Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 12:03 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times

Advertisements

Reusing paper towels, napkins, and Kleenex tissue? Really? Why not just use cloth napkins and handkerchiefs. Just toss them in the laundry and you won't have a bunch of used paper products lying around until the next use. There was a time when all people used was cloth, even diapers.

Last edited by JGC97; 11-16-2011 at 12:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 05:55 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Tin Foil: Gets washed and reused.

I never bother to wash mine, but one sheet of foil lasts me for a year or two. The only thing I use it for is to spread under something in the oven that might drip, like sweet potatoes or frozen pizza. After using it, I put it back in the oven drawer with the cookie sheets, to save until next time. I still have most of the roll I bought 5 years ago.

Tin foil is one of the most wasteful applications in anyone's kitchen. I know people who wrap a half an apple in tinfoil to put it in the fridge, and then throw the foil away afterwards. All you need to do is place you half-apple (or anything else) cut side down on the flat surface of a yogurt lid, and it will keep fresh uncovered for days without discoloring.

My otherwise-dormant dishwasher is packed tight with plastic produce bags, which are better than tinfoil for wrapping leftovers.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:00 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Reusing paper towels, napkins, and Kleenex tissue? Really? Why not just use cloth napkins and handkerchiefs. Just toss them in the laundry and you won't have a bunch of used paper products lying around until the next use. There was a time when all people used was cloth, even diapers.
Well, then I would have wet used handkerchiefs laying around, unless I used a clean one every time, in which case I would need to buy hundreds of them and do a laundry load of nothing but hankies. I do use cloth napkins (dish-towels) at the dining table, of course. I have never bought a roll of paper towels in my life.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:53 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,635,365 times
I rarely use foil, it has gotten so expensive. Main use is to tear into quarters and use for cat food cans going into the frig. I use and reuse plastic bags. My kitchen towels and dishrags are in tatters, time to replace.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:59 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,077 times
Garbage in - garbage out. Those that ration toilet paper are idots who probably ration food also..Nothing worse that a person who is too cheap to eat...or feed others... The old Christian way was when a person came to your house you would give them the lions share - the best of the food in the house...and feed them before you fed yourself...I know of this white trash mother who re-uses tea bags and scolds a child for wanting more food....now to the other end of the biology of it all....if you want to save toilet paper - don't eat - good luck.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Well, then I would have wet used handkerchiefs laying around, unless I used a clean one every time, in which case I would need to buy hundreds of them and do a laundry load of nothing but hankies. I do use cloth napkins (dish-towels) at the dining table, of course. I have never bought a roll of paper towels in my life.

Point taken. I suppose if a person's nose is running like a faucet, hankies wouldn't be the best option.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:28 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
These cheapskate strategies are hilarious! They must be true, you can't make this stuff up.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
These cheapskate strategies are hilarious! They must be true, you can't make this stuff up.

I'm a huge advocate of Recycle, Reduce, Recycle and Reuse but it can be taken too far, imo. To each their own, though.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:55 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,545,596 times
I guess he would be called excentric.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:42 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Not really too funny if you give it some thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living