Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 11:36 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times

Advertisements

Cat food. My cat only eats the best, along with sharing my dinner. For high quality dog food suggestions, post your question in the dogs forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 08:12 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
By this I mean, even though more expensive, what items will you buy that you simply insist on? I'll start. Things I won't skimp on:

1. Clinique moisturizer
2. Cigarettes I smoke
3. Type of chili sauce I use
4. I insist on decent tomatoes as in vine riped (but only buy when on sale)
5. Certain brand of coffee (but store brand)
6. Real half and half
7. Real jewelry (until I started buying costume and vintage) and when I earned a good living, as in diamonds instead of zirconia, 14K gold, etc.
8. Air card instead of cable internet

Things I can't resist

1. Asian dishes and most things Asian
2. Good quality white dishes
3. Lean Cuisines or diet dinners when on sale
4. Shopping at Goodwill on Thursday dollar days (although I've gotten much better about not having to go as often).
Won't skimp on:
1. dog food or parrot food - if they like it, I keep buying it. Fortunately, their choices aren't the most expensive ones.
2. real butter. Margarine of any kind just won't do it for me.
3. a DSL jacked up home connection. I've had cheaper and they weren't better.

Can't resist:
1. really good chocolate once in a great while.
2. some things I use a lot of when they are on sale at a great price.

Everything else is negotiable, one way or another.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:44 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,465 times
Shoes, I've got really narrow feet with a quad A heel a really high instep and arches and I can't wear most shoes and I've had foot surgery for plantar fasciitis. Mine have to have a strap or lace up in order for them to even come close to fitting and no heels. I mostly wear Nike narrow sneakers that I order online. Going cheap is not even an option.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:58 PM

600 posts, read 1,608,958 times
Traveling. Can't live without that.

My cat gets the best food available at stores.

I don't buy makeup at drug stores anymore (except maybe lip gloss) - I don't know how many times I bought something just to realize that it's the wrong shade. What a waste! I'd rather pay more and get a great quality. Drug store mascara is the WORST!

Sushi. I HAVE to have sushi at least once a week, usually 2, 3 or 4 times

Fresh vegetables. Never canned or frozen.

Good wine. Not a $ 30/bottle wine, but a nice $ 7.99 that tastes and smells delicious

Old 03-23-2011, 11:58 AM

469 posts, read 1,174,926 times
Mayonaise. I bought store brand once and it was disgusting. Helmans for life

Old 03-23-2011, 01:27 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,294,313 times
Pillows for sleeping, shoes/boots, Jif peanut butter, Hunt's ketchup, meat from the butcher.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:36 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,996,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Pillows for sleeping, shoes/boots, Jif peanut butter, Hunt's ketchup, meat from the butcher.
Oh, I forgot pillows too. They must be down and not too firm. Also, like to sleep with down comforters as well.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:30 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,476,279 times
1) Health Insurance. I can't live without it. Literally. If I get sick, I'm dead cause I won't have the money to pay.

2) Internet Access. Without this, I can't keep in touch with the world. Not to mention I won't know of any frugal deals. It *EASILY* pays for itself in this way.

3) My own room. I won't pay less to rent to share a room with someone else.. I need my own room at least.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:06 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,154,604 times
Oh I forgot...dog and cat food, definitely.
I mostly feed raw, but when I buy commercial pet food, I can't bring myself to buy the Chinese-gluten-laden stuff.

Oh, and high thread-count cotton sheets (or nice thick flannel ones for winter.) As with a lot of things, buying high quality may be cheaper in the long run...they'll last for years and years if you take care of them.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:03 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,873,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
A lot of people have mentioned good quality dog food. Ok, I am guilty of buying whatever is on sale (i.e. Kibbles and Bits). Do you really think that the higher end dog foods add length to my pets life span?

My last little dog died at only 8. I spent a fortune on Vet bills. However, he had a heart condition so I didn't neuter him (anesthesia and heart condition) so I think this was the cause.

If it's that important, I will start only buying good dog food. What brands do you recommend?
I really do think the quality of the pet food contributes to the health and life span of the pet. I feed my babies the appropriate science diet formula for their ages but I'm looking forward to reading the responses about other brands that may be even better. One thing about the good pet food is that my babies don't seem to eat as much as they did when I gave them the Purina pet chow stuff. I was told that is true because there are more "fillers" and less protein in the cheaper stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living