Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 08:42 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,541,852 times

Advertisements

I think there are really only two ways to solve a budgeting problem:

a) decrease expenses
b) increase income

I don't think there is a gray area in between, although a combination of the two would probably be optimal.

If a person cannot increase income, then the only choice is to reduce expenses.

If a person cannot reduce expenses, then the only choice is to increase income.

I think it really is just that simple.

So you will need to ask yourself- can you do A, B, or a combo?

After that, you get into the nitty gritty details of making the numbers work.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:03 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,152,771 times
OP - sorry you like all teh answer/advice. Yes, some are harsh. However, many are just trying to give helpful advice. As Kitten just said, you either reduce expenses or increase income. Okay, so you can't work, we get that. You can't increase income.

So then you must reduce expenses. My next door neighbor lives on disability. He can't afford cable, so he doesn't have it. He admits he gets bored with no cable and not much else to do, but he makes do. Would he like it? Yes. But it's simply not in his budget so he makes do with rabbitt ears and what he gets off those.

You do what you have to do.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:09 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,564,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janacanada View Post
Your 18 y/o who will be going to college should not have to help out, do you understand how stressful going to college and working is, esp if she's in a full time program? You are an adult I suggest you look for a job instead of depending on your mother and daughter. This post makes me so angry, my mother was exactly like this, only she did work (the bare minimum).
You need to get a job, if you have problems getting one, seek help from social services. There is no reason why you should not be working when your children are this age. no wonder people btch and complain about people on welfare in America, this would never happen in Canada, the government would make you look for work and there is no way you'd be seeing $2200 a month.
My son attends college fulltime and works on weekends. We could fund more of his college but refuse to do so. Our thoughts are this will make him appreciate his education more and nothing in life is free. He still maintains high honors with distinction status. If there is a will, there's a way.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:43 AM

82 posts, read 150,432 times
Thx to everyone for all the replies. I'm actually pretty smart so I do get it. Guess I was trying to get an idea on where in the US it might be more affordable and safe to move and got a little more than I bargained for with the judgments from some. Didn't expect people to get so angry about somethiing they obviously don't understand and really didn't expect to get into so much of my personal issues. Anyway, I will be fine. I know that. I just happen to be a worrier. As 1 poster put it, you do what you have to do and I will do what I have to do. I have always taken care of my family and will continue to do so. In the meantime, I hope all the haters never have to deal with anything that brings on the need for empathy and compassion as I am seeing a lot of people (not necessarily on here) don't have much of it for any 1 under any circumstances and that's a shame in our world. Best wishes, Stephanie

Old 03-05-2012, 06:46 AM

@jana - how are you so sure I haven't taken any advice? see this is what I mean. And I really don't care about people I don't know making "FUN" of me if that's what you call it.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:36 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,152,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlwithnolife View Post
Thx to everyone for all the replies. I'm actually pretty smart so I do get it. Guess I was trying to get an idea on where in the US it might be more affordable and safe to move
But you said your mother won't move, and made it seem like if she won't, then you won't either.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:41 AM

Thx CTGirl, The thing is is my mom pays the electric bill water bill and buys groceries. We are ok with that right now. I just worry if something happens to her. She doesn't want to move cause of her job, she says we need it but she's the 1 who needs it. She has never been able to budget. She is the type that no matter how much she makes she will be broke if you know what I mean. I mean I could move but it really wouldn't be any cheaper if she didn't go with me and if she did and had to quit working I'd never hear the end of it. Guess I'm just worrying in advance.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:47 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlwithnolife View Post
Hi all, I've been worrying for the last couple years about this. Admittedly, I am a worrier but here's the deal - I am a single mom with 17 and 18 yr old. Mom, who is 74 and still working, is also with us. My rent is 900 a month. I get 2200 a month on SS but when son turns 18 it will drop 1000 a month. I will have 1360 a month then. My mom helps with food and electricity. My mom also says Oh don't worry I'll just give you some towards the rent, but I do worry. She is 74 with peripheral artery disease and if something were to happen to her I couldn't afford it. My 18 yr old is going to college and working. I know she would help if she has it but it's so stressful to worry about it. Here is a picture of my situation
Rent - 900.00
TV, phone - 129.00
Car - 360.00 for 2 more years
Ins. - 200.00
I am willing to move, as I live in expensive area, but have never been anywhere and don't really know where to go. Mother just wants to stay here cause of her job. I'm going to have 700 a month to live on after ins. car payment etc. Have even thought about buying but could only qualify for 50-60k and don't know what I could get for that. Nothing around here. I am in Md in the DC/Va/Metro area. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx, Steph
Sell your car and get a beater.
Move to a less expensive place.
Dump your TV and phone and get a prepaid cell phone for $30 a month.
Find a way to get some more income such as selling things on eBay or craigslist, or babysitting or baking cakes or *something*.
Have any child who is working contribute by paying their fare share of the rent, utilities and food.

Your figures only add up to $1589. Where is the other money going? Other than food, where can you cut back on that? No movies, not eating out, not buying presents.

It's amazing how much money you can save by omitting the unnecessary things and sticking to just the basics.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-05-2012, 09:03 AM

566 posts, read 958,143 times
What a mess this sounds like.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:09 AM

249 posts, read 803,333 times
To the adult person who calls herself 'girlwithnolife', even though she's already had 2 marriages, two apparently healthy children, and a caring mother:

Take more medication, or get a different prescription. Whatever you are on is no longer working.
You seem to have a lot of time to waste judging all of us here on CD. Why not use some of that time to get a JOB working from HOME on your computer??? And both of those kids could bring in a few bucks, as well. It wouldn't kill them to work part time.

Now I'll sit back and wait for your vicious attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living