Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 02:00 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,748,568 times

Advertisements

Gas cost, insurance, repairs, oil changes, registration, parking tickets and so on make cars expensive even if you pay it off. Cars were supposed to give us freedom, but they make us slaves. Are they really better than horses for people who drive around a few miles here and there?

Or maybe a bike would be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 02:03 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,391,751 times
Feed, housing (barn), vet care, manure removal, liabillity insurance.............

Old 03-19-2010, 02:06 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,773,906 times
Quote:
Why don't we uses horses for city transportation?
Because it's no longer the 19th century?

Old 03-19-2010, 02:10 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,468,602 times
My car costs me $0.24 per mile to run including gas, mx, insurance, taxes. Everything. That is averaged over 7 years, it's a station wagon. I bet that is way less than a horse when you factor in food, shelter, vet bills, paying someone to maintain them, etc. Cars are cheap transportation.

If I don't drive at all I just have to come up with taxes and insurance. That's around $280/year. Peanuts compared to what a horse would cost.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:03 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,058,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
Gas cost, insurance, repairs, oil changes, registration, parking tickets and so on make cars expensive even if you pay it off. Cars were supposed to give us freedom, but they make us slaves. Are they really better than horses for people who drive around a few miles here and there?

Do you have any clue how much it costs to maintain a horse? I didn't think so. Yeah, bikes would be better.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:13 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,748,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Do you have any clue how much it costs to maintain a horse? I didn't think so. Yeah, bikes would be better.
I only brought it up because oil will run out, so it's not an if, but a when. Whatever applies today, won't when that happens. But yeah, bikes have almost zero cost once paid for.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:28 PM

416 posts, read 631,018 times
You can always buy a cheap used car instead of one over $10k. I'd take a car I can leave outside all day for several days over a horse I have to groom, feed, water, walk/run, saddle/unsaddle, provide shelter and health care for and also clean up after, every day of the year.

Of course a bicycle is even cheaper to maintain than a car, and healthier for you.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:29 PM

162 posts, read 430,997 times
Default horses are cool, but bikes are just as fast and better

horses are cool but bikes are a lot less trouble and a lot less dangerous. And I can say this from experience after being thrown by a horse, I have realized the amount of power those animals have... you're literally just like a piece of paper to them, they can throw you up in the air like you're nothing. Also my great grandfather died being kicked by a mule and that ain't a good way to go.
The main dissadvantage of horses is the liability. They can go crazy if they get scared. I don't think that the maintenance cost for a horse is as much as some people think... it's a beast of burden darnit, not a fluffy little chihuahua pet. Put it in a pasture and give it water. But there are other dissadvantages like FLIES! and horse crap (although that's not at all a dissadvantage for people like me who garden), however they do attract problem #1 (flies).
and then there's MR. Al Gore who would have a problem with horses because they most definitelly output quite a bit of CO2 into the atmosphere.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:48 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,981,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendesert View Post
I don't think that the maintenance cost for a horse is as much as some people think... it's a beast of burden darnit, not a fluffy little chihuahua pet. Put it in a pasture and give it water.
How many people in the city have a pasture? If you want your horse to be reliable, it's gotta be healthy and that costs $$$.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:55 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,691,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post

A bike makes way more sense really. No oats, no hay for bedding and no horse patties to avoid stepping in on the streets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living