Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 02:33 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,142,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I do...I have 3,500 in savings. I always try to have money in case of veterinary emergencies, and I've had to use it enough to be very aware of the need for a emergency fund.

First/Last months rent, Moving expenses, Needed items, Utilities deposits, etc...

Not enough.

I don't feel comfortable unless I have $10-15K, and my income is a Gov't pension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 07:51 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,976,794 times
Quote:
I live in South Jersey.
Many parts of South Jersey are very affordable ... much below the national average as far as cost of living goes. Not the nice parts, though ... you couldn't afford to live in Haddonfield or Collingswood or Cape May or Bigantine.

Listen, there are a lot of agricultural farm workers that live in places like Vineland and Bridgeton ... on much less than you make.

I say: yes, you can do it! You can find a clean and safe apt. in the $500-$650 range, but it will not be in a desirable area.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:10 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,862,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
First/Last months rent, Moving expenses, Needed items, Utilities deposits, etc...

Not enough.

I don't feel comfortable unless I have $10-15K, and my income is a Gov't pension.

Yeah, if I wait to have that much I'm never going anywhere. It's just not possible.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:13 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,142,986 times
Quote:
Yeah, if I wait to have that much I'm never going anywhere. It's just not possible.
Yes, It is.

But I wasn't saying you needed that much.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:38 PM

3,606 posts, read 9,076,499 times
A friend of mine who is a social worker was telling me one of her client's sons was receiving a monthly payment to be the caregiver for his father because he is disabled, cooking, cleaning, paying bills. I'm not sure if you would qualify but it might be something to look into.

I do think it's possible to live on a very tight budget, especially if it means keeping your sanity. I can't imagine continuing in the situation you are currently in and being happy. Maybe you could let your siblings know you are planning on moving out and that your folks could use some additional financial help, even if the all pitched in $30 a month it would be a burden that you wouldn't have to bear. Frankly with all you do, your siblings should be helping out more.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:26 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,707,771 times
How about getting an inexpensive motel a couple nights a week? I know it is not the same, but it would at least give you a little time on your own without breaking the bank. Could be done for 4-500 a month.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:40 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,704,843 times
Ask any Ph.D. student and see how they survive on money like that. I have seen Post Doc research Scholars surviving on 1300 dollars per month.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:20 AM

18,741 posts, read 33,465,595 times
It sounds like the OP is taking care of someone who is, at most, middle-aged (50s?) and is mentally unwell. I agree with those who sympathize with OP's great desire to have a modest, live-alone-with-cat life. I'm from south Jersey (was just there this past weekend) and there's a lot of variation in areas, cost-wise, and car-dependence-wise. Yes, the car is paid for now, but cars age. Sounds like the mother owns her house (technically- if she's taken money out twice from equity) and likely isn't old enough or have enough equity for a reverse mortgage. Yes, OP could manage mother's finances from a distance- is OP legally guardian or whatever you'd call it?
I absolutely do not think we owe mentally ill/manipulative/"helpless" parents our lives. (Disclaimer- I had such a mother). OP really wants a modest life and deserves to get it. Best wishes.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:21 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,307,657 times
I don't know your exact situation, so this may not be an option for you at all. If you have the energy, a 'fun' part time job might be an interesting diversion. Depending on your personality, this side job could be something that is social or solitary; whatever makes you comfortable. When I was in college, I worked part time at the concession stand of a local swim club. I didn't have a lot of customers, so I spent a lot of time reading and chatting with other staff. In graduate school, I cut grass and cleaned gutters. While that sounds unpleasant to some people, it was amazingly therapeutic for me when I was doing chemical research and writing papers 12 hours a day. The extra income was just a bonus.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:36 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,862,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I don't know your exact situation, so this may not be an option for you at all. If you have the energy, a 'fun' part time job might be an interesting diversion. Depending on your personality, this side job could be something that is social or solitary; whatever makes you comfortable. When I was in college, I worked part time at the concession stand of a local swim club. I didn't have a lot of customers, so I spent a lot of time reading and chatting with other staff. In graduate school, I cut grass and cleaned gutters. While that sounds unpleasant to some people, it was amazingly therapeutic for me when I was doing chemical research and writing papers 12 hours a day. The extra income was just a bonus.
I have a full time job (salaried, so I don't get paid overtime), plus I have my writing that I'm trying to do. That said, I really want to work at our local wildlife sanctuary, even for low pay. I'm a trained veterinary technician (that's what I went to college for) and really miss working with animals. I just have no idea how I would fit it in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living