Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 12:35 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,499,149 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of ways to east cheap and also healthy. Here are some examples:

Breakfast-
Oatmeal with a little milk and fruit. Buy fruit on sale or buy large cans. I use powdered milk because I can make a small amount, it doesn't go bad, and for me it is cheaper.

Toast with peanut butter and jelly and fruit.

Cereal with fruit. If you but it on sale or buy generic "and" measure a real portion size it isn't that expensive.

Pancakes

Lunches and Dinners
Sandwich like tuna and homemade veggie soup. I make a veggie soup that I have a cup of everyday with a small sandwich. I make a big pot with cabbage, carrots, celery, diced tomatoes, rice, beans and chicken bouillon cubes. I freeze in smaller portions because I make a lot.

Peanut butter and jelly is a great cheaper lasting staple.

Grilled cheese.

In the summer I love having a big tomato sandwich.

Burritos and tacos using beans or lentils

Pasta with tomato sauce whether it is canned tomatoes or sauce. Whatever is on sale.

Rice and Beans.

Roast a whole chicken when it goes on sale. Buy extra and freeze. You can get 4-7 meals from one small bird. Then make soup from the frame.

Have pancakes once a week.

Have eggs for dinner.

Chili.

Bean burritos.

Homemade pizza.

Hot dogs and beans

Lentil Tacos
Mike and Lisa's World: Lentil Tacos or Burritos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 08:18 PM

560 posts, read 603,887 times
A gourmet burguer I made at home...

The buns were from the discount aisle, due to not being fresh they are always 50% off. 1.50 dollars for 8 buns.

Since i usually use them for burguers or sandwiches i always heat them up anyways, so there is no need to be super fresh.

The potatos i got at aldis for like 10 lbs for 1.99 dollars.

The meat I believe its London Broil. I grinded it myself and it makes a terrific burguer in terms of taste and quality! I paid 3.99/lb for the broil. This is probably a 1/4 lb or less burguer.

Old 12-30-2016, 05:13 PM

7,627 posts, read 6,147,282 times
I appreciate the great input from you good people. I have a number of clients/patients and their families who are very poor, some indigent, and they could certainly benefit from how to eat healthy on a dollar or less per serving. The only catch is we seem to have runs of people with diabetes (so no sugar) or heart Disease (so not salt/processed foods)
A Challenge yes, but worth it to save and enrich a life.

Old 12-31-2016, 12:31 PM

560 posts, read 603,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I appreciate the great input from you good people. I have a number of clients/patients and their families who are very poor, some indigent, and they could certainly benefit from how to eat healthy on a dollar or less per serving. The only catch is we seem to have runs of people with diabetes (so no sugar) or heart Disease (so not salt/processed foods)
A Challenge yes, but worth it to save and enrich a life.
Concentrate on whole foods and the sugar and salt should be no issue!

Processed foods is also a no go which also helps the wallet since it is my opinion that processed foods are utterly expensive. All that pre packaged crap is so expensive.

Look at poptarts alone, they have zero good nutrition value. They cost 9 dollars a box and barely will make you feel full.

For 10 dollars I can buy almost 7lbs of chicken breasts ... or pork ... i can buy 20-25 lbs of rice alone!! Or 50 lbs of potatoes !!!

I can buy 20 lbs of pasta for 10 dollars!

Also for making pasta... usually people just buy the pasta itself and then they buy the canned sauce ready to go... that usually cost 4 dollars itself when its just tomato sauce and a few cloves of garlic and onion.

You can do the same for less than 1 dollar (1 lb can of minced tomatoes usually 75 cents or so... 1 onion garlic should be almost negligible).

Here at home, my wife and I we spend about 200-230 dollars a month for both of us on groceries - and this includes toilet paper and other staples that are needed in a household. We do not skimp on food. We usually eat Ribeyes, Salmon, Cod, Pork, Chicken on a daily basis.

Old 12-31-2016, 03:27 PM

26,667 posts, read 28,904,705 times
I have an economical, simple slow cooker recipe. It's vegetarian and you can either make it from scratch or assemble it from cans and a box or any combination.

It takes carrots, corn, onions, diced tomato, kidney beans, black beans, chicken broth and you put cornmeal dumplings on the top.

You saute the carrots and onions, add frozen corn. Use canned beans or cook them first, real tomato or from a can. Put it all into the slow cooker and add broth, either homemade or from a can or a cube.

