Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 08:24 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,608,581 times

Advertisements

A lot of people don't want to cut their consumer expenditures because "you should enjoy it now, you might die tomorrow, and you can't take it with you".

What I don't get is, why do so many people invoke this argument only to spending and not to anything else?

For instance, no one says "You should play video games and not do your homework, as you might die tomorrow, and you can't take your grades with you", or "You should not bother to work hard at work, it's perfectly fine to watch youtube videos instead of doing your job - you might die tomorrow and you can't take your work reviews with you". Or even "You should go jet skiing and not clean the house - you might die tomorrow and you can't take your clean house with you".

These arguments sound dumb when applied to anything else in our lives, why is this suddenly something people take seriously when it comes to spending even when they would never apply that logic to anything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 08:31 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,916,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
A lot of people don't want to cut their consumer expenditures because "you should enjoy it now, you might die tomorrow, and you can't take it with you".

What I don't get is, why do so many people invoke this argument only to spending and not to anything else?

For instance, no one says "You should play video games and not do your homework, as you might die tomorrow, and you can't take your grades with you", or "You should not bother to work hard at work, it's perfectly fine to watch youtube videos instead of doing your job - you might die tomorrow and you can't take your work reviews with you". Or even "You should go jet skiing and not clean the house - you might die tomorrow and you can't take your clean house with you".

These arguments sound dumb when applied to anything else in our lives, why is this suddenly something people take seriously when it comes to spending even when they would never apply that logic to anything else?
It's just a way to justify their spending habits. It's true, I COULD die tomorrow but then again, I might not. So I'll plan on the "not".

I have actually heard people say they want to do something because they might "die tomorrow". I think they're nuts but, yeah, justification! I guess people just gear it more toward money than anything else and figure it's a good argument.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:32 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,621,745 times
It's an excuse for not doing what you should be doing

Old 08-10-2014, 08:58 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,608,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
It's an excuse for not doing what you should be doing
't's what I thought...

Old 08-10-2014, 09:44 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,744,359 times
I doubt people are running around spending everything they own every 2 weeks. That statement is used to say "take a you day every once in awhile". Take a yearly vacation, do something fun instead of saving it. That's all. Everything in moderation. The people that have issues with this statement are ones that have huge financial goals in front of them, whether that be paying off large amounts of debt, saving a down payment or full cash payment for a car or house, etc. If you have large financial goals, keep on course and keep saving, every little bit helps. I used to go out a lot to restaurants and bars, but have decided to go only once in awhile now to save more.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:41 PM

7,083 posts, read 8,958,239 times
The "you might die tomorrow" is a good justification to not spend if you have a family that will be left behind.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:12 PM

795 posts, read 1,269,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post

Actually, I think you are partially wrong... I've seen the why study argument... but it was laziness more than a real argument about dying tomorrow.

I do know a guy who has had his mother, dad, and brother die before 65 make the argument... I can't fault him in his logic. He is around 50.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:33 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,999,559 times
That statement bothers me too. My thinking is, "What if you don't die tomorrow?" No one is asking you to put your life on hold for financial reasons, but be smart!

Old 08-10-2014, 06:21 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,104,057 times
I must be in a cynical mood. After reading the OP, I thought, it's more likely that you will become sick/disabled rather than just abruptly die, and hopefully you've lived reasonably, and have savings, insurance, and a way to meet your basic needs.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:29 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,620,189 times
I agree with the poster above. It's more likely we'll have a car accident or condition that requires a hospital than die tomorrow.

Of course, this is from an old lady with one foot in the grave, or so they like to tell me.

It's best to find a balance. I have a special "treat fund" and several times a year, I take that money and go get a massage or go have gourmet coffee and something highly caloric. It's not like I'm blowing hundreds of dollars or anything. But that little treat makes me feel special in some way yet doesn't make a big dent in my savings plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living