Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 03:41 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,849 times

Advertisements

The boat thread got me thinking of an inexpensive way to live. Well, so I thought. Now it looks like RV camp grounds are relatively expensive places to park around here. Any ideas? Also, do the A/C's work pretty well or not? Does anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 05:01 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
My uncle in law (in his 70s) has lived in a 5th wheel trailer for decades and traveled between Iowa and Texas. His trailer keeps him cool in 100 degree summers in Texas. He does not have a huge retirement and works in an amusement park in Iowa in the summer and doesnt work in the winter.

He stays at a park in Iowa owned by the amusement park and has a space in a park in Texas. He loves it.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:05 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
As every other cost of living is the same...
it really won't cost you any less to live in an RV than it does to just stay put.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:32 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Actually living in an RV can be a very simple life and you can save money.

First off you don't have the space to store a lot of junk so you buy a lot less "stuff" which saves you money.

You have no property taxes which can be huge

Your cable, water, and garbage is usually included

If you stay at a park that has a lot of activities and a pool and fitness center you don't have to pay extra for your entertainment.

The longer you stay at one place the cheaper it is.

There are always new people to meet.

You really can't live any cheaper and have the same amount of amenities as some RV parks. A travel trailer would be the least expensive way to go.

They can get hot in the very high heat but with AC and fans you can stay comfortable.

My husband and I traveled in our motor home for 3 1/2 years. It was a great experience but we wanted a safe haven. Now we have a small house, lots of land, a barn, and two buildings full of stuff. I do sometimes miss the rving simple lifestyle. Life was very uncomplicated...which also in the long run could save you on health costs

Old 09-02-2011, 07:07 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
May try it when I retire, by choice or not. At that point in life a good school district and proximity to work are non-issues.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:18 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
it really won't cost you any less to live in an RV than it does to just stay put.
$110/mo for an RV payment vs $1200 month rent is a big difference.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:10 AM

782 posts, read 1,109,101 times
I lived in a 33 foot travel trailer for 2 years...I didn't have to pay a lot rent tho because I was required to live on site as part of my job...I have checked it out tho and lot rents can be 250-400 a month it depends on where you stay..amenities and stuff..also utilities are usually included because of the transient nature of the parks...BUT if you put a $300 lot rent on top of a $200-300 trailer payment you might be better off staying in an apartment...I liked trailer life but there are some things you need to be aware of...the A/C in my TT did very well for me until it went out..and they are expensive to replace. Some if not most TT use electricity and propane for heating cooking and this requires some maintenence...not difficult but you do need to check on your propane tanks. if you live in a park you can have a direct connection to the sewer I think but I needed to empty my black water tanks about every 2-3 weeks. I forgot to do this before I left to visit mty children one year and man o man..the stench was gut wrenching. I hated to toilet too..it was not your convential porcelon throne and I sure missed that. Also, I did not have a bathtub..just a shower. I still joke that I didn't take a bath for 2 years...but I missed bathing so much...I would prefer a park model home...regular appliances and plumbing and you can get a 2 bedroom with a loft for storage. They remind me of mini mobile homes and you can get real A/C.
I would love to go back to that life and am already looking at getting some acres in Texas, putting a park model home on it, and living happily ever after..

Old 09-03-2011, 08:49 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,727,168 times
I can see me living in one in the near future. I know at least three people that sold their houses and now live in RVs. They said their biggest regret was not doing it sooner...

Old 09-03-2011, 08:52 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
$110/mo for an RV payment vs $1200 month rent is a big difference.
for the moment lets pretend that $110 is reality...
that is still just the beginning of the costs.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:59 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Not true.

To the OP: read about "Boondocking"

There is a forum...

My Grandparent s were snowbirds, I know people who do it... One lives VERY well on $1,500 a month... (I know his Lot rent is under $250, most of the time he has the 40 acre park to himself)

I'll be doing it shortly while I build a house...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living