Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 01:02 AM

7,539 posts, read 11,387,796 times

Advertisements

What types of devices have you come across that have helped you to save money on utility bills and on other things?

Here's a device I found out about called a fill cycle diverter. It's supposed to save you money on your water bill. Here's how it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bhu1...layer_embedded
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 01:10 AM

I've also installed a shower head with a cut off switch. I can cut off the shower water as I'am lathering up.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:16 AM

168 posts, read 308,373 times
the fill cycle diverter CAN save you money as long as the bowl still has enough water to carry solid waste away. once you take away too much water from the bowl youll start flushing 2-3 times for a good poop and all of your savings has just left.

i like my clothesline.

i also bought an attachment for my electric dryer that puts that hot humid air back into my dry house. i love that thing.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:26 AM

176 posts, read 584,587 times
Many electrical devices consume electricity all the time even though they are off (TVs, etc). What you can do is put them on power strips to stop this stealth electrical usage--when you shut off the power strip it shuts off the electrical usage completely.

I would suggest a Kill-a-Watt meter to measure how much electricity your electrical devices are using (you can get it at places like Amazon, etc). Some devices operate intermittently like refrigerators and this device measures electrical usage (KWH) over time. For example I estimated my refrigerator was costing $130 a year, so I replaced it with one using less than $50 worth of electricity a year.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:16 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,098,836 times
At my current water rates, I would have to save three gallons of water to save a penny. Or three gallons every day for three months to save a dollar.

The pipes from my water heater to my faucet hold a little more than a half a gallon, so every time I need to run hot water, it cost me abut 1/5c while waiting for the water to run hot. I try to use that to rinse things, while waiting for hot.

The cost of reheating that water is partly irrelevant, because if I had not run it, it would have cooled anyway and the thermostat would have maintained it at my default setting.

The overall cost of my water and electric, not counting seasonal heating and cooling, is about $2 a day. That includes monthly service charges, so my usage is probably more like $1.50 a day. Trying to adjust that by a fraction of a penny per occasion does not seem worth a great deal of effort.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-23-2011 at 08:27 AM..

Old 02-23-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccornewell View Post
the fill cycle diverter CAN save you money as long as the bowl still has enough water to carry solid waste away. once you take away too much water from the bowl youll start flushing 2-3 times for a good poop and all of your savings has just left.
What would you recommned as a better alternative? I've recently put a jug filled with water in my tank,is that better?

Old 02-23-2011, 11:45 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,784,338 times
My finger : Great for turning off light switches when not in room.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:51 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,503,180 times
I don't pay for utilities directly (my landlord charges a fixed amount every week) so I have little incentive to make serious investments in water or energy saving devices. However, I'm still very mindful of turning off lights or the heat and conserving water..

Old 02-23-2011, 12:46 PM

229 posts, read 574,193 times
For me I have found a vacuum food saver has saved me a lot as I can buy when things are on sale (especially meat & chicken) and freeze it for a much longer time. Usually by the time I have used all this up, there is another sale so it has been a win-win situation for me.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:25 PM

168 posts, read 308,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
What would you recommned as a better alternative? I've recently put a jug filled with water in my tank,is that better?
the splitter you showed isnt a bad idea as long as your toilet can support it. i wouldnt mind trying it out. just play with it and see what works. if you waste 5 flushes finding the right notch and then use it for 5 years, id think it paid for itself.

the jug does help, i try to stay with the septic tank rule. "if its yellow its mellow, if its brown flush it down". and if im getting ready to take a shower im not gonna pee in the toilet, the shower drain goes to the same place and urine helps prevent athletes foot. honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living