Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 10:50 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times

Advertisements

I can't understand why anybody buys toilet paper when it's so easy to find old phone books. Just leave one by the throne and it provides reading material as well. Your guests will appreciate it. Do not flush it, however, as it will plug your pipes. Leave a box or bag for it; post a note for your guests.

When your guests leave always ask them to take a bag of trash to dump into some unguarded dumpster. Garbage pickup is a needless expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 07:03 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rummer View Post
In these economically-challenging times, how do you distinguish between cheapskates and frugal people? While I think recycling gift wrap paper is being frugal, regifting used toys as birthday presents is downright CHEAP! Yes, my former neighbour does that! Worse still, the toys were from her kids' McDonald's Happy Meals!

My question is - Are you or have you met someone cheaper?!!!
I have wondered about a friend of mine in another state.

She'll take one of her husband's shirts, iron it, and give it to her brother for a gift. She said he appreciates it, but honestly, I just cannot find this acceptable.

One time she bought me this glass clown figurine that was spendy but on a very good sale, but it broke before she shipped it to me. She glued it, didn't have the sense to pack it better or have it insured, and by the time I opened it, it was in pieces. Honestly, I found myself very annoyed with her, especially when she started to laugh.

And, no, she didn't do these things because they were poor. Not by any means. She just gets a little "different" sometimes.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:44 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Nothing wrong with that! I try to do it myself....although I don't use them if they have holes. But, yeah, turn them inside out, give them a good soapy wash, and then either stand them up on a towel or put them over something (like silverware) in the drainer to dry.

Amy Dacyczyn, of The Tightwad Gazette fame, did that and she also washed and re-used tin foil (I have done it but I'm not real consistent).
I have all three volumes of her Gazette. Love reading them over and over to get ideas!

Old 11-27-2011, 01:02 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
When I was real young we had a lady we'd visit who'd hang the tea bags up by the kitchen sink. She'd use them 2-3 times. And, she had a boarder in the house who used her bathroom. She had a line where the water mark could be for filling the tub. The hot water heater was set for tepid/warm. Ooh in the winter. But, she was a nice lady--just very frugal. She had to be--her husband died young, leaving her income very low.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:24 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
I have all three volumes of her Gazette. Love reading them over and over to get ideas!
I used to get her newsletter (up until she stopped publishing it) and I have the "big" book of The Tightwad Gazette - the one that combines all three volumes.

I use the homemade "Shake and Bake" for my pork chops, as well as make things like the homemade Rice-a-Roni and chocolate sauce (for when I'm craving a nice, cold glass of chocolate goat milk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
When I was real young we had a lady we'd visit who'd hang the tea bags up by the kitchen sink. She'd use them 2-3 times. And, she had a boarder in the house who used her bathroom. She had a line where the water mark could be for filling the tub. The hot water heater was set for tepid/warm. Ooh in the winter. But, she was a nice lady--just very frugal. She had to be--her husband died young, leaving her income very low.
I use a tea bag at least two times and have sometimes combined several for a third time. I also re-use my coffee grounds - the first day, I use fresh and the second day, I had three or four spoonfuls to the day before's grounds. Then they all go into the compost bucket. I also will re-heat coffee from one day to the next if it doesn't get drank (drunk?) the first day.

I also sometimes flip the breaker to my hot water heater in the summertime and flip it back on prior to doing dishes or showering. I do it in the summer but not in the winter, when it would take more to heat it back up (it's in kind of this outside closet thing).

Old 11-30-2011, 05:18 PM

836 posts, read 1,778,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I use a tea bag at least two times and have sometimes combined several for a third time.
Even though I don't think it saves much money, I just can not bring myself to throw them away after just one use if one tea bag makes two huge cups of strong tea!
Sometimes, I make two at once and either drink both if feel like it, or put one in the fridge for later

Old 12-01-2011, 11:41 PM

505 posts, read 1,664,582 times
Going through all 9 pages of this thread, I have not seen anyone mention the use of bidets yet. There was mention of washing, but that's it. Every bathroom in my house has a bidet and I can't imagine going back to the toilet without one these days.

Several years ago when I went to Japan on a business trip, I discovered the bidet! If you don't know what it is, it's a device that basically shoots a jet of water up to clean your privates. They range in pricing and you get everything from heated seats to blow dry models and even ones that have LCD screens and iPod connectivity. The ones we have are just the basic cool water models that we got from Amazon for $30 and I self-installed them all.

We would go through one of those Kirkland toilet paper reams at Costco once a month before the bidets were installed. Now. . . I would say maybe 3 to 4 months before we have to get more toilet paper. The only use for toilet paper is towel dry your behind. Water usage wise, we have not seen any increase in pricing from before so it's negligible.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:02 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiesgirl View Post
and even ones that have LCD screens and iPod connectivity..
I can't be the only one that gets very funny mental pictures of what these would be used for

Old 12-02-2011, 03:17 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
I think it's possible to be reasonable about toilet paper for example without being nuts about it. My great-grandparents had a "two-piece" rule about toilet paper for their kids and my mom and uncles, long after the Great Depression was over.

My mom actually suggested at one point using rags instead of toilet paper for her household and when I asked "how will you clean it" she couldn't answer lol. If you can handle doing something like that I guess whatever works, but that's a little gross to me, I'd rather pay for toilet paper.

If one uses a lot of toilet paper, it can seem like their money is getting sucked down the drain, but I don't feel that way about myself personally. It has a use, I limit myself on how much I use, and I buy the cheap stuff, therefore it's worth my money.

I worked with a woman whose grandfather used to save and use the same pieces of tin foil for years. Actually that's where I got the idea...

Old 12-02-2011, 09:08 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rummer View Post
In these economically-challenging times, how do you distinguish between cheapskates and frugal people? While I think recycling gift wrap paper is being frugal, regifting used toys as birthday presents is downright CHEAP! Yes, my former neighbour does that! Worse still, the toys were from her kids' McDonald's Happy Meals!

My question is - Are you or have you met someone cheaper?!!!
Each family member gets 2 squares of toilet paper ...and when one side gets used after a B.M.... you fold it over and use the other clean side ; no one gets greater than 2 squares . Desperate times require desperate measures ! ..... lol.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living