Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 10:00 AM

483 posts, read 419,902 times

Advertisements

Chicken curry cost $4

Chicken thigh manager sale at @0.59 a lb.
4 thighs at about $1.50 - $2
10 lb potato for $3.99 (1 lb @ 39cents)
Carrots 2 lb for 99cents (use maybe 20 cents?)
Onions @ another 20cents
Curry powder, oil, water (my water is free), misc.. give 50cents. Another 50 cents +/- for rice.

A wholesome meat dish ard $1 per person.. big huge servings with overnite leftovers to use as ramen noodle sauces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 10:10 AM

$4 pasta

Weis brand pasta (occasionally other brands) on sale at 88cents (I would buy more during winter like 20packs to stock).
Jar of pasta sauce or canned ones at $1 (sale) - $1.50
Score sausage packs at $1.89 per lb (Weis too)
(Use 8 oz if you want to add in peppers or other veg)
So $1 for sausages, 69 cents for one green bell pepper (Walmart)

Another wholesome one pot type meals.
Abt $1 per person and usually have leftovers for next day (family of 4, 2 adult n 2 kids)

Old 10-20-2016, 10:21 AM

Pork meals $4

I can get buy 1 get 2 free pork roasts from Weis paying $2.19 a lb for the first roast. Divide that by 3.. it's ard $0.78 cents a lb.
Average roasts are 4 to 5 lbs.

I make daikon, carrot stew with it to eat with rice for ard $4, $1 per person. Add soysauce, sesame oil, ginger, garlic. Daikon is ard $0.79 a lb. Carrots 2 lb for $0.99 (Aldi's or my local Spanish/asian Mart)

Then there are Chinese soups..
Pork roasts (my lazy method... just cut cube type slots into the whole roasts.. to ease the meat cook time n it will fall off after tender).
Add Carrots, onions, tomatoes and a corn cob with a thumb of ginger, salt to taste.

Serve with rice.
Yummy!!!

Old 11-07-2016, 11:19 AM

44 posts, read 25,186 times
For breakfast I eat 2 scrambled eggs 2 pieces of bacon inside buttered toast and a glass of oj. With grits and grapes on the side. Pretty cheap. Probably around a dollar a serving.

Lunch at work I eat lunch meat sandwiches, probably around $2 a serving.

For dinner I eat either a whole totinos pizza ($2) or 2 cans of Campbell's chunky soup ($3)

So I spend between $5 to $7 dollars a day on food.

I would like to spend less. I'm looking into cheap chillis and stews now I can stretch.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:33 PM

3,975 posts, read 4,281,045 times
This time of year, the supermarkets have Progresso Soup on sale, often for $1 a can. I had coupons for 50 cents off 2 cans. My supermarket doubled the coupons, so I paid 50 cents a can today. A can of Pasta & Bean "vegetable classics" soup and some toast, and hubby and I have a nice meal.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:17 AM

32,984 posts, read 36,499,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
This time of year, the supermarkets have Progresso Soup on sale, often for $1 a can. I had coupons for 50 cents off 2 cans. My supermarket doubled the coupons, so I paid 50 cents a can today. A can of Pasta & Bean "vegetable classics" soup and some toast, and hubby and I have a nice meal.
They can be quite cheap when you're paying attention. Do you add stuff when you open them? I always do.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:35 AM

23,623 posts, read 24,171,106 times
I'll do canned black beans and brown rice for lunch, on occasion. Or, instant ramen (1/8th to 1/4th of the seasoning packet to keep the sodium down), with a couple pf eggs, a slice of deli turkey and instant vegetables.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:33 PM

3,975 posts, read 4,281,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
They can be quite cheap when you're paying attention. Do you add stuff when you open them? I always do.
What kinds of stuff do you add to them? Occasionally I add some frozen vegetables. And sometimes I add nutritional yeast, which I love.

The regular price per can is $2.99 around here. No, thank you. I'll wait until those fall/winter sales and stock up for the entire year.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:13 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,876,514 times
Its november, and our collard greens still going strong-- I take $1.09/lb pork neck bones (pretty meaty) from the local asian market and load em up with collard greens in the crockpot (also zucchini in the summer) stew that and we have braised pork, broth and slow cooked southern style greens for days, over brown rice or over potatoes and carrots and onion
(we share the greens with our dogs- one is supposed to be on a diet to lose weight, so I don't usually spice the crockpot or add onions and garlic)-
bone broth is all the rage these days, and we get that in spades this way....

I haven't crunched the numbers on that, but thats a pretty cheap source of meals...

Old 11-17-2016, 06:16 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,388,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
Its november, and our collard greens still going strong-- I take $1.09/lb pork neck bones (pretty meaty) from the local asian market and load em up with collard greens in the crockpot (also zucchini in the summer) stew that and we have braised pork, broth and slow cooked southern style greens for days, over brown rice or over potatoes and carrots and onion
(we share the greens with our dogs- one is supposed to be on a diet to lose weight, so I don't usually spice the crockpot or add onions and garlic)-
bone broth is all the rage these days, and we get that in spades this way....

I haven't crunched the numbers on that, but thats a pretty cheap source of meals...

This sounds really good to me but I have never cooked collards. I get them at some restaurants and love them. Are the pork neck bones frozen or fresh? Do you have to chop and wash the collard greens first? What else do you put in the crockpot -- any seasonings or onions, etc? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living