Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 09:38 AM

253 posts, read 557,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlwithnolife View Post
@jana - how are you so sure I haven't taken any advice? see this is what I mean. And I really don't care about people I don't know making "FUN" of me if that's what you call it.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:57 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,368,878 times
Quote:
Thx CTGirl, The thing is is my mom pays the electric bill water bill and buys groceries. We are ok with that right now. I just worry if something happens to her. She doesn't want to move cause of her job, she says we need it but she's the 1 who needs it. She has never been able to budget. She is the type that no matter how much she makes she will be broke if you know what I mean. I mean I could move but it really wouldn't be any cheaper if she didn't go with me and if she did and had to quit working I'd never hear the end of it. Guess I'm just worrying in advance.
I understand your situation concerning your mother, and I feel bad for some of the responses you received here. There is a large percentage of people out there who have no sympathy for people who get government assistance, and tout "self sufficiency" at any cost. They usually belong to a group on the very conservative side. At any rate. I understand what you are saying about it not making any sense to move now because of the income which your mother contributes, and I agree with you. However, what is necessary that you start doing now is preparing yourself in advance of the one day inevitable.

You need to first give up some of the things that you won't be able to afford when your mother dies, and also when the other part of your income goes bye bye. In other words you need to start now living the life and preparing yourself. When you are on your own, you may need a car if you do not live in a city near stores in walking distance or public transportation. But that day may not come for another 5 yrs. or more. At your mother's age. How long can she continue working? I assume she also gets social security.

When she can no longer work, you must move to a very low cost of living area. You must also develop NOW a plan for earning additional money. As I told you before, you can earn at least $950 a month (Maybe $1,000 now) without it effecting your benefits. If you are smart and are a good speller and have good grammar, perhaps you could do some editing. I don't know where your talents lay, but there is something you can do to earn money, and you need start exploring the possibilities now while you have some time to grow a business. Not wait until it is crises time. Start by putting some time into looking on the internet for ways to earn income from home.

Learn how to groom dogs, by forcing yourself to work for a groomer even if it is for free for three or four months until you become feel confident enough.
Then start by advertising in a local paper, handing out flyers, craigs list etc.
Advertise cheaper rates than the shops are charging. When the average rate for a small dog is $40, you advertise it for $30. It will take you more than a year maybe two to build up a clientele. I think of this, as I love animals and it was my first business when I was young. When I closed my shop, I did it out of my apartment (two family home) in which the landlord lived downstairs and was very nice. Doing just over 1 dog a day (five day week) would bring you almost $900. These are just ideas. You need to formulate your own. AND START NOW.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:07 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,506,675 times
Quote:
Thx to everyone for all the replies. I'm actually pretty smart so I do get it. Guess I was trying to get an idea on where in the US it might be more affordable and safe to move and got a little more than I bargained for with the judgments from some. Didn't expect people to get so angry about somethiing they obviously don't understand and really didn't expect to get into so much of my personal issues. Anyway, I will be fine. I know that. I just happen to be a worrier. As 1 poster put it, you do what you have to do and I will do what I have to do. I have always taken care of my family and will continue to do so. In the meantime, I hope all the haters never have to deal with anything that brings on the need for empathy and compassion as I am seeing a lot of people (not necessarily on here) don't have much of it for any 1 under any circumstances and that's a shame in our world. Best wishes, Stephanie
In the South and Mid-West. Texas, Lousiana, Mississippi.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Thx CTGirl, The thing is is my mom pays the electric bill water bill and buys groceries. We are ok with that right now. I just worry if something happens to her. She doesn't want to move cause of her job, she says we need it but she's the 1 who needs it. She has never been able to budget. She is the type that no matter how much she makes she will be broke if you know what I mean. I mean I could move but it really wouldn't be any cheaper if she didn't go with me and if she did and had to quit working I'd never hear the end of it. Guess I'm just worrying in advance.
Have you done comparison on Electric bill companies? Do you use coupons on groceries?

Teach her how to budget.

Use Yodlee Money Center online, it if free. That is what I use.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
What a mess this sounds like.
No it not a mess as it seems. This can be corrected pretty fast moving forward.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:27 PM

82 posts, read 150,444 times
I noticed a lot of homes for sale in henderson NV at very low costs. Any 1 have any idea why? And infoguy I will check out Texas ty

Old 03-05-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
I noticed a lot of homes for sale in henderson NV at very low costs. Any 1 have any idea why? And infoguy I will check out Texas ty
Nevada is most likely the biggest housing bust in the history of USA ever. Lot of people bought homes there for investments and people who bought them did not pay their mortgage causing defaults. Also very high unemployment.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:33 PM

Ya I see my son got on here. Mama's boy Yes info guy I have been looking for dog sitting walking child care etc. just haven't found anything yet.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:35 PM

I actually do make some money playing online poker but not steady enough.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:06 PM

I gotta laugh at this. Some of the biggest arguments we have ever gotten in has been over her spending. It's her money, yada yada, yada. Then anything she has ever done for me in my life gets thrown in my face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living