Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2010, 10:12 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,895,121 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember The Tightwad Gazette? It was a 3 volume series written by frugal queen, Amy Dacyczn (sp?). She told people not to buy her books, but to check them out from the library instead (hahahaha, bet her publishers loved that!) However, I really would recommend buying them as they will pay for themselves over and over again. These are EXCELLENT books for anyone looking to become more frugal. She has lots of recipes and very specific, workable tips, as well as essays on the general idea of frugality and how it relates to decisions like paying for college -- or not, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Tight.../dp/0375752250

This is a new "single volume" book that supposedly took the best from the original three volumes, but I would go ahead and try to find all three original volumes since I don't trust the publishers to know what "the best" is when creating this single volume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 11:47 AM

8,953 posts, read 20,727,806 times
In keeping with the frugal mindset of these book search the web to see if these books can be found in the used, overrun or orphan book market. I often find books I want for a 1/10 of new cost on this site (One of many).....

Alibris: Used Books, Used Textbooks, Rare & Out-of-Print Books

Old 01-16-2010, 05:43 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,747,000 times
I didn't find the book useful for our life but nevertheless, it was interesting to read. Got it from the library (free!). I'm not into saving "junk" for art projects, she has the space for it (a huge farm house). Nor am I into buying a LOT of stuff at once and saving it under the bed. But she has some really good points, definitely a good book to read.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:40 AM

16,413 posts, read 30,405,748 times
You buy a book and you pay your money.

Amy Dacyczn gives you about 1,500 money-savings ideas in that book. Adopt less than a dozen, you have probably made your money back.

Some of her ideas are a bit wacky but so what?

Old 01-16-2012, 01:41 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,042,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
You buy a book and you pay your money.

Amy Dacyczn gives you about 1,500 money-savings ideas in that book. Adopt less than a dozen, you have probably made your money back.

Some of her ideas are a bit wacky but so what?
Funny, I didn't find any of her ideas wacky. I think she's one of the smartest people on the planet. I applaud her efforts and ability to raise a family on little money. She truly is the "queen of frugal". I aspire to be like her.

I have all three of her books that I bought second hand. Truly a great read.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:47 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,054,091 times
I learned so much from TTG! I don't have kids or a big house, but there was plenty in the books that was applicable: mainly the attitude adjustment to creative frugality.

I think of TTG every time I stock up on loss leader grocery items to "stock your pantry with food bought at the lowest possible price."

I'll store cans of food under the bed if they are bought at a super low price.

I also hang to dry all my laundry.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:09 PM

500 posts, read 1,177,375 times
I read all three of them about 5 years ago maybe. Really loved them. I was already doing lots of what she talked about, and adopted more, but there's still about a thousand things I could still do if I wanted to put the energy and time into it. Although, she did have a lot of silly things in there, too, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living