Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 03:50 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times

Advertisements

Ration TP? Why not just use the left hand like so many people in other cultures do? Just use water, and wash your hands well.

That being said, I don't ration TP. And I buy the expensive stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 03:58 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Ration TP? Why not just use the left hand like so many people in other cultures do? Just use water, and wash your hands well.

That being said, I don't ration TP. And I buy the expensive stuff.
You bring up a good point. Using TP is wasteful overall and unnecessary... but I prefer it.... and a non-rationed amount. Frankly it's all about me feeling clean rather than saving money.

But to those who are trying to be frugal, using TP at all instead of their hand and water..... makes no sense.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:02 PM

437 posts, read 792,492 times
I take my empty water bottles that I buy for about $3 per case and refill them from the kitchen faucet when empty. Take that designer bottled water companies.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:51 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

Ewww, that's even worse than the guy who separates the two-ply tissue and makes two rolls out of one.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrtx View Post
I take my empty water bottles that I buy for about $3 per case and refill them from the kitchen faucet when empty. Take that designer bottled water companies.

I don't buy bottled water, either. I don't store water in bottles, either. Even retail bottled-water has an expiration date on it. I fill and go as needed.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:54 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Ewww, that's even worse than the guy who separates the two-ply tissue and makes two rolls out of one.
They're all in the same category though. If you're rationing toilet paper, that means you're VERY concerned with being ABSOLUTELY frugal with no consideration on the impact of the quality of life. You might as well go the extra 1% and scrap the toilet paper overall.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
They're all in the same category though. If you're rationing toilet paper, that means you're VERY concerned with being ABSOLUTELY frugal with no consideration on the impact of the quality of life. You might as well go the extra 1% and scrap the toilet paper overall.

Yeah, they probably are in the same category. I wasn't disputing that. Just the entire thought of going without TP altogether is not something I'd consider. There are extremes to which many go in their frugality. IMO, this is extreme. Isn't it nice? My money, my choice.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:38 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Unplugging the clocks while out on vacation has to be the cheapest. Assuming three clocks which might use one watt, that is saving about 12 cents over two weeks.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:23 PM

12 cents? Not even enough to buy a pack of gum.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:35 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I don't cut the toothpaste tubes but I do make sure I squeeze as much as I can out before it goes in the garbage.

I "marry" my bottles of things like shampoo, ketchup, taco sauce, and barbecue sauce. And it doesn't matter if the shampoo are two different "flavors" - such as apple going into coconut or whatever. Same thing with the barbecue sauce - tangy honey can go into whatever other flavor I'm opening. I also do this with liquid laundry detergent and fabric softeners.

I can remember my mom putting a few drops of water into the almost empty ketchup bottles, and swirling it around so the last little bit would pour out of the bottle. I do that, too, sometimes.

I mix like ingredients also. I remember seeing my dad put water in the bottom of the ketchup bottle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living