Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 10:45 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,850,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post

My recommendation:
Do a 'phantom move' for a few months.
Pay yourself your rent and other expenses, and let yoru mother stand alone.

Bank the difference.

This will build your buffer and tell you if it'll work.
Fantastic idea. Silly question though- I can look at apartments in the area and get an idea of my rent, but how can I get an idea of my other likely expenses? Having never lived on my own and only having paid some household bills, I need to learn more about everything involved in renting.

Right now I have 3,500 in savings, so even with what I do now I always auto-transfer $50 into savings each week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 10:55 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,294,705 times
It will be a higher rent, but try to find a place that has utilities included, especially heat. If all you have to pay outside of that is your phone, internet and TV, it'll be much easier to calculate. Best to you. You can do this.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:00 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
It will be a higher rent, but try to find a place that has utilities included, especially heat. If all you have to pay outside of that is your phone, internet and TV, it'll be much easier to calculate. Best to you. You can do this.

And you could bundle those, possibly getting a lower rate.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:03 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Fantastic idea. Silly question though- I can look at apartments in the area and get an idea of my rent, but how can I get an idea of my other likely expenses? Having never lived on my own and only having paid some household bills, I need to learn more about everything involved in renting.

Right now I have 3,500 in savings, so even with what I do now I always auto-transfer $50 into savings each week.

I do 3 things:

1. Ask the Land Lord (They want you to know, so you will know you can afford to pay it, and pay the rent!)

2. Compare it to my current bills

3. Ask people in similar, or corresponding domiciles.

Well, 4 really, you can check with the utility company.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:11 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,049,730 times
Quote:
-If you're going to live in the same area, use the utility bills in your mom's house as a model to calculate your own. Would you use more or less living on your own? Since most apartment owners pay for water and garbage/sewage, you can save some money there.

-Check with the pet store to see how much electricity involved in heating and lighting the size of fish tank you are going to have.

-Your pet's food bill is easy to calculate, just look at the receipts, but the vet bills are more difficult to estimate. However, since you have had some experience with JJ in the past, you may be able to plan for future expenses involved her and other cats.

-To calculate your grocery expense, look through the grocery receipts in your mom's house now (for you and her) and think what you would do differently when you shop for yourself.

-Prepare to pay a deposit on your utilities and internet since you have never had a service before in your own name.

-Remember, the initial expense of setting up your own place is high. You have to pay for every little thing unless your mom has more than one of everything and she can spare you the extra items. Broom or mop, vacuum cleaner, scrub brushes, trash bins, kitchen cleaners, detergent, hand soap, towels, pots and pans, dishes, silverware, light bulbs, flashlights, matches, candles, kitchen utensils, Tupperware, pot holders, shower curtain, bath mat, etc. and etc.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 10-21-2011 at 11:39 PM..

Old 10-22-2011, 01:40 AM

917 posts, read 2,004,846 times
have you thought about getting a roommate if money is too tight.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:28 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,850,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
have you thought about getting a roommate if money is too tight.
That would rather ruin the point...I desperately need time alone. Where I can walk around, and do things without worrying about their impact on another person. I don't want to have to TALK to another person. I don't want to have to negotiate and compromise and get into fights over dirty dishes or cleaning the floor....

Old 10-22-2011, 11:09 AM

410 posts, read 832,770 times
I currently net around $1200.00 a month and can't say I am making it. However, there are certain things I have that some people don't have, like a car payment. I also am not willing to give up my health insurance which costs me over $300 a month.

So in a nutshell, it can be done - but you will have to make some serious compromises to be comfortable. Ideally, rent should not consume more than 35% of your net pay. Some experts say 25%, but I think that is just unrealistic in this economy.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:29 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
That would rather ruin the point...I desperately need time alone. Where I can walk around, and do things without worrying about their impact on another person. I don't want to have to TALK to another person. I don't want to have to negotiate and compromise and get into fights over dirty dishes or cleaning the floor....
You sound so burnt out. I'm sorry. It must be very stressful for you.

Judging from the other replies on here, it sounds like your cost of living is pretty high. It may be difficult for you to swing it on your own.

If you cannot move to an area that has a lower cost of living you may have to settle for living in an area that is not safe or a place that is run down. It may be worth it to you, however, to get some peace of mind.

You might consider looking for something like a room in a house. Most of the time this kind of living arrangement still gives you your "me time". When I lived in a room in a house, we did not interact much. At least when you close the door, nobody bothers you. Tell people you are Jehova's Witness and they will keep arms' length. LOL

It's a thought, anyway.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-22-2011, 12:30 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,642 times
Quote:
I get by nicely on considerably less than 1500/month, but I can't drive, so I have no costs related to a vehicle. It's more a matter of finding a place you can afford - not necessarily an apartment, but maybe a fixer upper mobile home in a park. Once you pay for it and do the necessary repairs, space rent can be relatively low. Another option for a roommate with no 'presence' would be a serious student. Anyone who is working their way through college and studying would have no time left to bother you. You can also set out the terms very precisely before taking in a roomer, and if they don't like it, they don't have to take it. There really are quite a few options and permutations of options.

You might even find a roomer for your mother's place if there's a nursing school nearby. There would be someone on hand regularly who could keep an eye on her and do housekeeping chores as a 'thank you for allowing me to live here' for your mother, while you kept your distance and continued to oversee the financials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living