Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 05:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccornewell View Post
Mmmmmm, veggie pizza! i... this year we're getting a dehydrator
OK One of the best uses of Dehydrator is making 'fruit-leather'. Mix up some homemade applesauce, and pureed berries (those smashed in the bottom of the picking pail ). Spread on dryer trays about 3/16 inch thick over a plastic sheet (thick)., put PAM or Shortening on sheet so you can peel off the product, roll up on Saran Wrap or cheap equiv) to separate layers. Yum and Frugal. Older folks really this 'fruit leather' due to concentrated flavors. Peach, Strawberry, and Raspberry are my favs.

I used a Harvest Maid (Round stackable) dehydrator for many years, It was cheap and had great 'even' flow. (I used about 12 - 20 trays / cycle). Mostly fruit for me... cut prunes / plums in 1/2, then poke your thumb in the skin to turn them inside out for dryer, much faster. Dried Apples are a staple, try to find an apple corer / slicer that makes thicker cuts than the Taiwan versions. I found some antique ones that make about 1/4" thick slices, much better for labor and finished product.

Good ideas all

Just brought home a Pizza from local 'u-bake'. I go in just before closing and get the 'overstock' for 1/2 price. ($4 for a large) / ~ 8 servings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 05:59 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,117,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccornewell View Post
sorry, didnt post a recipe. go out to your garden and get a bunch of green beans, grab an ear of corn, a carrot or 2, some wild onions, broccoli, clean out your freezer and throw it in (the frozen stuff, not your freezer), etc. throw all of this in the crock pot with 2 cans of cream of whatever-you-like soup, water, stock or milk, and season to taste. and since i dont use a cook book its never missing an ingredient! cream of veggie soup rocks!
Totally agree. Here's a nice soup primer, for those who may not be so confindent in the kitchen:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/06/magazine/06eat-t.html

Old 03-06-2011, 02:53 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,523,507 times
Nice to see this thread isn't filled with hamburger helper, etc.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:28 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,055,772 times
The taco soup mentioned earlier is very similiar to a recipe for bean chili our family eats regularly.

Starting with dried beans and using homemade broth makes it extremely cost-effective. I include ground turkey, but it's just as good without it.

Saute onion and turkey in a large soup pot. Add cooked garbanzo, kidney, and black beans. Pour in a can of tomatoes (pureed, diced, leftover salsa...whatever you have handy) and broth to your desired consistency. Season to taste. Even better the second day.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:09 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
2 eggs scrambled into 6-8 ounces of pork fat.....about 80 cents and extremely yummy.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:38 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,967,084 times
STRATA! It's basically milk, eggs, cheese and bread. These are all cheap staples. I got some large loaves of bread for 89 cents each at the supermarket the other day...it was generic brand bread that was about to expire (hence the 89 cents). I got 3 loaves and stuck them in the freezer. Not only can I use this bread for strata, I'll use it for breakfast toast and sandwiches.

I won't post a recipe because strata is like pizza---there are all different kinds and everyone has their favorite. You can use all different kinds of cheeses, and add in all different kinds of meat, vegetables and herbs.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:25 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Johnny cakes for two. Used one box of Aldi cornbread mix (0.35), one egg (0.08), 1/3 cup of milk. Homemade maple syrup.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:44 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,287,348 times
I made a nice chicken &dumpling soup tonight, and turns out it was pretty cheap!

Got whole chickens on sale for $.49/lb, cooked one all day in the crockpot. I diced the meat from 1-1/2 breasts for the soup. The rest of the meat will be made into chicken salad tomorrow.

For the soup:
2 t olive oil
1 large rough chopped onion ~$.25
2 carrots ~$.10
2 cloves garlic, chopped ~$..04
6 oz quartered button mushrooms ~$1.25
4 c water
Strained liquid from crockpot
Powdered bouillon to taste
Pepper to taste
Cubed chicken ~$1.00

Heat olive oil in nonstick stockpot or large saucepan. Add onion, carrots, garlic, and mushrooms. Saute until onions are translucent. Add water, liquid from crockpot, and bouillon. Simmer until carrots are cooked. Add chicken and dumplings. Simmer 10-15 minutes, or until dumplings are done.

Dumplings:
1 egg ~$.10
1 T softened butter
.5 tsp salt
1 c flour
Milk or water to get proper consistency

Beat egg, add butter. In separate bowl, place flour and salt. Pour in egg & butter, mix. Add milk as needed to make stiff dough. Knead until smooth, then roll out to 1/4" thick and cut into desired size pieces.

I figure this recipe cost me about $3.00 total, including the staples I had on hand. DH and I ate two bowls each for dinner, and we have another meal or two left in the pot. Bonus - it was delicious!

Old 03-13-2011, 01:58 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,510 times
I still think chicken/veggie soup is the way to go. A giant pot with a whole bird is easily changed into a future chicken pie or chicken and a biscuit after you just thicken the sauce. On top, you get plenty of dog scraps from the fat, skin, etc.... For $15 bucks I can feed 4-5 people 3 filling meals plus not buy any can dog food for the week.

Flip side, when thighs are on sale I boil them all and can get 7 days of "dog stew" for $2. Do yu see what can dog food costs???? Espescially for a 168# dog. And yes, someone always pulls off some broth to toss any leftover veggies in for a soup.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:07 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
Potatoes, you can buy a bag for $3.00. This will last for two weeks, making home fries, hash browns, adding to soup, making mashed potatoes, baked potatoes...the list is endless. Why buy fries for $2.00, when you can make them at home? Save the oil, it lasts several batches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living