Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 10:57 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,251,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
I have a friend who washes plastic bags (Ziplocs) and reuses them to the point that they have holes in them and STILL uses them anyway. Isn't the whole point of plastic bags to keep the food fresh? I don't know how they keep food fresh with holes in them.
Nothing wrong with that! I try to do it myself....although I don't use them if they have holes. But, yeah, turn them inside out, give them a good soapy wash, and then either stand them up on a towel or put them over something (like silverware) in the drainer to dry.

Amy Dacyczyn, of The Tightwad Gazette fame, did that and she also washed and re-used tin foil (I have done it but I'm not real consistent).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Reusing paper towels, napkins, and Kleenex tissue? Really? Why not just use cloth napkins and handkerchiefs. Just toss them in the laundry and you won't have a bunch of used paper products lying around until the next use. There was a time when all people used was cloth, even diapers.
All five of my boys wore cloth diapers. I've never understood why everyone is so resistant to using them but they are a HUGE cost saver - especially if you line dry them.

A roll of paper towels usually lasts me at least two months, sometimes three, depending on the size of the roll, because we use cloth napkins and I use rags for almost all clean up. I've also been known to use the pages out of old phone books and newspapers for messy clean ups. I do use paper towels for draining bacon and a few clean ups.

I am a big believer in buying generic and store brands over name brands but I do make the exception with toilet paper. I have found that it pays to buy the more expensive t.p. (like Scott's) because the rolls have so much more on them. Buy the cheap stuff and it doesn't take long to empty the roll. I absolutely believe the extra money you spend for the more expensive t.p. is money well spent.

Last edited by Cinebar; 11-17-2011 at 11:15 PM..

Old 11-19-2011, 07:16 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,270,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
To me, it makes little sense to put a lot of effort into cutting back on the small things if you haven't made an honest effort to cut back on the big ticket items first like:

Housing
Cars
Vacations

In a lot of cases, the problem is not the housing and the cars. In many cases, it is the 2-3 sodas a day at $1.00 each or the Starbucks stop every morning. My coworker drops $1500/ year at Dunkin Donuts every year with her daily stops.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:53 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,431,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rummer View Post
In these economically-challenging times, how do you distinguish between cheapskates and frugal people? While I think recycling gift wrap paper is being frugal, regifting used toys as birthday presents is downright CHEAP! Yes, my former neighbour does that! Worse still, the toys were from her kids' McDonald's Happy Meals!

My question is - Are you or have you met someone cheaper?!!!
I recycle gift paper.
I regift, but not used. If I receive something I'm never ever going to use, why not give it to someone who wants it?
I wash and re-use baggies.
Some empty bread bags (the thicker ones) get rinsed and re-used.
I wash and re-use aluminum foil.
I save rubber bands from the newspaper.
I thin steak sauce, salad dressings, and worcestershire sauce with at least 1/3 water. Tastes the same, lowers the carbs. Doesn't work with ketchup, though
I also thin liquid soaps with water. Works just as well.
I don't buy clothes that need ironing.
I have never bought trash bags. Why should I when the paper and plastic bags from the stores work just as well?
I unplug everything except the refrigerator before I leave the house for more than 3 days.

To ragnarkar - - My house & truck are paid off so the big ticket items have been taken care of. But I believe they're paid off because I watched the pennies become dollars.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:57 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,245 times
Ibid on that list. If the aluminum foil is not cleanable, I ball it up and give to kitty for a plaything. I thin my dish and hand soaps and they last forever. Also unplug everything unless it is being used and unplug nearly everything whenever I leave the house.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:39 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,200,354 times
Quote:
In a lot of cases, the problem is not the housing and the cars. In many cases, it is the 2-3 sodas a day at $1.00 each or the Starbucks stop every morning. My coworker drops $1500/ year at Dunkin Donuts every year with her daily stops.
Giving up those daily coffee runs saved me tons of money. Let's face it, I wasn't getting coffee anyway...I was getting turbo charged dessert drinks and adult slurpies and sometimes something from the bakery case. I bought myself a nice 4 cup coffee maker and with a splash of half-n-half it makes any coffee I buy taste darn good.

I even have 5-6 coupons for free cups of drip coffee at Starbucks but I don't see the point! I have to make an effort to use them just so I don't leave money on the table.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:08 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,249,738 times
How do you wash tin foil?

I've gotten this way (washing baggies, not using paper towels much) because as a janitor I see SO MUCH WASTE. It's really gotten to me.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:16 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,431,085 times
Flat surface (drainboard) and a soapy sponge. Squeegee out from the middle. Quick rinse under the faucet.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:37 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
Wouldn't you save time by just rebuying plastig bags and tin foil? Washing it doesn't seem all that frugal in terms of invested time.

Or do you guys have your help wash them for you?

Last edited by NJBest; 11-19-2011 at 05:59 PM..

Old 11-19-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

Or do you guys have your help wash them for you?
WTF?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living