Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 10:30 PM

25,367 posts, read 18,504,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Uh....he won't date because that involves spending money on the girl...
Or could it be that he's not interested in a relationship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 09:53 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,681,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I found another example of the OP's question - At What Point Does Frugality Stop and Being A Cheap Bast*** Begin? This is pretty funny, though.

Today, I was cleaning out a box of crafts and I found a whole stack of old calendars that I use (framed prints and decoupage ideas) Then, I got to thinking. Hmmm, I wonder how long I can hang onto these until I can actually use them again.

Turns out that last year, I could have used a calendar from 1993 and 1999. This year, I could have used a calendar from 1994 and 2005. Next year, I can use a calendar from 1984. I don't have one that goes back that far, thankfully. If I did, that would really mean I'm a hoarder.

My point, though is that reusing old calendars is not something I would probably think of doing. If it was, however, I don't think that's an example of being frugal. That's just plain old cheap! Gosh! I wonder if I could sell any of these old calendars on eBay!
The Calendar people are way ahead of you. Calenders are printed only on very glossy, slick paper, so you can't write appointments on them with a pencil, it won't show. You have to use a ball point pen, and then you can't erase it and reuse the calendar in a later year. There is a reason for everything---to find it, just follow the money.

By the middle of January, bookstores already have a table of $20 calendars marked down to a buck. You can get that far by drawing a January calendar on the plain back of a piece of junk mail with a sharpie, takes about 60 seconds. In 5 minutes, you can make a calendar for the whole year, and even draw it so the 24th and 31st have separate boxes of their own.

I've always advocated a public law that when the 31st falls on a Monday, it's a public holiday, with everything closed, because it never has its own space to write appointments on.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-31-2011 at 10:08 AM..

Old 05-31-2011, 10:10 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,681,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Or could it be that he's not interested in a relationship?

When a girl figures out that she's going to have to be the one that works for the income to support the husband, she'll be happy enough to discover how cheap he is.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:18 AM

19,147 posts, read 16,539,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I've always advocated a public law that when the 31st falls on a Monday, it's a public holiday, with everything closed, because it never has its own space to write appointments on.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:19 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,349,547 times
while he may be a bit of a mooch, i don't see his activity as cheap. maybe it is, but if his parents are ok with the situation, and he enjoys living there, why not? i couldn't live with my parents, it would drive me nuts, but if i'm not starting a family, and i get alone with my parents well...why not use that space and pay a part of the mortgage? in the end....who really cares?

i use day old coffee all the time. i usually put the rest of the pot in the fridge for some iced coffee. that's not cheap. why waste it?

Old 05-31-2011, 03:35 PM

25,367 posts, read 18,504,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
l...why not use that space and pay a part of the mortgage? in the end....who really cares?
Exactly my point earlier. Rather than paying some faceless property management company, why not pay the parents the cash to help pay the mortgage or other expenses? If both parties are willing, what's the problem?

Note: I'm just saying in general. It sounds like this guy may be taking advantage, but in general, if the parents and child get along okay, it seems like a win-win situation to me. It hasn't been all that long ago that this was VERY common. Somewhere along the line it became some sort of taboo, I guess. But it's still quite common in many other countries. I've never seen what the big deal is... of course, I've never really had issues with my parents and they've never had issues with me, so I wouldn't have a problem with it. It certainly wouldn't work if there were issues, though.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:31 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,151,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The Calendar people are way ahead of you. Calenders are printed only on very glossy, slick paper, so you can't write appointments on them with a pencil, it won't show. You have to use a ball point pen, and then you can't erase it and reuse the calendar in a later year. There is a reason for everything---to find it, just follow the money.

By the middle of January, bookstores already have a table of $20 calendars marked down to a buck. You can get that far by drawing a January calendar on the plain back of a piece of junk mail with a sharpie, takes about 60 seconds. In 5 minutes, you can make a calendar for the whole year, and even draw it so the 24th and 31st have separate boxes of their own.

We usually get a couple of gift calendars with kittens and critters on them, but I buy a plain old paper "at a glance" calendar every year. The previous year gets stuck in with tax records, because it has tax stuff on it. I run my life by a color co-ordinated system.... pink is for bills that are due on the day they are debited, green is for doctor/PT appointments, orange is for pet appointments, blue is for general reminders and hatching off the done stuff, and black is for work reminders....

I tried to use the made on the computer calendar, but the fact that it didn't have the wire binding on the top and the hanging loop made it a pain and then it sat on the desk, and then it got coffee spilled on it and the cats shredded it..... total mistake. Far better to have something that works for me, even if I have to pay a little money for it.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:44 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,356,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Then there's my brother-in-law. He's 45. He still lives with his parents. He makes gobs of money as the owner of his own engineering firm. His only daughter is a freshman in college, but he refused to pay for private college. Instead, he made her go to the cheapest university he could find, and established her residency with us so she could get the in-state tuition rate. He has never taken her on a decent vacation and complains about her spending any money.
Just think, he'll die someday and DD will probably throw away his money as fast as she can!

Old 06-03-2011, 04:14 PM

17,135 posts, read 56,822,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
My wife and I save, save, save. We have a really nice nest egg and investments. No one would ever accuse us of being spendthrifts.

Then there's my brother-in-law. He's 45. He still lives with his parents. He makes gobs of money as the owner of his own engineering firm. He writes a token amount to pay for his part of the mortgage, but doesn't begin to cover the food, the property taxes, the furnishings, the utilities, and the what not.

His entire wardrobe consists of free polo shirts given to him by vendors. He will not go out to eat, will not date, and drives a fourteen-year-old used car that leaves oil stains in the in-laws' driveway. His only daughter is a freshman in college, but he refused to pay for private college. Instead, he made her go to the cheapest university he could find, and established her residency with us so she could get the in-state tuition rate. He has never taken her on a decent vacation and complains about her spending any money. What's more, his parents are almost as cheap. Rather than brew a new pot of coffee, they'll heat up the coffee from the day before. And the list goes on.

So where do you draw the line? When does the saving of money get in the way of actually having some kind of life?
I think I am safe in drawing the line south of you, and north of your brother-in-law.

Being frugal means not wasting money, on getting a good deal on what you buy. It means buying a less-well-known cut of steak that's getting close to its "sell-by" date out of the clearance bin, not settling for hot dogs (unless you truly would prefer a hot dog today).

We don't go out to eat much anymore, DW truly can out-cook most of the chefs around here, likewise I take care of older cars that probably would not work for someone who can't do their own maintenance and repair. But if we want to go out, we do, and we don't settle for the Golden Arches either.

I think insisting the kid goes to a school she can get in-state tuition at is frugal, but insisting on the very cheapest school is being cheap. Depends on what one is studying of course, there are some schools with good programs in certain topics, that have very reasonable tuition.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:14 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,901,537 times
When your frugality is at the expense of your family, relatives and friends, when you are shifting your financial burden to them rather then pay your fair share, you have become a cheap bast***.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living