Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 04:39 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,463,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The only way to keep us all from being impovrished is to start taking it back
time for a peoples revolution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 08:00 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,153,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The top 1% own Half of the wealth and want more. The only way to keep us all from being impovrished is to start taking it back
I've found going to work everyday an ample substitute for avoiding being impovrished.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:03 PM

20,948 posts, read 18,968,951 times
Get 'em while they're hot!

Old 05-08-2011, 04:00 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,852,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
Ad I found here while reading this thread:

Food Stamps (Application) - Apply Today for Food Stamps Available For Your Household! - [SIZE=-1]www.usfoodstamps.net

1 in 7 Americans seems ...... like a lot.

[/SIZE]About 1 in 7 in U.S. Receive Food Stamps - Real Time Economics - WSJ

Things have been managed so poorly that it must have been intentional. Noyone is that incompetent.
resources ARE finite. the bigger this gets, the less everyone is going to "get".

there should be NO reason that government trolls for new food stamp recipients. it is to feed the bureaucracy and that is intended for subjugation, pure and simple.

the government should be working harder to get people OFF of food stamps.

another thing, when the government tells people they are going to have to cut back-let's look at those budget figures i posted again and see where the biggest drain is at first......

Old 05-08-2011, 04:25 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,556,254 times
I dont know about other states or if this is for all states but any welfare recipient to qualify or renew they are talking about getting drug tested first.

I think that is a great idea, and should be done.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:00 PM

4,865 posts, read 5,654,425 times
My boyfriend applied for Food Stamps a few days ago. He lost his construction job a little over a month ago and his unemployment check is $134 a week. I wish I was kidding.
I am working part-time even though I was ordered bed rest by my doctor for a High Risk pregnancy.
He needs another job but can't find one.

Things are really tough right now. We used to have a monthly income of over 6 grand combined before all of this happened. It costs a lot to live in the Boston area and we are barely making ends meet.

I wish I could have foreseen this. We feel like trash and our daughter will be born in less than a month.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:55 PM

4,765 posts, read 3,709,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You're missing the point. I understand people have hard times, sometimes through no fault of their own, but I'm not going to subsidize people's life-styles, which is exactly what I'm forced to do.

If someone comes to me and says they need $200 to buy food, okay, but I'm not going to give them $200 so they can have internet, cell-phones, cable TV and NetFlix, which is exactly what I'm being forced to do.

None of those things are necessities in life. You see it through rose-colored glasses as helping people, I see it as subsidizing other people's life-styles, when I don't have cable/satellite and I don't have a cell-phone plan and I don't get DVDs from NetFlix, because I can't afford them.
Unfortunately no one can count on a kindhearted souls, such as yourself, giving them that $200 when they truly need it.

Again, you are focusing on the people who take advantage of the system, rather than the ones in real need. Personally, I believe that is a defense mechanism people use to feel better about turning a blind eye to suffering.

I prefer to accept that there will be waste, work to reduce it and focus on the positive outcome of helping others. Many of your points are fair. People who do not need assistance should be weeded out and fraud and inefficiency should be addressed. But, even the best system will have problems and some folks would still point to that and make it the primary issue. The concept is sound and moral, it does need to be monitored and adjusted to assure it performs as intended.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
is there a place i can buy someones food stamps really cheap so they can have the cash to buy alcohol and crack cocaine?
Just look for that really skinny 7 year old with the hip flask and a bad case of the shakes. You outta be able to work an advantageous deal.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
My boyfriend applied for Food Stamps a few days ago. He lost his construction job a little over a month ago and his unemployment check is $134 a week. I wish I was kidding.
I am working part-time even though I was ordered bed rest by my doctor for a High Risk pregnancy.

Things are really tough right now. We used to have a monthly income of over 6 grand combined before all of this happened. It costs a lot to live in the Boston area and we are barely making ends meet.

I wish I could have foreseen this. We feel like trash and our daughter will be born in less than a month.
You are a veteran? I hope things work out for you. Good luck.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:42 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,852,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post

no american who works should EVER feel like "trash".

the problem here is that enough tax money is collected to take care of the truly needy, but that the money is instead funneled into fraud and the rich at the top are getting richer while the poor at the bottom are really starting to struggle-and this is with huge amounts of extra printed money thrown into the system.

we have legislators who sign bills they haven't even read, who pass legislation they clearly don't understand, and how have been bought by special interest groups for agendas that get them taxpayer money.

i wonder how this government would handle getting its credit card cut off, because clearly over 6 trillion spent yearly with a dwindling GDP is not going to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living