Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 06:33 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,874,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyBear View Post
This sounds really good to me but I have never cooked collards. I get them at some restaurants and love them. Are the pork neck bones frozen or fresh? Do you have to chop and wash the collard greens first? What else do you put in the crockpot -- any seasonings or onions, etc? Thanks!
the pork neck bones are fresh- but go and see what ever is cheapest at your butcher- I will even take what ever meat is marked down at the local grocer (like 50% off cheap pork shoulder or chops) whatever bony meat you have on hand to make the broth and flavor the greens-

I have always loved dark leafy greens and collards are good because they are a sturdy green that takes to long slow cooking and absorbs the flavors of the meat well-
for a more complete meal feel free to add sweet potatoes, turnips, carrots, potatoes,
you can add either water or broth, it doesn't really need broth though as you are making your own....

if I wasn't sharing with my dogs (its really high quality food and cheaper than good quality dog food these days which is crazy prices are so high) I would add onion salt pepper and little garlic if you want, I also add worchester sauce and have been known to add a generous pour of BBQ sauce if its pork shoulder - gives a nice flavor...

just season to taste really (its hard to mess it up)- I do stir the crockpot about 3 hours in, to make sure the collards are nice and moist...
(yes I do rinse the collards, mine are home grown and they need it, I tear them up or smaller leaves I don't bother, its mainly just to squeeze as much as I can into the crockpot,as they do melt into the fluid...)

good luck and have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 07:23 PM

3,975 posts, read 4,273,500 times
Anyone have any ideas for adding things to Rice-A-Roni or Zatarain rice mixes? I already add frozen vegetables and cut-up vegetarian "meat". Anything else you have added to bulk them up to a heartier meal?

Old 11-20-2016, 07:43 AM

3,975 posts, read 4,273,500 times
In another non-cooking thread, someone asked me to post my recipe for refrigerator sweet pickles. Rather than get the thread off-topic, I thought I would post it here.

2 cups thinly sliced cucumbers (1/4-inch thick)
1/2 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
2 cups cider vinegar
1 and 3/4 cups sugar (see Notes below)

1 teaspoon Celery Seed
1 teaspoon Mustard Seed

1 teaspoon non-iodized salt

Place cucumber slices and onions in a large glass jar. I use a large (quart) wide-mouth canning jar, but a cleaned-up pickle jar or any other large jar with a lid will do fine.

Mix remaining ingredients in medium saucepan. Bring to boil on medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar and salt. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes.

Ladle or pour hot liquid and spices over cucumbers and onions, to within a half-inch of the top of the jar. Cool slightly. Cover.

When jar is cool enough to handle, refrigerate pickles. You can serve them within hours, but they taste best if you wait 6-7 days, or until the veggies start to fall to the bottom of the jar. Store in tightly covered container in refrigerator up to 2 months.

Notes:

1. I like to use those tiny cucumbers that don't have a tough peel/rind. But they can be expensive, so I wait until they are on sale or I use other types of cukes.
2. Recipe works well for other veggies, such as carrots and celery. Slicing them thin is the key to having them ready quickly.
3. The recipe above makes a more tangy mixture. If you want them sweeter, increase the amount of sugar to 2 cups and leave the vinegar at 2 cups.
4. Celery seed and mustard seed add a nice taste to the pickles, but if you don't have one or both of them and still want to make a quick bunch of pickles, the sweet "brine" itself is fine.
5. When the pickles and onions are gone, I reuse the brine at least one more time. I chop up some veggies, put them back in the refrigerator and wait a week.
6. Because these pickles are not made via a canning method (water bath, etc.), they should always be kept in the refrigerator; i.e., don't put them on a shelf in the closet.
7. You will probably have brine left over, because the veggies will take up significant room in the jar. I always keep another smaller jar handy so I can either store the brine or cut up some more veggies and put them in the small jar. Alternatively, experiment with the recipe and use less vinegar and sugar, keeping the proportions the same.

Enjoy.

Old 11-20-2016, 05:51 PM

22,673 posts, read 24,647,023 times
Top-ramen...................YHGTBFKM, spend a little more and don't eat pure cr@p!

Old 11-20-2016, 05:56 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,874,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Anyone have any ideas for adding things to Rice-A-Roni or Zatarain rice mixes? I already add frozen vegetables and cut-up vegetarian "meat". Anything else you have added to bulk them up to a heartier meal?
eggs are a nutritional powerhouse, and add to the flavor...

Old 11-20-2016, 10:35 PM

32,965 posts, read 36,449,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Definitely beans.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:07 AM

687 posts, read 617,737 times
Not $1 per serving, but whenever bone-in pork chops go on sale (say $3/lb) I take 4 chops in a baking dish, top them with sliced onion, sliced lemon, and a tablespoon each of ketchup and brown sugar per chop. Bake in the oven at 425F, 15 minutes covered and 15 minutes uncovered while basting. Served with roasted root vegetables. Easy and tasty and cheap at the right time of year. I would guess $2 per serving.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:40 AM

4,854 posts, read 3,656,418 times
I did pretty well this weekend with Costco (you know me I do NOT cook) roasted chicken. Cut the breast meat off, put the rest in crock pot with water and spices. Let it stew for six hours, took out all the meat & bones, strained the stock. Used 1/2 package Mary B's dumplings (frozen/Wal-Mart) which thickened the stock as the dumplings cooked. Returned the meat to the mix. Cooked it all together on low for another hour.

Wow - talk about good! Made a huge pot!

Chicken $5
Dumplins $1.50 (used 1/2 pack)

6.50 made at least six meals for two people.

I use the breast meat for separate meals - it is not added to the dumplings mix.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:18 AM

14,512 posts, read 20,708,558 times
I can get you breakfast for under $1 for 20 days.

Van's blueberry waffles > sale > coupons > 10 boxes > 6 per box > 3 per day for 20 days
Orange Juice > store brand half gallon = 180 ounces = 9 ounce glass per day
20 bananas = 1 per day
Store brand maple syrup.

$2.50 + $6.00 + $5.00 + $2.50 = $16 = 80 cents a day.

Day 21 and forward = similar plan or new plan.
Oatmeal and cereal are super cheap, bananas run around 25 cents each.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:40 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,576,435 times
One of our fav meals is what we call ''tater toppins''. Cheap, filling, and endless combinations of stuff to put on top.
Here it is: bake a potato, slice open and add butter, sour cream, grated cheese if you like. Then from the grocery salad bar I have gathered up some raw peas, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower pieces, shredded carrots, sliced raw mushrooms, a bit of sliced celery stalk. Dump this on top of the hot potato concoction and then we put a bit of ranch dressing on the veggie topping.
The contrast of the hot and cold is fabulous!
One of our fav quick cheap meals.
Now here is one of our ''Great Recession'' meals and honestly I can no longer stand to eat it, but for a long time it was a staple at home: warm a can of Sweet Sue chicken and dumplings in a pot and stir in a can of golden or white corn. Serve it up, Mama! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living