost more in the long run.

But if you can fix it right, and fix it yourself, you will come out on top!

Old 04-28-2011, 03:38 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1999 View Post
Not that I've ever noticed. My clothes have a different scent to them when line dried as compared to using a static sheet in the dryer.

But, the clothes don't smell "bad". Just different.
I know people who won't even wear clothes that smell like "nothing". If they don't smell like Downy, they're "dirty" and get dispatched back to the laundry room for aromatherapy treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living