Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 11:34 AM

103 posts, read 208,811 times

Advertisements

LOL I know but just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 11:52 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Sure. I keep more of the raise in pay.

When and if I ever get a raise again ....

Old 09-05-2011, 12:02 PM

103 posts, read 208,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Sure. I keep more of the raise in pay.
Good answer but I meant the amount of raise you get not the amount you save.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:16 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coors View Post

I'd guess it depends on if you are frugal or just cheap.

(I keep on calling myself cheap, and women I date say I'm just frugal)

Difference:

I spend money when I WANT to. (Including on them)

But I don't just buy Junk.

I have dress clothing which are very nice (Some paid full price and some bought second hand)

I drive a nice, but old used (cheap) car I paid cash for.

My motorcycles are nice, but paid for cash.

Don't eat out much (But get what I want (usually expensive) when I do)

Now, if I wore clothing till it fell off, had my teeth pulled to save on dental bills (I knew a guy one time who did this) and 'saved money' on deodorant...

Then yes!

Old 09-05-2011, 03:02 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
I have always been very good at negotiating a good salary...more so for a new job...but also for getting a raise or promotion at an existing job. It is actually quite fun. It helps that my line of work (IT) is in high demand.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:29 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Yes. When I worked at the bank, they loved money saving ideas and would either pay out bonuses for them or give out better raises. Of course it had to be more than a one time thing....

Old 09-06-2011, 08:17 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
I've posted about this in various places including the Work-Employment forum and here are some findings:

For sales jobs, yes. You can't neglect your appearance including a fancy car / house or customers will wonder

It doesn't seem very common but some employers take great interest in their employees' financial situations, going as far as to investigate their house, cars, balance sheet, etc. They view someone who has lots of debt and / or living paycheck to paycheck as being "chained" by their jobs and cannot compromise without fear of being fired.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:32 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
In general it has an effect on everything and the way people perceive you, and especially at work. I'd never tell anyone I got a deal on this, that or the other after many hard learned lessons. So I would not limit it to raises, rather if you get the job, raises, promotions, and even if you keep your job.

I might go to Good Will (gosh, is it one word or two?) and buy Ann Taylor in good shape, but I'd never tell anyone where I got it.

I was on a horrid business trip where I was harrassed no end by a coworker and trapped with all these men in another city. I was relentlessly harrassed the whole time. One of the comments was that I wear cheap clothes. The others were far worse, but it sure makes a person think.

And I do think employers go so far as to even looking at your resume to see where you live, in what part of town to judge you. To those who live in sketchy areas, I might consider getting a PO Box in a better part of town when looking for a job considering today's tough economy and just putting that on my resume. No one really needs to know a residential address anyway. It's none of their business, but not sure how that would come across to just leave it off, but I digress.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:32 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
In my experience, no. Without exception, the companies I have worked for give raises either based on a preset formula or a combination of the employee's value to the company and/or his or her negotiating skills.

But if you were in a position where applying your personal frugality to your job saves the company money, that would definitely enhance your value to the company.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:32 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coors View Post
Its the same concept. Saving is like getting raise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living