Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 07:13 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,873,758 times

Advertisements

I don't skimp on food/vet care for my 4 legged babies
I invest in my personal care - dental visits, regular check-ups etc..
Good cosmetics - I use them sparingly but taking care of yourself inside and out adds greatly to overall quality of life
Exceptional quality used cars - I buy an excellent used car (2 years old) and drive it until the reliable life has been used. This has been one of the best frugal philosophies for me. I get something I enjoy at a depreciated price that is reliable and solid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 07:47 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,295,535 times
Just found a great site for perfume samples. Go to perfume-worldwide.com. High-end samples at $2.99 each. You can order up to ten at one time. I prefer samples that I can use before they get old, and also this way I have a variety. They are one ounce each. I cannot justify $40 - $70 or more for one little bottle. You can pay with a credit card or Paypal.

Last edited by sirron; 03-24-2011 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: original link did not work

Old 03-24-2011, 08:03 AM

758 posts, read 1,639,691 times
I can't skimp on pet food because my one cat has to eat 'prescription food.'

I still smoke cigarettes (splurge), but I've switch to a cheaper brand (skimp)

I'm not the steakaholic my husband is, so when I buy steak for myself, it is GOOD steak.

I like to use Lancome products, but I work it into sales, samples or internet rebate sites to offset some of the cost.

Everything else, I usually switch back and forth between splurge and skimp.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:53 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
I can't skimp on pet food because my one cat has to eat 'prescription food.'

I still smoke cigarettes (splurge), but I've switch to a cheaper brand (skimp)

I'm not the steakaholic my husband is, so when I buy steak for myself, it is GOOD steak.

I like to use Lancome products, but I work it into sales, samples or internet rebate sites to offset some of the cost.

Everything else, I usually switch back and forth between splurge and skimp.
Someone mentioned to me yesterday that there are a lot of coupons on the Internet and that there is a whole subculture around it. I don't envision myself doing that, but thought it was interesting.

As far as your Lancome, my thing is Clinique. Somewhat like you, I try to buy only when it's Clinique bonus days (I'm sure you know about those but not sure whether Lancome does something similar).

Old 03-24-2011, 09:04 AM

And one more thing I can't do without and I insist one would be cheap pharmaceuticals (generics) when I can get them.

I speak of finding a Dr. who will write a script for a Canadian pharmacy (totally legal for everyone involved). Now, during the Bush years this was somewhat of a problem. Now it's no longer a problem.

I saved $2400 for a six month supply of a drug that I think cost me around $80 generic for a six month supply. So I get three drugs from a Canadian pharmacy and save so much money it's ridiculous. They tell us there are no generics for certain drugs in this country, but I have two different Drs. who've written for the generics from this one Canadian pharmacy. Never had a problem and do just as well.

So while this isn't at "what I won't skimp at" or "what I can't resist," it really is a real need and I insist on paying for only what I really need to get the drugs I really need. Just thought I'd pass this tip along.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:09 AM

758 posts, read 1,639,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Someone mentioned to me yesterday that there are a lot of coupons on the Internet and that there is a whole subculture around it. I don't envision myself doing that, but thought it was interesting.

As far as your Lancome, my thing is Clinique. Somewhat like you, I try to buy only when it's Clinique bonus days (I'm sure you know about those but not sure whether Lancome does something similar).

I think Lancome does bonus days, but I have to admit I do a lot of my lancome shopping online. They always offer free samples, and they often have some deal with spend X$ get this gift set. And the dollar amount required is never a big deal. Often it is the price of a foundation or eyeshadow set. Combining that with internet rebates (I use a bunch of shopping sites, but mypoints.com is the best for lancome. They change the system around from time to time, but it is often the equivalent of get $20 back on a $75 purchase)....yeah, online is usually what gets my business for lancome. Though I have gone to a department store when they do the gift set offer, especially if I happen to have a sale or coupon for that department store.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:32 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,322,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
I really do think the quality of the pet food contributes to the health and life span of the pet. I feed my babies the appropriate science diet formula for their ages but I'm looking forward to reading the responses about other brands that may be even better. One thing about the good pet food is that my babies don't seem to eat as much as they did when I gave them the Purina pet chow stuff. I was told that is true because there are more "fillers" and less protein in the cheaper stuff.
Read the fine print on your pet food labels (not you, necessarily, but anyone who is concerned about it). The amount of protein is always listed by percentage. The problem isn't so much the fillers - though corn is not good - it's the source of the protein. Find out what raw ingredients are used to make it, and find out what is meant by 'meat by-products.' It's an eye opener. You might even find it more cost-effective to make your own.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:52 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Food. I will always buy the best food that I can possibly afford, which for me means grass fed, organic, no antibiotics and no hormones meat products and organic fruit and veggies.

Cat care.

Maintaining my vehicle.

Having a decent computer (although you can buy good ones very inexpensively used or at pawn shops).

One pair of decent every-day shoes.

A good mattress.

Enough heat in the winter - and cool in the summer to be comfortable.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-26-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Food. I will always buy the best food that I can possibly afford, which for me means grass fed, organic, no antibiotics and no hormones meat products and organic fruit and veggies.

Cat care.

Maintaining my vehicle.

Having a decent computer (although you can buy good ones very inexpensively used or at pawn shops).

One pair of decent every-day shoes.

A good mattress.

Enough heat in the winter - and cool in the summer to be comfortable.

20yrsinBranson
Yet more "musts" I had not thought of and you've reminded me of things I need to do. Here it is, at 74 degrees where I live, and I'm sitting in a long sleeved turtleneck sweater with a wool jacket over that. I am gearing up for another LONG AND HOT summer where I live.

But you're right, heat and coolness are musts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living