Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 08:53 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,051,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioque View Post
I lived in my car for several months years back to save month on rent and showered at a gym while working and going to school.
Hat's off to you. I was in the same situation, but only for two weeks, and I showered at a friend's place. There are many who have to do the same thing now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 06:39 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,679,379 times
Sometimes I go to New Hampshire (30 mins away) to save money on taxes...only if I am spending more than $500. Otherwise it is not worth it.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:41 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
In Illinois a toll hike is planned next year. Several users have said they will switch to untolled roads when it takes effect. But if they take 10 minutes longer to save a dollar, that is $6 an hour minus extra gas cost, if applicable. Not worth it.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:44 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
In Illinois a toll hike is planned next year. Several users have said they will switch to untolled roads when it takes effect. But if they take 10 minutes longer to save a dollar, that is $6 an hour minus extra gas cost, if applicable. Not worth it.

Everyone SAYS that they'll do it, but how many really follow through - maybe 5%?

Heck, there are a lot of people in Chicagoland who do NOT have an I-PASS which will save them 50% on tolls.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:36 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Most Chinese people (including my dad) are known for their frugality but tend to be frugal in the many small expenses that add up daily (as exemplified in that article) rather than the big ticket items.

I prefer to embrace frugality but of the opposite type: I really don't give a darn about all the small everyday expenses even though I know they'll add up.. however, I put all of my effort towards savings on the big ticket items (i.e. car, rent, major appliances, etc.)

That doesn't mean I won't save a buck or two for lunch or groceries if I can do it relatively effortlessly (ie. a coupon for something already on my shopping list pops up right there.) However, when you overpay on a single big ticket item, all of the effort that you put in saving and coupon clipping that month gets cancelled and goes out the window.

Simply put, I won't go very far to save a buck on, say, lunch but I'll go extremely far to save 1% on a car or house.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:24 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,685,123 times
NOT far at all.

If you don't set your foot out that door to spend...
you would have gone on "collecting" that money; not spending it.
(No internet shopping too... that is "spending").

Besides gas (to go far) takes money too... thus traveling that "0" distance is ideal for NOT SPENDING & saving much-o bucks.

But of course that is still not very realistic even when one have a vegetable garden and can hunt meat to survive on...

^^^ ideal level of "how close I would go to save the buck".

Realistically, even though I do go to the grocery (with coupons; no, I am NOT "frugal" but very very much a "miser"... <- being called one makes me very happy, don't ask me why just am weird like that) once a week and I do deeply believe in spending for food... still trying to pry that penny from my wallet is like "prying" my penny from my wallet.

I actually really love collecting money...
thus a penny in someone else's wallet / that cash register is a +1 for them and a -1 for me.

So many times I rather NOT go out (even to spend on gas) to save that buck.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:42 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
NOT far at all.

If you don't set your foot out that door to spend...
you would have gone on "collecting" that money; not spending it.
(No internet shopping too... that is "spending").

Besides gas (to go far) takes money too... thus traveling that "0" distance is ideal for NOT SPENDING & saving much-o bucks.

But of course that is still not very realistic even when one have a vegetable garden and can hunt meat to survive on...

^^^ ideal level of "how close I would go to save the buck".

Realistically, even though I do go to the grocery (with coupons; no, I am NOT "frugal" but very very much a "miser"... <- being called one makes me very happy, don't ask me why just am weird like that) once a week and I do deeply believe in spending for food... still trying to pry that penny from my wallet is like "prying" my penny from my wallet.

I actually really love collecting money...
thus a penny in someone else's wallet / that cash register is a +1 for them and a -1 for me.

So many times I rather NOT go out (even to spend on gas) to save that buck.
I can relate. I consider it a good day if the only time I take my wallet out of my pocket is when I get undressed for bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living