Cook several hours. One half hour before, you put dumpling mix on top. I cheat and use one box of Jiffy Mix cornbread mix but you can also use flour, cornmeal, egg, milk, oil to make your own dumplings. Anyway, you plop 6 hills of mixture on top and put the cover back onto the slow cooker. Do not open the cover for 1/2 hour. This makes a hearty soup or, without as much liquid, a really great, tasty stew with yummy dumplings on top.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:30 PM

132,008 posts, read 12,364,507 times
I make a crockpot dish of ground beef & cabbage. I use about one pound of ground beef but we get about 6 meals from it ( dinners for 2 of us, twice & one lunch) Add the beef to the crockpot, on top of about a half a head of chopped cabbage, & an onion. Then pour over some tomato sauce, you can use whatever you have, I get jars from the dollar tree ( pasta sauce ) or even salsa ( also dollar tree ) Even tomato soup. It can cook all day, serve with rice, cooked separately.

Cost $3 for the beef, maybe ,50 cents for half a head of cabbage & an onion, & $1 for the tomato sauce. Maybe .25 for rice So 4.75 for 6 meals. You can add seasonings if you want but it is quite nice without them too.

I buy ground beef when it is on sale & then bag it into one pound ziplocks for future use.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:29 PM

132,008 posts, read 12,364,507 times
Lentil lovers here is a variation on lentil soup. Cook your lentil, onion & carrots in the normal way, but for seasoning add 2 spoons of cumin & 2 spoons of mint. when serving, top with some plain yogurt or sour cream. Turkish lentil soup.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:57 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,851,918 times
Peanut butter and jelly with Apple cuts. It's nice with a glass of milk. No cooking, no cleaning, save money.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:39 AM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,160,081 times
Here's my contribution:

Basic Recipe - boil potatoes and carrots together, then mash together. Bake until heated through. (I still bake it, even if I'm not adding anything else to it - it dries it out some and you get that crusty layer on top)

The potatoes and carrots are grown here - so I never did the math for figuring out the price of seed vs production - but looking at the other prices listed here - you are well below the $1 limit.

Now comes the fun part - clean out your frig, and dump whatever sounds good into the mix (you can call that free if you charged that to another meal, and it's just those annoying leftovers) Or you can just grab a handful of frozen veggies (at $.99 a bag- 4 to 6 servings, you are still under $.25) And you can set aside a piece off any meat (or a couple of slices of bacon) you are serving to cube and toss in it. A couple of Tablespoons of cheese - either in it, or on top.

I like this because it's different each time, and I have a clean frig

Old 01-07-2017, 05:46 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,245,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I will take an opportunity to list a few of my frugal morsels, please add your own so we can share bargain recipes.

I often use 100g (1/4#) for serving size, as it is a diabetic std of measure. I usually feed 2 on less than $100 / month.

Some benchmark pricing, just in case things go up .... ($ per Lb)
I buy stuff on sale - but these are current available prices locally
Bob's Steel Cut Oatmeal $.68
Cheese $1.50
Carrots $.50
Lettuce $1.00 (head)
Cabbage $.39
Other Veggies $.69
Fruit $.59 (apples / oranges / bananas / Pineapple)
Pears $.29 (up from $.19 )
Costco Rotisserie Chicken $4.99 (3# minimum, I get ~ 20 servings / including soups)
Milk $2/ gal
Eggs $.99 / doz

Econo meals:
Oatmeal $.07 or $.10 w/ raisins
Top Ramen w/ mixed veggies $.30
Mixed Salad
(Cabbage, lettuce, peppers, Carrot, Cucumbers) $.26

Chicken Burrito (my staple) $.65
Sandwiches:
Cracker, Chicken, lettuce and Cheese $.54 for 6
BLT $.45

Eggs:
2 egg, cheese, and bacon Omelet $.67
great but some of what you are listing isn't even healthy. I want to eat well, cheaply and make sure most of what i eat is healthy.

my healthy meal and cheap; I buy chicken quarters for .49 lb.
buy produce only on sale or marked down;
we shop a lot at Aldi's or Sam's; yes, the chickens are a great buy and have lots of flavor, but 20 servings meals, don't think so. . Ramen noodle are awesome and fun, but not healthy in anyway, even when mixed with veggies: canned veggies and fruits are not particularly healthy either. But we all have our own ideas on how to eat and save.

for us: a chicken quarter is enough for 2 people: so that is roughly .50
small green salad, similar to what you are saying about .50
a potato for 2 of us: .20
depending on time of year a piece of fruit or green veggie: .50
total for 2 people $1.70 but we are not including the costs of seasonings and condiments and this is a once a week meal at the most. I love making split pea soup and it is super cheap, but not every night.
all in all, thanks for posting; it is interesting, fun and certainly a learning experience seeing how others cook frugally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living