Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 05:34 AM

4,865 posts, read 5,654,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
You are a veteran? I hope things work out for you. Good luck.

Yes, I am a Veteran and so is my boyfriend...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 06:44 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,303,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I've found going to work everyday an ample substitute for avoiding being impovrished.

How then do you explain the continued existence of the working poor?

Old 05-09-2011, 06:51 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,303,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Who would pay $6.99 for boneless chicken breasts? Even in the frozen section, a 3lb pound bag goes for less than $8 generally. We must live in VERY different parts of the country.

I always wait for boneless chicken breasts to go on sale for $2 a pound. This usually requires buying the "extreme value pack" (or whatever supermarket x calls it) but that's fine, I just separate all the pieces and freeze them for later consumption. Since sometimes it's months before they go on sale again, I try to space them out over several weeks or longer.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:57 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,905,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I've found going to work everyday an ample substitute for avoiding being impovrished.
GREAT suggestion! We're going through rough times ourselves right now. Why not give me YOURS?

I've been a stay at home mom for 11+ years. I'm having a really hard time getting an interview, despite my extensive volunteer time. I found ONE job so far - 8 hours a week. Still waiting for a start date (federal job - so far it's been 70+ days since app, 45+ days since I was told the job was mine, if I want it) and it will be incompatible with having a full time job (as the hours are Monday mornings, Saturday mornings and every 'day after a national holiday'.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:20 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,153,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How then do you explain the continued existence of the working poor?
My being able to not be impoverished by holding a job and the existence of working poor aren't mutually exclusive states.

Poster claimed the top 1% are taking all the money and the only way for the rest of us to avoid being impoverished is to start taking it back. I'm not the top 1%, and I'm not impoverished. There is a middle class.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:22 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,153,114 times
Quote:
GREAT suggestion! We're going through rough times ourselves right now. Why not give me YOURS?
If you've been a stay at home Mom for 11 years it is likely you aren't qualified to do my job. Best of luck though, I hope things work out for you.

I'm not sure how transferring my job to you would support the position that everyone but the top 1% are becoming impoverished.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:00 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,709,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
To be clear, I would emphasize with your plight if you were not a veteran too. But, it certainly goes to your favor that you are not some slacker who expects a free ride.

You are exactly who these systems are designed to help. Once this tough time passes you will be back on your feet and contributing again. In the mean time, accept what is offered and take care of your family.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:27 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,852,227 times
Quote:

I've been a stay at home mom for 11+ years. I'm having a really hard time getting an interview, despite my extensive volunteer time. I found ONE job so far - 8 hours a week. Still waiting for a start date (federal job - so far it's been 70+ days since app, 45+ days since I was told the job was mine, if I want it) and it will be incompatible with having a full time job (as the hours are Monday mornings, Saturday mornings and every 'day after a national holiday'.

that is where the real problem comes in. we don't need more government jobs because the government is a TAKER, and that is why people who are thrown a loop (when kicked out of the private sector for whatever reason) actually need to become takers also.

this exacerbates the death of the private sector. the more money that needs to be pulled from the private sector to support the increasing government jobs,, increasing salaries, government pensions, government health care, welfare and social programs, and increasing illegal migration to this country, the worse it gets- and you have a really ugly cycle.

LOOK AT ALL THOSE PEOPLE WHO ARE NOW DEPENDENT ON PRIVATE SECTOR MONEY!

i am not surprised that you are still waiting to hear about this job....

i can't believe the government is actually trying to get MORE people into the system and /or not willing to cut their own salaries, benefits, healthcare, retirement, double dipping, etc.

this is, of course, insane and will end badly at some point.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
the objection to the food stamp program has always been the delivery system (which enables the fraud-) NOT to helping poor people eat.

i don't know one person who would object to helping their fellow americans in actual need of food.

we live in a country that has a lot of food. in my area, there are always food drives and people donate give food. the postal carriers collect food for drives as well.

i would love to see a system where people could bring their surplus food (whatever it is ) and have it distributed to those who need it-on a big scale. people feel good when they get to help others personally, and it is equally good to know that we are all in this together.

people helping each other is what it is all about.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:45 PM

this is what is really wrong with the system:

Millionaire Still Getting Food Stamps | digtriad.com

Leroy Fick, 59, of Auburn won $2 million in the state lottery TV show "Make Me Rich!" last June. But the state's Department of Human Services determined he was still eligible for food stamps, Fick's attorney, John Wilson of Midland, said Tuesday.

When the reporter asked about why he think's it's okay to continuing getting food stamps, Fick told him, "If you're going to try to make me feel bad, you aren't going to do it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living