Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 04:22 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
For me, housing isn't a very high priority in my life and I don't wish to invest in my own home despite popular belief (although I have other investments.) It seems when you disregard housing, the cost of living between the high and low cost areas aren't radically different.

Case in point, one of my best friends who is currently unemployed lives in San Francisco and pays maybe about $500/600 in rent to rent a room to share a housing unit in a relatively good neighborhood. He doesn't own a car and just buys the monthly bus pass for about $50-60 or whatever to get unlimited transportation around the city. Figure about $70 for health insurance and $200 for food (mostly cooking rather than eating out) and he's spending less than $1000/mo of his savings to live in SF while looking for a job in the area.

He might spend less than that to live in, say, Omaha but since his career is in IT and most of his connections are in California, it makes much more sense to be located in San Francisco than Omaha while looking for the job.

I'm curious if any other people here manage their frugality despite living in a high cost of living area (i.e. California, East Coast, Chicago, Miami, DC, Raleigh, etc.)?
For me, it was the exact opposite. I bought a property because my income was modest. I felt my earning potential was limited and I had to figure out how to gain an asset and make my income work. It has been almost 9 years and my mortgage related expenses are less than what a person would pay in rent for a comparable property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 01:05 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so when you ask "why wouldnt renters be more frugal?" im just saying that (as a whole) they arent.
Yes, you're saying, but you've not provided anything that actually shows that. Regardless, the aggregate behavior of renters really says nothing about what I'm talking about. I don't know why you keep mentioning it...unless you're confusing causality/correlation.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:12 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yes, you're saying, but you've not provided anything that actually shows that. Regardless, the aggregate behavior of renters really says nothing about what I'm talking about. I don't know why you keep mentioning it...unless you're confusing causality/correlation.
you want to control the discussion more than you have a legitimate right to do so. i do not care if you dont feel my point is relevant to what you are talking about. you seem to want people to argue that renting is always a bad option. well, nobody is arguing that so too bad. but i feel its worth noting that as a group homeowners are significantly more wealthy and frugal than renters. there are certain points im thinking about relating the two, but i dont really want to get into it just to argue with a complete moron.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
i do not care if you dont feel my point is relevant to what you are talking about.
Then why respond to me in the first place? It makes little sense to keep repeating something that you've provided zero support for that is not even relevant in the first place.

Quote:
you seem to want people to argue that renting is always a bad option. well, nobody is arguing that so too bad.
To say it once more, I was responding to a particular comment, a comment that was not made by you. This really isn't that difficult...

Old 05-16-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Then why respond to me in the first place? It makes little sense to keep repeating something that you've provided zero support for that is not even relevant in the first place.

To say it once more, I was responding to a particular comment, a comment that was not made by you. This really isn't that difficult...
you didnt want to deny that fact so i didnt feel the need to provide additional support. i think its pretty obvious.

you responded to a comment, i commented on your response. so what? just accept that the conversation isnt locked into your box and people will make comments that dont fit exactly where you want to be.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
you responded to a comment, i commented on your response. so what?
You are commenting on my response irrespective of the context it was made and this is just silly. Anyhow, this is a waste of time, until you can figure out how to actually track a conservative (in addition to not acting like a child) I'll just ignore your commentary.

Anyhow, so you think that renters are on average less frugal. Thanks for letting me know, but I'm not concerned with your opinions.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks for letting me know
maybe this is part of your confusion. i dont make the assumption that you are the only person reading the posts in this thread. when i make a comment, everyone is free to read it and comment. they are also free to move away from your pointless attempt at an argument, and take the conversation along in a different direction.

like why are renters less frugal than homeowners. i did post a link to an article that compared the two groups and various income levels, and at each level homeowners were significantly wealthier than renters. in my personal experience, the people i know who are renters are much less responsible financially than homeowners.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:41 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
So, are you guys about done?
or should someone set out a target (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260521681887&hlp=false &rvr_id=232813738440&clk_rvr_id=232813738440&crlp= 1_263602_304652&UA=M*F%3F&GUID=fa899e5612f0a0aa17c 30fd3ff58c423&itemid=260521681887&ff4=263602_30465 2 - broken link) for you?

Old 05-16-2011, 04:18 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Quote:
im not inferring that. you think i am because you want to take what i said and fit it into the argument you want to have. im just pointing out that renters as a group are less frugal than owners. so when you ask "why wouldnt renters be more frugal?" im just saying that (as a whole) they arent.
In my younger days I knew plenty of renters who spent the rest on beer, concerts, cars and records.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:51 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
As I pointed out earlier, I was responding to a particular comment. Its best to keep track of these sorts of things. Now, its certainly possible that I misunderstood the poster, but then its his job to clarify matters (if he so wishes). No idea why you keep yapping about a comment I made towards another poster who left the discussion. Don't you have some coupons to cut or something? Just a thought...
which poster were you even responding to? i can't even figure out where this all started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living