Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 07:44 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,527,514 times

Advertisements

Went to a Chicago PD Auction yesterday. Interesting experience and some good deals. Thing I didn't like was it was near 26th and California near Cook County Jail which is a pretty bad area and it was a cash only auction so had to bring a pocket full of cash.

Turned out to be pretty nice though, was at a school, had their own parking lot fenced off.

Had 2 hours for viewing and then the auction. Tons of bikes probably about 80 bikes, some really nice expensive ones like Trek, Cannondale, Gary Fisher or whatever that Mtn bike dudes name is. I saw a gary fisher go for $180.

Lots of jewelery, electronics, wii, xbox connect, ipods iphones, etc. I was surprised how much was still new in boxes. Lots of campingand fishing equip again lots new in boxes still, new sets of skis and other sporting equip. Lots of tools, some bigger machine tools like concrete scuffers and things like that.

I wound up picking up a home theatre projector for $200, still factory sealed with all cords, remode and carry case. I should do pretty good with that. Gonna keep it for a few weeks and play some xbox and then sell it and take my profit. Also bought a few computer monitors for $30. I would have liked to buy some jewelry but I didnt get a chance to inspect it before the auction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 10:30 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times
We've been to the police bike auction- amazing number of bikes.

If the items were hot to begin with, could there be a potential problem with re-sale?

Old 04-03-2011, 10:56 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,325,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post

If the items were hot to begin with, could there be a potential problem with re-sale?
I know of at least one instance where impounded vehicles were sold, and one of them was a brand new pick up with every possible embellishment. The trouble was that too many people knew who it had belonged to (a major local drug dealer), and didn't want to take a chance on some 'revenge' heading their way. The one who finally bought it paid a couple hundred for it, and immediately had it repainted.

There's also at least one reputable online auction site for impounded things. There are some great deals, but they are all as-is, with the exceptions of some online stores which are allowed on the site as well. I've gotten a few things which have worked out very well from it.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:58 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
Something about this doesn't seem quite right to me. Were efforts made to return these items to their owners?

Old 04-03-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Something about this doesn't seem quite right to me. Were efforts made to return these items to their owners?
This is stuff that can't be returned. Say some booster by the way a booster is basically someone who steals for a living and resells stuff or gets shpping lists from people and steals

Anyhow some booster gets caught or pulled over with a car full of stolen goods. The cops try to figure out where everything came from but can't always do it. Also the person caught probably isnt going to talk and bring more charges on themselves so they cant find the store and to return it to so it gets auctioned.

Also, think about bikes, jewelry, etc taken in burglaries. How are cops supposed to know what belongs to who? Aside from things like cars or other high value items that may be registered with the serial number most stuff isn't.

Not sure what you find suspicious about the whole thing. Also, alot of the stuff is seized so was bought with drug money or whatever.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post

Man you aren't kidding about a lot of bikes. First 2 or 3 hours of the auction was nothing but bikes. Some walmart type bikes like Huffys but some high end bikes. Alot of Trek, Mongoose, Specialized and even some Gary Fisher or whatever the guy who invented the mountain bikes name was. Some of those go for 2k retail selling for a few hundred at the auction.

As for resale, no problems, cops tried to track down the owners and couldn't so you dont have to worry about people comming back trying to claim stuff. Also, even if they did you have a receipt from the Chicago Police Dept and auctioneer stating you bought and own that item.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:45 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
This is stuff that can't be returned. Say some booster by the way a booster is basically someone who steals for a living and resells stuff or gets shpping lists from people and steals

Anyhow some booster gets caught or pulled over with a car full of stolen goods. The cops try to figure out where everything came from but can't always do it. Also the person caught probably isnt going to talk and bring more charges on themselves so they cant find the store and to return it to so it gets auctioned.

Also, think about bikes, jewelry, etc taken in burglaries. How are cops supposed to know what belongs to who? Aside from things like cars or other high value items that may be registered with the serial number most stuff isn't.

Not sure what you find suspicious about the whole thing. Also, alot of the stuff is seized so was bought with drug money or whatever.
I don't find it suspicious. I'm just sad for the owners. For example, I am sure in the example of the impounded truck the owner could have been contacted. I agree with you about stuff like jewelry, etc.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:52 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,325,183 times
Quote:
They are returned if the owner has a serial number. No serial number, you're SOL. Same thing with stolen guns or anything else. If you want to really keep track, which is a good thing for homeowner's insurance anyway, videotape your entire household contents and write down every serial number on anything you have that has one. Then keep it in a safe deposit box, with regular updates for new electronics, etc. It works just great for proving what you had in case of a fire, too.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:19 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
Went to a Chicago PD Auction yesterday. Interesting experience and some good deals. Thing I didn't like was it was near 26th and California near Cook County Jail which is a pretty bad area and it was a cash only auction so had to bring a pocket full of cash.
The last time I went to the Chicago Police Auction, it was held at one of the campuses of the City College of Chicago and about 80% of the material were recovered bikes. In general, you could buy most bikes at 25-40% of the price of new and the bikes were pretty good.

As for former owners making a claim, the police department gives you a proof of purchase. They have made every effort to contact an owner. Do realize that the CPD allows you to get a license on your bike which will identify you as owner if it is stolen. All bikes they sell include such a license.

The City of Chicago has a separate auction for recovered and surplus city vehicles. I do NOT attend those as the vehicles that you pick up there are long past worth buying. The suburban Chicagoland agencies sell their vehicles at a lower mileage.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:51 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,399,081 times
Quote:
I don't find it suspicious. I'm just sad for the owners. For example, I am sure in the example of the impounded truck the owner could have been contacted. I agree with you about stuff like jewelry, etc.
the owner of the impounded truck is probably in jail for drug offenses. no feeling sorry for him, kiddo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living