Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 02:01 AM

10,117 posts, read 19,465,980 times

Advertisements

I dont think I want to brave Black Friday!

Other than that, ideas for inexpensive, unique gifts--

some ideas I have--shop at thrift stores, antique places, etc. they have a lot of junk, but I've found some great ideas. Last year DS got me a brand-new Vera-? purse and a scarf that matched, it all matched my green coat, for $2 total! Also yard/garage sales, never know what you will find!

Other ideas---coupons, early bird sales, BOGO, gift with purchase, sign up for certain brands to get coupons, etc. this year we are keeping it down to 3 gifts each, for the 3 wisemenHey, tohse dudes were indeed wise, they didn't go overboard on the gifts! Also, Walmart is doing Laway again this year, just 10% down, I don't think you have to take it out until Dec 15, a chance to stock up on sales and gifts and a place to stash them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 04:55 AM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,157,491 times
We do food gifts, this way we know it will be used. I found some gifts in a jar books and will use those this year.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:42 AM

607 posts, read 1,407,143 times
Books. Most of the book stores have bargain tables, and if you go soon enough with an idea of what the person likes or likes to read, you can come up with nice gifts. Thsi is especially true for children.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:19 AM

6 posts, read 8,360 times
Ditto on food. A cute gift basket is absolutely fun to have.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:33 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,967,813 times
I start shopping in January for next year's Christmas. When Target does their annual toy clearance and stuff is 75% off, I pick up things to donate to toys for tots come December. When I see a brain teaser puzzle 90% off online, I'll stash it away for my dad. When I get a coupon for a free photo book or a $15 credit to shutterfly or something, I start planning a photo gift for my sister or mom.

By the time December rolls around, there's not much left.

The forums at slickdeals.net are my favorite.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:46 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,245,165 times
We started doing Secret Santa a few years ago. So now each adult only buys and gets one gift from the other adults (this is obviously just for close family). This has greatly cut down on expenses for everyone. And let's face it, most of the gifts weren't the greatest anyway.

Kids everyone still buys for though.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:21 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,883,036 times
Several years back I told most of my relatives that we prefered not to exchange gifts, other than homemade cakes, cookies or brownies. We all are blessed enough to have our needs met and it was frustrating and a struggle to come up with something they didn't already have or would really enjoy. The final straw for me was when I received a preferred gift list for a relative's child. We donate $ to food banks and animal causes and save time, money and stress from shopping for gifts. We do a secret santa with my husband's family and he and I usually put a little something under the tree for each other and our pets (dog/cat treats) but this was one of the best decisions we ever made! If you walk through a thrift store a few months after Christmas you see tons of prepackaged gifts that folks never opened. Living the simple life is such a blessing in soooo many different ways.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:15 PM

869 posts, read 1,498,415 times
I love giving thoughtfilled and special gifts to the people we buy for. A lot of these special things come from ebay or thrift stores because you can find something truly unique and meaningful. With my family we do a polyana with each adult bringing something under $20 and its always fun to try and find the best gift under 20! For my other side of the family, my mom was one of 5 and there are 12 grandchildren and 4 great grandchildren. A total of 14 (not counting married) grandchildren/cousins need to be bought for. So names get drawn out of a hat. I have one child so i get one child from another family to buy for. My sister has 3 children, she gets three other children to buy for. So every child gets something from another family, which is most likely from another geographical area too so some fun things come up.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:37 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,726,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I dont think I want to brave Black Friday!

Other than that, ideas for inexpensive, unique gifts--

some ideas I have--shop at thrift stores, antique places, etc. they have a lot of junk, but I've found some great ideas. Last year DS got me a brand-new Vera-? purse and a scarf that matched, it all matched my green coat, for $2 total! Also yard/garage sales, never know what you will find!

Other ideas---coupons, early bird sales, BOGO, gift with purchase, sign up for certain brands to get coupons, etc. this year we are keeping it down to 3 gifts each, for the 3 wisemenHey, tohse dudes were indeed wise, they didn't go overboard on the gifts! Also, Walmart is doing Laway again this year, just 10% down, I don't think you have to take it out until Dec 15, a chance to stock up on sales and gifts and a place to stash them.
As you post has pointed out the best results to giving on a budget is to "think differently" about where to shop.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:50 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,861,973 times
How about no shopping?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living