Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 06:03 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,303,677 times

Advertisements

When you don't tip waitresses, I used to have a co-worker that would do this. I went out to lunch with him exactly twice when I figured out what he was up to. You will find out true "cheapness" when you go out to a restaurant with someone! What do they order, how they act when the bill comes, do they tip, how much, etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 06:49 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,818,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
........So where do you draw the line? When does the saving of money get in the way of actually having some kind of life?
When it places a financial inconvenience or burden on others.

If you are saving money because you have goals in mind be it for investment, children's college, paying of debt, purchasing a home, a vacation, that is one thing.

When you can afford to do things but choose not to do anything because it costs money, and if you are not saving with specific goals, then saving is indeed getting in the way of living.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:06 AM

25,362 posts, read 18,504,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
When you don't tip waitresses, I used to have a co-worker that would do this. I went out to lunch with him exactly twice when I figured out what he was up to. You will find out true "cheapness" when you go out to a restaurant with someone! What do they order, how they act when the bill comes, do they tip, how much, etc....
Order take-out. You aren't expected to pay a waitress' wage. I occasionally eat restaurant food, but I haven't eaten within a restaurant in many years. I pay for the food I order and no more.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:10 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,529,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
No, he is just an idiot. He owns a successful engineering firm. He just is cheap. No way to sugar coat it.
how do you know how successful his business is? do you know his income?

Old 06-09-2011, 08:16 PM

858 posts, read 1,798,993 times
Cheap, not frugal. I don't care if he lives with his parents but not even paying his fair share? And the worst is being stingy with his daughter and her education. It's not necessary to go to Harvard, but to go to the extreme of finding the cheapest university? That's bad.

As karma works, she would have a field day with all the money she would inherit someday.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:32 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,668,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Dining out is always a good way to identify the "cheapskates". Usually, if we go out to dinner with one or two other couples - we all have a few cocktails, share some appetizers, order our entrees and, at the end, we will just split the bill right down the middle. If the total for 3 couples is $150, we hand him 3 credit cards and just ask him to charge $50 to each. But every so often you get that one person who needs to grab the bill, pull out their calculator and make sure they don't pay an extra buck or two because their main course was $1 less than someone else's.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:22 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,634,984 times
I have a friend that is worth at least a mil (he loves to show me his financial statements), yet on Thanksgiving he'll take the subway into DC and eat Thanksgiving dinner with the homeless at the DC Central Kitchen. He doesn't even have to "dress down"...his everyday attire would never raise suspicion. LOL.

I always invite him to have Thanksgiving with us....even offering to come pick him up (the 25 miles to my place "costs too much gas")...but nope, he prefers the soup kitchen. He's a great guy, but he must be nuts. I don't go over to his house in cold weather....he turns the heat so low that skim ice forms in his commodes!

Curiously, he does have one weakness...firearms. Guns are the only thing he'll spend money on. He's not a violent guy...I guess he just likes guns. He tells me his favorite way to spend a Saturday night is to cook a frozen pizza and reload ammunition, LOL.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:37 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,529,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Dining out is always a good way to identify the "cheapskates". Usually, if we go out to dinner with one or two other couples - we all have a few cocktails, share some appetizers, order our entrees and, at the end, we will just split the bill right down the middle. If the total for 3 couples is $150, we hand him 3 credit cards and just ask him to charge $50 to each. But every so often you get that one person who needs to grab the bill, pull out their calculator and make sure they don't pay an extra buck or two because their main course was $1 less than someone else's.
i generally like the even split. but what screws that up for me is people who order alcohol. i dont mind if someone gets an expensive entree or whatever, but alcohol can add up very fast and i see it as a waste (i guess just a mental thing for me). im not going to say anything but it will impact whether or not i go out with those people again and i may at least make sure its a byob.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:21 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,668,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i generally like the even split. but what screws that up for me is people who order alcohol. i dont mind if someone gets an expensive entree or whatever, but alcohol can add up very fast and i see it as a waste (i guess just a mental thing for me). im not going to say anything but it will impact whether or not i go out with those people again and i may at least make sure its a byob.
I quite agree there. Obviously if there is a major disparity in the orders (say, one person orders a salad and the rest order entrees that are twice as much) or, as you say, if someone is not drinking alcohol (although that never happens in our group) - I will be the first to insist they owe less on the total bill - that's proper. I was talking more along the lines of where everyone more or less is on an even footing and where the difference in a $100 tab may be, if calculated down to the penny, something like $52 vs. $48.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:29 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,827,676 times
Some would say using the phone book as toilet tissue seems extreme. Yet using the Sears catalog for that was once commonplace. Good advertising for Sears too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living