Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 12:56 PM

318 posts, read 867,861 times

Advertisements

Of course, be as specific or general as you're comfortable with. I'm always looking for new ways to get better ideas of where I ought to move once I graduate and continue working for minimum wage-$9/hour, but without the luxury of paying only $250 a month in rent and utilities. I'd love to get my own apartment so that I don't have to do the roommate thing again (I don't mind living with others at all, but my concern is entering a contract with someone who isn't financially responsible like myself, which I've seen happen dozens of times with my parents). Problem is, my housing budget will likely fall around $400-500 a month depending on which utilities are included. Fortunately, putting down a deposit for the home and/or utilities will be no problem up to $2k. But I still can't afford much.

Housing costs (low), population (75k+), and climate (less than 1' of snow, never gets below 10 degrees in avg. winter, or as warm as we can get, must be relatively humid) are the most important factors to me in deciding where to move.

Anywayyyyy. . . . Where do you live, and is housing this cheap readily available?

Last edited by alamosakid; 04-25-2011 at 01:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 01:29 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,492,326 times
El Paso

Old 04-25-2011, 02:52 PM

4,263 posts, read 8,137,648 times
San Antonio, you may be able to find one. I was living in a 1 Bedroom, Brand New Apartment for about 560. So you can find ones for less.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:00 PM

121 posts, read 317,857 times
Well, we've got two houses right now because we're in the process of moving. One in Chicago and one in Atlanta and you wouldn't find one for under $500 a month in either area.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:13 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,111,525 times
A little north of Flint, Michigan.
Housing is stupidly cheap here if you are not fussy about where to live. You can actually BUY houses for $500 (although you would get what you pay for...LOL.)

For under $500 you can rent a small house or apartment in decent parts of this area - ie outside of Flint city, or in Flint Twp. It's become so easy to buy cheap houses that from what I read, rents have gotten cheaper.

I have a house in Flint (city) that I rent out for $400 a month, water bill paid for the renters. Two bedrooms, fenced yard, actually a nice little house on a dead-end street but in a so-so neighborhood. Most houses in that part of town rent from $300-500 a month.

Lots of nicer cheap areas around here in smaller towns, but the climate won't suit you and the economy is not great.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:23 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,831,425 times
In Northern IL you won't find anything that cheap. You may find a room. Some people who live far away might rent rooms, going home on weekends.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:51 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,945,334 times
You can find that in Las Vegas. But there's no humidity to speak of.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:07 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,297,770 times
Rural Oklahoma. Prices are low, but so is the population. You might find some cheap places in OK City or Tulsa but they wouldn't be in better areas, but the cheapest would be found living far enough away from the cities to do some commuting. And you'd have to have your own transportation to do that. I have a 2 bedroom house that similar ones here rent for around 300.00/month. Hot in summer, very short mild winters with the occasional snow or ice storm, humid.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:27 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,913,960 times
I'm always looking for new ways to get better ideas of where I ought to move once I graduate and continue working for minimum wage-$9/hour, but without the luxury of paying only $250 a month in rent and utilities.

Not too optimistic are you? are you graduating from college or high school- either way-why limit yourself?

Old 04-25-2011, 10:41 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,075,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamosakid View Post
Of course, be as specific or general as you're comfortable with. I'm always looking for new ways to get better ideas of where I ought to move once I graduate and continue working for minimum wage-$9/hour, but without the luxury of paying only $250 a month in rent and utilities. I'd love to get my own apartment so that I don't have to do the roommate thing again (I don't mind living with others at all, but my concern is entering a contract with someone who isn't financially responsible like myself, which I've seen happen dozens of times with my parents). Problem is, my housing budget will likely fall around $400-500 a month depending on which utilities are included. Fortunately, putting down a deposit for the home and/or utilities will be no problem up to $2k. But I still can't afford much.

Housing costs (low), population (75k+), and climate (less than 1' of snow, never gets below 10 degrees in avg. winter, or as warm as we can get, must be relatively humid) are the most important factors to me in deciding where to move.

Anywayyyyy. . . . Where do you live, and is housing this cheap readily available?
Efficiencies rent $300-$450 month, heat, gas and electric included.

1 Bedroom $350-$700 anything from heat, gas and electric included to fireplaces, combo over-under washer/dryer in unit with amenities.

Typical is $400-$450 heat included, parking, laundry, swimming pool and weight/training room

Around the university, which is a great location for any number of reasons not only its proximity to all 4 Interstates but to things cultural generally rent $350-$450 heat usually included (but not always) sometimes electric included, laundry on site, $450-$600 will sometimes get you a fireplace or usually central air.

That's in Cincinnasti.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living