Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 06:52 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,061 times

Advertisements

What are some examples for you?

Ok, so I go to this group when I can make it there. It's a Spanish conversation group and it's at a French (I know) cafe. Invariably, maybe a dozen people show up. The group itself meets for a couple of hours. What chaps my hide are the people who show up and will not even buy a cup of coffee. The restaurant is good enough to let the group use their restaurant week after week yet not everyone buys at least something. So I make it a point to buy at least a croissant (as by then I've already had several cups of coffee) and they add 18% to the price of whatever is purchased. Fair enough to me. But I still think this is the definition of cheap (those who don't buy anything). BTW, I don't even eat it there, I just come home and put it in the freezer, but at least I feel like I am buying something.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 07:08 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Ok, so I go to this group when I can make it there. It's a Spanish conversation group and it's at a French (I know) cafe. Invariably, maybe a dozen people show up. The group itself meets for a couple of hours... Thoughts?
The cafe operator knows the score.
It's about marketing and good community relations to them...
not necessarily whether every warm body through their doors spends $X per visit...

otoh, were the scales to balance toward the parsimonious all of the time...
but that doesn't appear to be the case.
---

Old 05-14-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The cafe operator knows the score.
It's about marketing and good community relations to them...
not necessarily whether every warm body through their doors spends $X per visit...

otoh, were the scales to balance toward the parsimonious all of the time...
but that doesn't appear to be the case.
---
If half the table isn't buying anything, isn't that cheap? BTW, the cafe operator knows the organizer, so given their relationship, I do imagine it would be harder to say "your group cannot come any longer." I have never gone anywhere where I haven't purchased something, even if it's only french fries.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:16 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Unless they are turning away other customers because no more seating I can't imagine it hurts the cafe owner too much.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Unless they are turning away other customers because no more seating I can't imagine it hurts the cafe owner too much.
The cafe owner still has to clean the table. And it's only normal to charge 18% for groups of X or more as it's more work for the restaurant to clean up and serve. Now, granted, this is not a sit down and order kind of place, but I think it's just cheap.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:28 AM

3,041 posts, read 5,001,053 times
The difference between cheap and frugal is whether it has negative impact on someone else.

Ordering chicken instead of lobster? Frugal. Ordering the lobster but not leaving tip? Cheap.

Buying a cheaper gift even though it's not what someone wants? Cheap. Making a gift that has significance? Frugal.

Finding a cafe that will let you meet there for free: frugal. Not ordering something: cheap.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:28 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
The cafe owner still has to clean the table. And it's only normal to charge 18% for groups of X or more as it's more work for the restaurant to clean up and serve. Now, granted, this is not a sit down and order kind of place, but I think it's just cheap.
Cleaning tables is a fixed cost, so it's not really hurting the business.

I do agree that it is in bad taste to show up at a cafe and not order anything. But it appears there is an understanding and the owner doesn't mind. Whether it's cheap, frugal, or just something else, cannot be concluded without surveying.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Cleaning tables is a fixed cost, so it's not really hurting the business.

I do agree that it is in bad taste to show up at a cafe and not order anything. But it appears there is an understanding and the owner doesn't mind. Whether it's cheap, frugal, or just something else, cannot be concluded without surveying.
Well, there isn't much to survey. I've pretty much described the situation. If some money is better than none, ok, I see your point. And maybe in poor taste is a good way to describe it. But it's always been in poor taste or CHEAP to go into a restaurant and not spend at least $2. That has never changed irrespective of the situation.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:37 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,278,686 times
I think it's very thoughtful that you order a little something extra and leave a tip. As long as your group doesn't keep other patrons from getting a table it's not a big deal if everyone doesn't order. Maybe a gentle reminder that the staff depends upon their tips for their salary would help.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Buying a cheaper gift even though it's not what someone wants? Cheap. Making a gift that has significance? Frugal.
What if someone wants a truck for his BD and you have the money in the bank? Sorry, no way and THAT is frugal, not cheap. Making him his favorite dinner, etc? Frugal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living